Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Air Layer JWP

3 posters

Go down

Air Layer JWP Empty Air Layer JWP

Post  juniper07 Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:05 pm

Hello IBC,

I need some input from experienced White Pine folks. What is the best air layering method for a grafted white pine (on a black pine rootstock); a full ring layer, a ring layer with partial bridge, or a tourniquet? I got this pine for a reasonable price (probably because it has a nasty reverse taper), and I need to layer above the reverse taper. This tree seems very healthy with plenty of foliage.

The branch placement and the trunk movement is great, and if it survives the layer then this will be an awesome tree.

Thanks.
juniper07
juniper07

Back to top Go down

Air Layer JWP Empty Re: Air Layer JWP

Post  augustine Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:20 pm

Very small chance of the layer being successful unless the cultivar is 'Zuisho.' However if you'd like to try the regular layering technique can be used and it may need to stay on for several years.

Maybe someone knows some specific tips?

Best regards,

augustine

Back to top Go down

Post  juniper07 Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:31 pm

Hi Augustine,

It's a regular Japanese White Pine on a Black Pine rootstock. I understand that it is less vigorous and that a complete ring method may prove fatal for the tree; so I am leaning more towards leaving two thin bridges of bark to supply nutrients to the foliage. Theoretically, this should increase the survival rate (at the same time grow roots around the remaining ringed section).

I am aware that this is atleast a two year process. I am still hoping to hear from someone who has successfully air layered JWP. I think the key will be in the aftercare... if I can provide adequate light and proper moisture to the tree (and perform no to little pruning), then there is a chance.

Thanks.
juniper07
juniper07

Back to top Go down

Post  arihato Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:37 pm

Sorry I have never air layered a JWP.
I do have a project that is a bit similar.
A cascade JWP had a break in the major trunk while I was working it, I stopped work and have been thinking of how to approach/remedy this. I could simply cut off the broken trunk and style the tree from the lower branch........ or I could air layer, with maybe a good result. Even now that the break in the trunk is healed it will remain a weak spot and hamper any bending of the trunk.
After being gifted some JBP seedling this summer, I thought that I might thread graft some of them above the break and create new roots that way. It seems to me to be a safer way to get roots, with the added bonus of the tops of the grafts helping to establish some Nebari in the future. I have done thread grafting on Acer and Larch with success, and I'm hoping that it will succeed as well.
So in february the deed will be done, wish me luck.
arihato
arihato

Back to top Go down

Post  juniper07 Thu Dec 25, 2014 3:42 pm

Grafting JBP roots on White Pine is an excellent idea. Definitely a safer idea, although it may take longer. Thanks for your input... this is the kind of idea I was hoping to look for on IBC.

Thanks.
juniper07
juniper07

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down