Larch styling question

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Larch styling question

Post  Thomas Urban on Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:54 am

Skiing was definitely first, the buy one get one free is a simple joke Wink

Yes, the apex of this tree is f'd right now, it needs much more ramification and it needs to be rounded. I didn't want to try to make it look like something happened to the top I just knew deep down that the former top would always be an eyesore and I would always not like the proportions.

I took the plunge and cut something off because I feel the new area that will have the future apex will bring the crown closer to the trunk and improving the look.

Thanks for checking it out Smile

Thomas Urban

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard S on Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:21 pm

Trees looking great and I like the new pot (although it's still a bit smaller than I'd choose but if the trees healthy.....).

Unlike Kevin I think you were right to take off the top. I really like the dramatic way you've styled the branches and the apex needs to complement that. I suppose you could have jinned the old top but that might have looked a bit predictable. I wouldn't go mad with the shari idea either for the same reason. The tree has really good bark and too much shari could detract from that and end up looking artificial.

So far it's looking really good in my view so do keep us updated.

Regards

Richard

Richard S

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Urban on Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:05 pm

Thanks for the feedback Richard. Yes, I think that the top as a jin on this tree would look funny. I do think though, that trees which have a jin up top can look awesome, but this one would have looked strange.

Have a good one!

Thomas Urban

Back to top Go down

Post  BrendanR on Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:25 am

Just back from my second boarding trip of the year - season now fully over...

I like your larch, but I think you need to pull the apex over to the right, and try and get it centred above the middle of the base. You can also give it more height.

To me it is just awkward where it is now. If it was obviously leaning in one direction that would make sense. But what you have is a long straight trunk that suddenly heads off to the left. That can't really align with the way the narrative would happen in nature? Surely it would head back into the vertical if it suffered a die back at some stage? In that case there can be a great deviation to the left - but it needs to come back around to the right at a higher point.

If it was showing a lot of movement along its length but reverts to the shape it would achieve in nature - ie top and bottom in a line - that would make sense.

So I would get the top growing taller - on this trunk that's easy to do - and bring it over and across.

OR

I would change the angle of the tree in the pot. If you lean it over to the right so that the current apex is over the centre line of the trunk you will bring it into balance.

BrendanR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 4:33 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum