chlorinated water

View previous topic View next topic Go down

chlorinated water

Post  dave on Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:57 pm

I have just recently moved from being on well water to intown with chlorinated water.I have been told that filling a bucket of water and letting it sit over night helps dissapate the chlorine.Any help or ideas would be appreciated.I am concerned about the summer months when we can go two months without rain.Other than that i will collect rainwater from eaves.

Last edited by dave on Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:43 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : clarify)

dave

Back to top Go down

Re: chlorinated water

Post  Precarious on Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:03 pm

Putting water in containers overnight does at least two things- lets the chlorine dissipate and lets the water warm up to room temperature. Here in zone 4 our city water comes into the house numbingly cold, which can't help tropicals I'm sure.

Precarious

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis on Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:53 pm

Of course it has to be in an OPEN container for the chlorine to dissipate.

Moving to Bonsai Questions.

Jim Lewis - lewisjk@windstream.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  kevin stoeveken on Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:19 pm

Precarious wrote:Putting water in containers overnight does at least two things- lets the chlorine dissipate and lets the water warm up to room temperature.  Here in zone 4 our city water comes into the house numbingly cold, which can't help tropicals I'm sure.

well at least you now have running water in omaha...
won't be long now until you get hot running water too !

AAC Original Milwaukee Wi. Chapter - North America

aka beer city snake
link to ARBOR ARTS COLLECTIVE BLOG

kevin stoeveken

Back to top Go down

Post  Precarious on Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:38 am

Hot running water?!  With a perfectly good stove and plenty of firewood already at hand?! Next you'll suggest electricity so I can stay up past sundown.

Last edited by Precarious on Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:40 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add)

Precarious

Back to top Go down

Post  Sorcertree on Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:28 am

I try to refill my containers after watering, and leave them to sit till the next watering.
If it's so bad you can smell it, you could use the chems sold for fish tanks, but then you have to use trace minerals in your fertilizer.
I don't always let mine stand, but I can't smell it either.

Sorce

Sorcertree

Back to top Go down

Post  kevin stoeveken on Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:46 pm

Precarious wrote:Next you'll suggest electricity so I  can stay up past sundown.

momma always said "aint nothin' good gonna happen after the sun goes down..."

she lied Twisted Evil

AAC Original Milwaukee Wi. Chapter - North America

aka beer city snake
link to ARBOR ARTS COLLECTIVE BLOG

kevin stoeveken

Back to top Go down

Post  Leo Schordje on Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:37 pm

dave wrote:I have just recently moved from being on well water to intown with chlorinated water.I have been told that filling a bucket of water and letting it sit over night helps dissapate the chlorine.Any help or ideas would be appreciated.I am concerned about the summer months when we can go two months without rain.Other than that i will collect rainwater from eaves.

Yes, leaving the water stand a day the chlorine gasses off. But, do you need to go through the trouble? For the vast majority of trees used for bonsai, there is no need to go through the trouble. If the water is safe enough that you can drink it from the tap, it is good enough to use on the bonsai. I've grown bonsai and orchids on well water, municipal water, and with collected rain water. For the majority of plants, could not see any difference. There are exceptions - azalea and other acid loving plants tend to not do as well with high alkalinity well water. Other than the exception, most trees the water source seems to have little effect. Since you are moving away from well water, depending on your municipal water's source, you might even get better performance from azaleas. If you are simply switching from a private well to a municipal well, you won't see any difference.

I plumbed both a hot water and cold water feed so that in winter I can adjust my water temperature to room or slightly above room temperature. (never just hot, tepid is the warmest I use). With tropicals (observed most dramatically in certain orchids) you can get leaf spotting, tissue collapse, from water that is more than 20 F or 10 C colder than room temperature. Trees usually are less sensitive than orchids, but it is possible to damage leaves and likely roots by watering with very cold water compared to the temperature of the plant. So I do recommend being conscious of water temperature. Chlorine is generally a non-issue.

Hope that helps
Leo

Leo Schordje

Back to top Go down

Post  dave on Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:32 pm

Thank you all for your replies.I will let my buckets of water sit for awhile to let the chlorine dissapate but it is nice to know that in a pinch i can water with the chlorine in the water.Thanks again for all your replies.

dave

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis on Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:21 pm

No "pinch" necessary.  Your trees will never notice it. Why make extra work?

Jim Lewis - lewisjk@windstream.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  dave on Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:59 pm

JimLewis wrote:No "pinch" necessary.  Your trees will never notice it.  Why make extra work?

Okay thanks Jim.

dave

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 12:41 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum