Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

my first phoenix graft assembly (shimpaku)

+5
Khaimraj Seepersad
Richard S
Vance Wood
DougB
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
9 posters

Go down

my first phoenix graft assembly (shimpaku) - Page 2 Empty Cool Graft-Raft

Post  KyleT Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:04 am

Thanks for sharing this progress report. Very cool. I like your (possible) plan to jin the upper branch and treat the grafted branch like a raft. The upper branch is too straight to do much with otherwise. If the driftwood will take it, you could also work on it with some beefy jin pliers and sculpt it, down the line, when you see better where things are headed. How can you encourage the grafted branch to raft it up? I'm not sure if general raft-making techniques apply here...
KyleT
KyleT

Back to top Go down

my first phoenix graft assembly (shimpaku) - Page 2 Empty Re: my first phoenix graft assembly (shimpaku)

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:56 pm

hey kyle - the raft was something of an after thought when looking at it, as it appeared almost like a cliff or large fallen tree jutting out over an abyss (abyss may be a bit dramatic, but abyss conveys the gist)

that would just entail encouraging each branch to develop into its own tree down the length of what is now the lower branch...
i'm thinking that if i jin the upper branch (after appropriate manipulation) it would lend to the illusion of the fallen tree...

but again, that is for the future if it back buds down the line back toward the trunk
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

my first phoenix graft assembly (shimpaku) - Page 2 Empty Re: my first phoenix graft assembly (shimpaku)

Post  Andre Beaurain Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:09 am

Sawubona Kevin and Friends! sunny

Im still on summer holiday, but somebody phoned me, and told me that my mail was full, so I had to put this dreaded communication device on. hi hihi hi

Must say coming into my office was like a vampire exposed to sudden sunlight.

Kevin did you take the bark off at the bottom of the trunk where it is attached to the driftwood?

Love Light and Awakening
Andre
Andre Beaurain
Andre Beaurain

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:58 pm

no, i didnt... i was wondering about that, but in my research none of the articles i read suggested that (or even mentioned it one way or the other)

now step away from the computer and get back to your holiday !
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down