Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Yet another "urban" yamadori

4 posters

Go down

Yet another "urban" yamadori Empty Yet another "urban" yamadori

Post  icapture Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:53 pm

Here is another tree that I will be collecting. I have already collected one tree from this site:

https://ibonsaiclub.forumotion.com/t16162-newly-aquired-urban-yamadori

The soil is actually primarily large 1" gravel which makes removal and root cleaning very easy (they're not all like that!)

I left this guy in the ground to backbud a bit before removal to better insure survival. The base/nebari on this tree is massive. Its hard to tell in the pictures because of the growth / ground cover, but let me assure you it's gorgeous.

Another great feature of this tree (not sure the species yet) is that it bears berries.

And now for the pictures:

Yet another "urban" yamadori 15641915579_e58064a362_cIMG_9441 by shrthndmobile, on Flickr

Yet another "urban" yamadori 15208302143_f7d49f320c_cIMG_9439 by shrthndmobile, on Flickr

Yet another "urban" yamadori 15641916939_559515b3b8_cIMG_9440 by shrthndmobile, on Flickr

icapture

Back to top Go down

Yet another "urban" yamadori Empty Re: Yet another "urban" yamadori

Post  Barry M Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:51 pm

I must admit that I have some concern about removing this very established plant. Is it really appropriate to take a chance with its apparently healthy situation putting it into a pot? It has a rather large horizontal root mass and would it even do well in a pot? Just my opinion. Please don't take offence.

Barry M

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:09 am

I'd find out its species first.

Could we you also to show in your location WHERE in the USA you are. There are so many different growing zones there, it is impossible for people to offer any significant advice or assistance without at least an indication of state.  Thanks.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  JMcCoy Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:39 am

This and the other one that you collected look like they are Red Tip Photinia (Photinia x fraseri).  They're a common plant used for hedging, but actually are small trees.  You've got a nice wide and flared root base on this one!  There are a few reason you rarely find this plant as a bonsai.  First of all they have large leaves which really don't reduce, so you will need a large trunk to make a large tree (which you have here!).  Most wound cuts will not callous over, so plan on disguising or enhancing pruned branches instead of assuming it will heal over.  They are susceptible to Fire Blight and other diseases which are difficult to control.

All that said, they bloom clusters of tiny white flowers in the Spring, and have berry fruit in the fall, and the bright red color of the new leaves give it a wonderful color.  

If you collect them successfully and they survive, don't plan on doing any styling for at least the first year.  They will need to recover from that trauma first and be a healthy ball of leaves before moving to the next phase of reduction and bending. But- I would remove all the sucker growth around the base of the plant to channel the energy back up into the trunk in the useable branch areas.
JMcCoy
JMcCoy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down