Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Yew. Ideas/comments

5 posters

Go down

Yew. Ideas/comments Empty Yew. Ideas/comments

Post  Talladale Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:44 pm

I dug this 20 -30 year old (very approximately) yew out of a hedge in my garden some years ago.
Yew. Ideas/comments Tree_zps1350cb27

It has survived in its tub despite rather than because of my attentions but I plan to start doing something this year.

Yew. Ideas/comments Tree1_zpsf5eeeecc

I suspect that this will mainly be shortening branches, cutting out straggly growth and trying to get some more useful foliage growing but suggestions are very welcome.

For the future I'm thinking of something a little more radical.

There are 4 trunks, a small one arising from ground level and 3 larger ones from a trifurcation.

Yew. Ideas/comments Tree2_zps1c8bca55

Yew. Ideas/comments Tree3_zps1195540f

The trifurcation point is, unfortunately, a rather aesthetically displeasing height above soil level so I'm wondering if some sort of air-layering procedure could be carried out just below the origin of the large trunks.  Any ideas/advice?
Talladale
Talladale

Back to top Go down

Yew. Ideas/comments Empty Re: Yew. Ideas/comments

Post  leatherback Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:30 am

Well.. Air layering is always an option. However, I would start by giving this plant some attention for a year or maybe even more. Right now, I would not work on it. it is not nearly healthy enough by the looks of the needle length, colour & density..
leatherback
leatherback

Back to top Go down

Post  Precarious Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:06 pm

Are the primary branches too thick in relation to trunk thickness, perhaps? I've not worked with yew, so I don't know how it would respond to a trunk chop, but it seems to back bud pretty well.
Precarious
Precarious

Back to top Go down

Post  Talladale Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:57 am

A few branches are a little too thick but the main problem is that most of them grow in the same direction giving a very lop-sided shape with a lot of branches crossing in front of one trunk as you can see in the top picture.  This shows the side of the tree which was up against the hedge and which I've left facing south in an attempt to get a few buds appearing.

My general plan at the moment is something along these lines;

Yew. Ideas/comments Plan_zpsf48d037f

but that may well change as I see what the tree does.  Yews seem to me to be a very variable feast as far as shape and style goes.
Talladale
Talladale

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:48 pm

I think you will find it will grow a lot better if you move it away from the wall. It certainly will help with the three-dimensionality of the plant.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Vance Wood Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:57 pm

leatherback wrote:Well.. Air layering is always an option. However, I would start by giving this plant some attention for a year or maybe even more. Right now, I would not work on it. it is not nearly healthy enough by the looks of the needle length, colour & density..

Absolutely correct. The tree has not been getting enough light and probably not enough water. Fertilizing is likely and issue as well. No work should be done on an unhealthy tree. There are a lot of possibilities with a tree like this but not in its current condition.
Vance Wood
Vance Wood

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down