Mites & Mealy Bugs

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Mites & Mealy Bugs

Post  Lost2301 on Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:31 am

I have been using plain old rubbing alcohol (RA) mixed 1/3 - 1/2 with water in a spray bottle for mites. It kills them all, I spray 3 days in a row and I don't have any more problems. You must spray the whole tree, leaves, branches, trunk and soil.

It also does great on Mealy Bugs. I tried RA and a Q tip on Mealy Bugs one winter on indoor trees and never did kill them all. Spraying the whole tree including the soil gets ride of them quick.

The Denver Botanic Gardens uses RA in their greenhouses.

Mike

Lost2301

Back to top Go down

Re: Mites & Mealy Bugs

Post  Leo Schordje on Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:56 pm

This is an excellent home remedy that does work. This will work on Adelgids too. Excellent for small to medium size collections. Thanks for reminding me of this one.

Key to success is the repeat applications, as there is no residual toxicity. Eggs of mites, mealies and adelgids are often unaffected by the alcohol sprays. You have to reapply after enough time has passed for eggs to hatch, but spray before hatched larva from the eggs have time to grow enough to begin laying eggs again. Mites can breed in as little as 2 to 4 days depending on temperature. Mealies take about 7 to 14 days, I'm not sure what the timing is for adelgids, but it is likely the same as mealies.

Leo Schordje

Back to top Go down

Post  Jaybirds on Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:27 pm

I was taught to add equal parts of rubbing alcohol, water and Dawn dishwashing detergent. I believe I was told the dish liquid helped with eggs. As mentioned above, it works great and a few applications are all you need.

P.S. I clean the blades of my tools with alcohol as well.

Jane

Jaybirds

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 4:06 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum