Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ilex Crenata - temperature Requirements

3 posters

Go down

Ilex Crenata - temperature Requirements Empty Ilex Crenata - temperature Requirements

Post  ess1 Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:40 am

Have an ilex crenata purchased in September which has always been indoors.
Lowest indoor temp: 16.5C.

I believe that tree would be happier if kept outside. But as winter approaches (11.0C now) is it advisable?
Have unheated conservatory where temp. has been known to fall to 0C.

Advice appreciated please.

ess1

Back to top Go down

Ilex Crenata - temperature Requirements Empty Re: Ilex Crenata - temperature Requirements

Post  fiona Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:13 pm

I have always found Ilex crenata to be a troublesome tree up here in west central Scotland as it doesn't seem to like our climate at all. We do not have extremely bad winters (last year seldom got below freezing all winter) but the crenatas still don't cope. Having said that, my experience of them is limited to ones other folk have asked me to try and rescue (unsuccessfully) and I think they have suffered precisely because they are kept indoors. I too would be interested to hear from other Brits who have managed to keep theirs successfully outdoors, just in case I am asked to Lazarus another one ever. Frankly I wouldn't waste my time on them personally when we have so many good and hardy trees of our own in the UK, but that is just my opinion.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Ilex Crenata - temperature Requirements Empty Re: Ilex Crenata - temperature Requirements

Post  ess1 Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:36 am

Many thanks for prompt reply. I shall struggle on in hope.

ess1

Back to top Go down

Ilex Crenata - temperature Requirements Empty Ilex cenata

Post  geoffm5eay Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:11 pm

This is interesting. I bought one in the summer and it has and will be outside all winter, but I might move it under open cover. We have had some frosts and it is ok so far. I will let you know how it is next spring.
Geoff.

geoffm5eay

Back to top Go down

Post  ess1 Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:08 am

Thanks for information. I look forward to updates. Hope all goes well.

Am afraid that my tree is losing leaves after going dark green almost black. Certain parts of tree are fine with healthy leaf growth. Probably over watered. Hope springs eternal Smile

ess1

Back to top Go down

Ilex Crenata - temperature Requirements Empty Ilex crenata

Post  geoffm5eay Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:20 am

Mine is a nice green colour, sat under a window so sheltered a bit, but we have had at least two sharp frosts to -4C in the last couple of weeks. I have not had to water for some tme now. I am going to move it under the cover I think. I also have the deciduous species of Japanese Holly I thought it was I crenata but it can't be,
Geoff.

geoffm5eay

Back to top Go down

Post  ess1 Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:50 am

Looking good for you Very Happy

ess1

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down