Creation of a Large Rock Planting

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Creation of a Large Rock Planting

Post  jgeanangel on Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:37 pm

I am succumbing to the pressure:)

Here is a video of some work I did recently. This composition represents several years of preparation...Developing and training trees, finding and assembling the right stones, determining the trees and positions on the stone... It's nice when a plan finally comes together:)

I am interested in your comments and thoughts!


jgeanangel
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Creation of a Large Rock Planting

Post  Precarious on Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:57 pm

I've never created something nearly so complex or refined, but I recognize the envisioning, long planning, searching and gathering, and that feeling of seeing it all come together. Bravo, well done! Very natural proportions and flow!

My rock plantings have always involved the roots running down to a base soil in a container, so I am not familiar with the muck process. I assume the muck is used as a container- could you describe your process for allowing water to get in to the roots and how you made sure it would be able to drain away?

Precarious
Member


Back to top Go down

Bonsai Landscape

Post  Bolero on Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:06 pm

I've watched your video and found it most informative and interesting.
No critique necessary... the Landscape is near perfect as far as I am concerned.
I'm impressed with the size and shape of your Shimpaku Juniper's, you've done well in their training and growth, exceptionally well IMO.
Also very nice Azaelas, would like to see the Landscape when in bloom.
My new quest for 2015 will be to locate some Lace Rock like yours...I'm inspired.
I would like to know the actual size of your Bonsai Landscape.

Here is one that I have recently created but on a much smaller scale.
http://ibonsaiclub.forumotion.com/t16422-what-should-a-bonsai-planting-accent-say

Bolero
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Creation of a Large Rock Planting

Post  jgeanangel on Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:02 pm

Precarious wrote:I've never created something nearly so complex or refined, but I recognize the envisioning, long planning, searching and gathering, and that feeling of seeing it all come together.  Bravo, well done!  Very natural proportions and flow!

My rock plantings have always involved the roots running down to a base soil in a container, so I am not familiar with the muck process.  I assume the muck is used as a container- could you describe your process for allowing water to get in to the roots and how you made sure it would be able to drain away?

Hey Precarious! Thank you for your kind words.

The muck is the substrate for the plant material more than a container per se... Watering a rock planting is a process...I usually hit mine 3-4 times each time I water to make sure that the water has ample opportunity to soak in... It is essential when using muck that you have a moss covering on the muck or it will be washed away when watering.

Here is a post I made a few years ago about the process I use for creating this type of planting...
http://ibonsaiclub.forumotion.com/t1806-creating-a-rock-planting-video-tutorial

jgeanangel
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Creation of a Large Rock Planting

Post  jgeanangel on Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:04 pm

Bolero wrote:I've watched your video and found it most informative and interesting.
No critique necessary... the Landscape is near perfect as far as I am concerned.
I'm impressed with the size and shape of your Shimpaku Juniper's, you've done well in their training and growth, exceptionally well IMO.
Also very nice Azaelas, would like to see the Landscape when in bloom.
My new quest for 2015 will be to locate some Lace Rock like yours...I'm inspired.
I would like to know the actual size of your Bonsai Landscape.

Here is one that I have recently created but on a much smaller scale.
http://ibonsaiclub.forumotion.com/t16422-what-should-a-bonsai-planting-accent-say


Hey Bolero...Thank you!

This planting is about 24" tall X 30" wide X 18" deep...probably weights 60-70lbs

jgeanangel
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Creation of a Large Rock Planting

Post  kevin stoeveken on Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:33 pm

jgeanangel wrote:I am succumbing to the pressure:)  

my evil plan is working !

BWAH-HA-HA-HA !!! Twisted Evil

just kidding john Razz
keep 'em coming !

like i said on the arboretum thread, this one is outstanding !

kevin stoeveken
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Creation of a Large Rock Planting

Post  LanceMac10 on Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:28 pm

Odd, getting no video from any of johng's posts. Must be my end?!?!

LanceMac10
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Creation of a Large Rock Planting

Post  jgeanangel on Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:40 pm

LanceMac10 wrote:Odd, getting no video from any of johng's posts. Must be my end?!?!

Are you on filtered access...such as at work??? the videos are embedded from youtube so if youtube is blocked you may not see anything

jgeanangel
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Creation of a Large Rock Planting

Post  LanceMac10 on Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:20 pm

No, I've got you-tube access. I'll keep trying. Anything you put up is worth searching for!! Perhaps I'll just go to you-tube and scope them out.

LanceMac10
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Creation of a Large Rock Planting

Post  kevin stoeveken on Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:41 pm

hey lance... it aint just you... i see no youtube image on the forum here at work, but youtube is not blocked...
however, if i go directly to youtube, i need to check a box saying that it is work related and the action is logged with the IT dept Rolling Eyes

so i think that partial filter is what keeps the image from showing up here on the forum... at least for me.

so i am stuck watching youtube videos on my own time Crying or Very sad Wink

_________________

AAC Original Milwaukee Wi. Chapter - North America

aka beer city snake
link to ARBOR ARTS COLLECTIVE BLOG

kevin stoeveken
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Creation of a Large Rock Planting

Post  LanceMac10 on Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:33 pm

Puzzling, I stream you-tube all day for some tunes, (Queens of the Stone Age first album, currently). Johng must be putting up some racy sheet!!!

LanceMac10
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Creation of a Large Rock Planting

Post  jgeanangel on Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:02 pm

LanceMac10 wrote:Puzzling, I stream you-tube all day for some tunes, (Queens of the Stone Age first album, currently). Johng must be putting up some racy sheet!!!

here is the link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNmCPhsErsI

jgeanangel
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Creation of a Large Rock Planting

Post  LanceMac10 on Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:27 pm

Thanks for the link John! I'm home now and the videos are available. Now, the reason is obvious, your videos are tree-porn!!! Thanks for sharing with us "seedy tree-peepers"!!! Now, I'm curious about my IT guys take on container-growing?!?! Thanks again.

LanceMac10
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Creation of a Large Rock Planting

Post  kevin stoeveken on Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:44 pm

LanceMac10 wrote:Thanks for the link John! I'm home now and the videos are available. Now, the reason is obvious, your videos are tree-porn!!! Thanks for sharing with us "seedy tree-peepers"!!! Now, I'm curious about my IT guys take on container-growing?!?! Thanks again.

Laughing Razz Laughing Razz

oh yeah, and QOTSA ! Twisted Evil

_________________

AAC Original Milwaukee Wi. Chapter - North America

aka beer city snake
link to ARBOR ARTS COLLECTIVE BLOG

kevin stoeveken
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Creation of a Large Rock Planting

Post  Sponsored content Today at 7:54 am


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum