Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can I repot my Serissa in the winter?

4 posters

Go down

Can I repot my Serissa in the winter? Empty Can I repot my Serissa in the winter?

Post  f1pt4 Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:09 pm

It's winter, and it's cold, but spring is around the corner.

Maybe it's cabin fever talking, but I was wondering if I could get away with successfully re-potting my Serissa at this time of the year?

It's been sitting under T5's and LED's with other warm weather loving trees since fall, and for the most part it's been quite healthy, even permitting me to take clippings that rooted in December.  Thanks to whoever suggested the upside down tupperware growing dome... works like a charm.  I even have about 30 ficus clippings taking root in one of four tupper-domes.

I've been battling insects off and on over the indoor growing season.  Just when I think I won, a couple weeks later I notice the bastards return, even with regular spraying.  The aphids are under control, and no mites to be found, but I think I have fungus gnats, little microscopic slithering insects found underneath my pot.

So...  the reason for re-potting is this, although the tree seems content surviving in it's current form until a spring repot, I noticed what once was healthy roots protruding through the mesh in the drainage holes now look like dried up hair.  I just want the tree to be happy when it goes and starts enjoying real sun again.

Can I get away with a repot?  Should I do it or wait until spring?

I have a constant temperature of 70-77F with a humidity of about 30-40%  I know the humidity should be higher, but I can't do much right now except mist regularly during the day.  Some might say, use a humidity tray, and I do, but I found those slithering SOB's love it when the lava rocks are wet, so I keep the the moisture in there less than I should.  Cover the sides of the growing shelves with plastic?  Can't do that either as the lights are suspended from the ceiling and my wife would kill me if there were sheets of plastic hanging from the ceiling in the office.  Might give her ideas of renovation, which I'm trying to avoid Rolling Eyes

If I were to repot, from the info that I've gathered Serissa's like it moist.  I have various potting mediums for various trees, most of which are sleeping under snow.  Just go with a standard organic bonsai soil mix?  or should I throw in some Haydite, Lava, or Akadama in there as well?

Any info would be much appreciated.  I am but just a young grasshopper.  Living up north.  In the cold.

I'm pretty much done with winter.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Mike.
f1pt4
f1pt4

Back to top Go down

Can I repot my Serissa in the winter? Empty Re: Can I repot my Serissa in the winter?

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:34 pm

f1pt4 wrote:
So...  the reason for re-potting is this, although the tree seems content surviving in it's current form until a spring repot, I noticed what once was healthy roots protruding through the mesh in the drainage holes now look like dried up hair.  I just want the tree to be happy when it goes and starts enjoying real sun again.

hey mike - i am with you on being a grasshopper who is sick of winter
(cabin fever has me posting here waaaay too much)

if the reason you stated is the only reason for a re-pot, then i personally would wait as i believe it is normal for roots protruding from drain holes to just dry up... which is how "roots pots" work... the roots encounter the holes in the sides of the pot, poke themselves out for a look-see, are exposed to air and dry up, thus being self pruning (and eliminating root circling)...

btw - if a grasshopper sees its shadow on february 2nd does that mean more or less winter is coming ?

who gives a crap, because any grasshopper looking at his shadow on february 2nd is most likely not in wisconsin or canada !!! Razz

cabin fever bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce

Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Can I repot my Serissa in the winter? Empty Re: Can I repot my Serissa in the winter?

Post  JimLewis Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:05 pm

Not recommended.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  f1pt4 Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:28 pm

@beercitysnake Your last emoticon sums it up. It shall remain untouched. Any thoughts on soil for the spring time?

@JimLewis I appreciate the straight to the point answer.

Thanks for the quick response gentlemen. There is also another (although not valid) reason. I got some new purdy pots lol.

Cheers,

Mike.

f1pt4
f1pt4

Back to top Go down

Post  f1pt4 Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:45 pm

beer city snake wrote:

btw - if a grasshopper sees its shadow on february 2nd does that mean more or less winter is coming ?

who gives a crap, because any grasshopper looking at his shadow on february 2nd is most likely not in wisconsin or canada !!!  Razz

cabin fever  bounce  bounce  bounce  bounce  bounce  bounce  bounce  bounce  bounce  bounce  bounce

If I'm not mistaken a shadow WAS seen on Feb 2nd.  However as of February 19th, it's still -30C outside..

...oh how I long for the 3 month growing season to arrive... What a Face ...if it wasn't for the free healthcare and hockey... I sez to Mabelle I sez..
f1pt4
f1pt4

Back to top Go down

Post  Precarious Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:56 pm

Don't forget the cool leaf on the flag!
Precarious
Precarious

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down