Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

To carve or NOT to carve... This.is.the.question

+4
JimLewis
BobbyLane
Richard S
BonsaiDil
8 posters

Go down

To carve or NOT to carve... This.is.the.question Empty To carve or NOT to carve... This.is.the.question

Post  BonsaiDil Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:57 am

Hi guys! I'm new to bonsai (5 months) and I have acquired this maple about 2 weeks ago. I love the natural hollow on this tree and the tapering and movement is pretty amazeballzzzz (I think) !!!LOL The picture below is after I've re-potted, pruned and wired the tree. I know not to touch this tree (carving) until maybe next Spring or the Spring after next to let it settle in its new pot but I was wondering what you guys thought about making the hollow higher (to the second cut wound) in the future? My main focus for this year is growing the branches out (specially on the right) and I'm hoping that it will back-bud on the areas that I need it to, but if not then I would be doing some grafting. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

To carve or NOT to carve... This.is.the.question Bare10

Second and third image is a virtual image of what I have planned for this tree to look in the future. One with it's current hollow and the second with the hollow extended.

To carve or NOT to carve... This.is.the.question Plan210
To carve or NOT to carve... This.is.the.question Img_1410

This is how the tree looked the day I took it home.
To carve or NOT to carve... This.is.the.question Fullsi10
BonsaiDil
BonsaiDil

Back to top Go down

To carve or NOT to carve... This.is.the.question Empty Re: To carve or NOT to carve... This.is.the.question

Post  Richard S Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:02 am

Nice tree! Lots of character in that trunk. I like it and you've done a good job of initial styling.

Regards the issue of carving, your virtual looks good to me although it might be best for the tree to do it in stages over a few years.

Regards

Richard
Richard S
Richard S

Back to top Go down

To carve or NOT to carve... This.is.the.question Empty Re: To carve or NOT to carve... This.is.the.question

Post  BobbyLane Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:40 am

I think the tree looks great the way it is, I dont believe carving will enhance it. the two natural Uro add character and i think its a nice twisty trunk without any visible horrible chops or scarring. also, carving on Maples isnt very popular and some dont heal very well. ive only really carved trunks that had ugly chop marks at the top...
BobbyLane
BobbyLane

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:55 pm

I agree with Bobby.

Carving can be -- and often is -- overdone. And, with a trunk that small (though very well shaped) it can be dangerous for the tree. I know, the lure can be strong, but I'd urge you to resist.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  appalachianOwl Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:35 am

Nice Acer! I will have to agree with the, "don't carve", it is so nice as it is.
appalachianOwl
appalachianOwl

Back to top Go down

Post  Precarious Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:59 am

Nice find on that tree! Lots of character. I don't know how proportionate you meant your canopy virtual to be, but I would suggest smaller- let that trunk stand out.
Precarious
Precarious

Back to top Go down

Post  BonsaiDil Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:15 am

Thanks everyone! I think you are all right about not carving. I'll focus on the canopy and working in growing branches and ramification. Smile
BonsaiDil
BonsaiDil

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:22 pm

And remember, in bonsai, less is often more.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  roberttamsar Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:55 am

I prefer not to carve. Especially when seeing the fresh green leaf on the first picture (the one without an extended carving). I always imagine the hollow trunk like that combined with the dead trunk or branch, or without such a densely leaves. Sorry for my english.
roberttamsar
roberttamsar

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Leppo Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:45 am

I think, since you are new (like I am), you will likely have other opportunities to carve other collected trees. The ones that you chop down will all have big wounds to deal with. When you find one lie this, take advantage.

Dave Leppo

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down