species identify juniper bonsai at Lowes

View previous topic View next topic Go down

species identify juniper bonsai at Lowes

Post  Dan D on Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:51 am

Can someone help identify which juniper this is?
It's being sold at Lowes for $10, and the website suggests
USDA zones 7 - 11:
http://www.costafarms.com/Public/CollectionDetails.aspx?Id=73&cat=Bonsai&col=Bonsai&var=Juniper
or zones 3-10:
http://www.costafarms.com/public/plantlibraryview.aspx?Id=211&Letter=J

My guess is one of the following:
Juniperus sargentii (Chinese Juniper)
Juniperus media (Blaauws Juniper)
Juniperus sabina (Sabina)

Dan D

Back to top Go down

Re: species identify juniper bonsai at Lowes

Post  JimLewis on Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:13 pm

Most likely it is J. procumbens 'nana'.

And, there are better ways to get started in bonsai. Many, many of these die soon after being brought home.

Jim Lewis - lewisjk@windstream.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Dan D on Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:09 pm

yes, I am new to bonsai, and yes, I should probably hold out until spring and keep studying...

lack of patience is probably not a good thing with this craft, I'll work on that!

Now feeling embarrassed about this after seeing the work you all have posted...just amazing works out there.

I look forward to learning a lot more, including patience.

Dan D

Back to top Go down

Best Idea

Post  DougB on Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:37 pm

Your best bet is to join a local club. there you will have opportunities to learn, purchase items and enjoy the company of others who also have fallen in love with this art. Here are some contacts, if a link does not work, try another as they will probably be able to guide you. (Lived in Aurora many years ago and traveled throughout -- still miss it.) enjoy

COLORADO - Colorado Springs Pikes Peak Bonsai Society.
E-mail: rjb (at) phoenixbonsai.com.

COLORADO - Denver website www.rockymtnbonsai.org

COLORADO - Fort Collins All meetings, workshops and shows are at Fort Collins Nursery, 2121 E. Mulberry in Fort Collins. Contact: Barbara Rich, 970-663-3046.

COLORADO - Grand Jct e-mail: trehaus@excite.com Japanese garden at the WCCA in Grand Jct.

DougB

Back to top Go down

Post  Precarious on Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:13 pm

I swore never to buy a Juniperus Kick-the-bucket-us from a Home Depot or Lowe's, but then I saw one with a trunk line I found to be full of potential. I brought it home in the fall, nursed it through a winter in its potting soil, then repotted it into a good medium and got it through another year. It looks healthy and I'm very excited about how it might develop in the coming years.

Moral of the story is, buyer beware but don't count anything out. Besides, a tree for $10-20 that you can practice horticulture on and experiment bonsai art with- there's something to be said for that. Better that than losing a $75 or $100 plant from a bonsai grower through drowning it or overzealous pruning(voice of experience Embarassed ).

Precarious

Back to top Go down

Post  M. Frary on Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:44 am

First off. Welcome.
Second. Your tree is a juniper procumbens nana or green mound juniper if you prefer.

M. Frary

Back to top Go down

Post  kite-eating bonsai tree on Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:54 pm

... for the equivalent cost of that "assembly-line, pre-made" bonsai, one can take a short walk out to the adjacent nursery department at any lowe's and pick up two (maybe even three!) 1-gal size procumbens junipers.  imho, j. procumbens nana 1-gal stock makes great low-cost starting material for practicing the fundamentals of bonsai.

respectfully,
rick

kite-eating bonsai tree

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 1:03 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum