Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Juniperus Pfitzeriana Aurea Material Suitability

+11
M. Frary
GaryWood
fiona
Richard S
DjTommy
Precarious
JimLewis
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Sorcertree
Vance Wood
joewebb
15 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Juniperus Pfitzeriana Aurea Material Suitability - Page 3 Empty Re: Juniperus Pfitzeriana Aurea Material Suitability

Post  M. Frary Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:15 pm

I have a blurry picture of that tree Vance. It wouldn't hold still long enough to get a good one.
He had it on a motorized turntable for display. Very cool.

M. Frary

Back to top Go down

Juniperus Pfitzeriana Aurea Material Suitability - Page 3 Empty Re: Juniperus Pfitzeriana Aurea Material Suitability

Post  Vance Wood Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:17 pm

M. Frary wrote: Did anyone figure out how to post pictures here from a phone. I have a couple nursery stock trees that are only 2 years out of the bucket for more examples. All junipers too. They are the closest thing to instant bonsai there is. No waiting. Just whacking and wiring. Personally I feel like I haven't the time to wait for a small tree to grow into a big one just so I can cut it down to size. I just go right for the big ones. Like Vance is saying you can practice on a larger piece of material just as easy as a small one. The only difference is after that practice you may just have something to be proud of. Not something you have to wait around for to develop.
Joe: You actually started a good thread. Also, if it were me I would put the juniper in a larger bucket and grow it. Put some wire on the trunk for movement and grow it. It's a ways out but it still has bonsai potential. And don't let us drive you away. We're just trying to help and give advice on what we have learned over the years.

Thanks Mike I was afraid that the Sticks in Pots are Ok with Me crowd was going to drive this thread off the chart. I really don't mean to start anything it just seems I have a way with people. I rub them the wrong way when I cling to what I believe to be right, and try to explain why I believe I am right. In my way of looking at things I find it really difficult to believe that someone would be happy with the stick in a pot when there is an alternitive. Look at Joes picture: It's not like he does not have an artistic desire in his heart. He is not one of these people floating around without a clue.
Vance Wood
Vance Wood

Back to top Go down

Post  Vance Wood Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:21 pm

M. Frary wrote: I have a blurry picture of that tree Vance. It wouldn't hold still long enough to get a good one.
He had it on a motorized turntable for display. Very cool.

I thought it was interesting but the judge didn't like the turntable.  I put it in that kind of display because I wanted to demonstrate that a tree should look acceptable 360* around.  Too often bonsai can turn out to be 2 dimensional.  I do have a video of the tree in the round but not on my turntable.  Maybe I'll do that this next year. However here is the tree from Youtube.

Last edited by Vance Wood on Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Vance Wood
Vance Wood

Back to top Go down

Post  juniper07 Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:54 pm

My 2 cents on the tree:

Around 6 years ago I planted a nursery Pfitzeriana juniper in my front yard as an intent to keep it as a yard bush (so my wife thinks....), and over the years the trunk has grown to a decent caliper. In other words, this species although slower than shimpaku, may prove promising if you grow it 'freely' in the ground (don't prune the foliage when growing freely).

Another piece of experimentation that I have tried with a Kishu and worked out nicely is that if you wire the trunk and put twists in it (use thicker than usual wire), and let the thick wire cut in considerably, then you can start creating the twisty washboard shari that you see on Japanese shohin Itoigawa junipers. This is a longer process, but must be started early on in development.

Disclaimer: Applying too much twists is a risky procedure and may kill the tree.

Last edited by juniper07 on Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
juniper07
juniper07

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:55 pm

and just to show the flip side of the coin and that SOME species CAN be grown relatively quickly:

https://ibonsaiclub.forumotion.com/t16171-portulacaria-afra-spekboom-2-1-2-year-progression?highlight=SPEKBOOM

like i have said before, if you only have 1 or 2 trees, you will be doing a whole lot of nothing most of the time. Suspect
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard S Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:52 pm

Vance

Thanks for sharing you tree images. Very nice and an inspiring example of what can be achieved using good technique, a healthy does of artistic ability and relatively modest raw material.

I especially like your "signature tree". It's in a particularly attractive pot as well.

Regards

Richard
Richard S
Richard S

Back to top Go down

Post  Vance Wood Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:40 pm

Richard S wrote:Vance

Thanks for sharing you tree images. Very nice and an inspiring example of what can be achieved using good technique, a healthy does of artistic ability and relatively modest raw material.

I especially like your "signature tree". It's in a particularly attractive pot as well.

Regards

Richard

I should have mentioned that I appreciated your support Richard.  Sometimes I can get so focused on what I am doing that I miss some of the really important things like acknowledging peoples approval.  Thank You Richard.

The pot is what we loving call a Sara Pot.  Made by Sara Raynor a very fine domestic potter that I believe makes some of the nicest pots in the country.  They hold up like steel as well.  Thank You very much for you kind remarks about my trees.  I highly recomend them. Here is the video link I first shot of this tree this spring,  Sara Pot and all.

Last edited by Vance Wood on Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:53 pm; edited 4 times in total
Vance Wood
Vance Wood

Back to top Go down

Post  M. Frary Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:34 pm

Vance Wood wrote:
M. Frary wrote: Did anyone figure out how to post pictures here from a phone. I have a couple nursery stock trees that are only 2 years out of the bucket for more examples. All junipers too. They are the closest thing to instant bonsai there is. No waiting. Just whacking and wiring. Personally I feel like I haven't the time to wait for a small tree to grow into a big one just so I can cut it down to size. I just go right for the big ones. Like Vance is saying you can practice on a larger piece of material just as easy as a small one. The only difference is after that practice you may just have something to be proud of. Not something you have to wait around for to develop.
Joe: You actually started a good thread. Also, if it were me I would put the juniper in a larger bucket and grow it. Put some wire on the trunk for movement and grow it. It's a ways out but it still has bonsai potential. And don't let us drive you away. We're just trying to help and give advice on what we have learned over the years.

Thanks Mike I was afraid that the Sticks in Pots are Ok with Me crowd was going to drive this thread off the chart.  I really don't mean to start anything it just seems I have a way with people.  I rub them the wrong way when I cling to what I believe to be right, and try to explain why I believe I am right.  In my way of looking at things I find it really difficult to believe that someone would be happy with the stick in a pot when there is an alternitive.  Look at Joes picture:  It's not like he does not have an artistic desire in his heart.  He is not one of these people floating around without a clue.

They just don't realize that you have the best intentions. Me. I know where you are coming from everytime. Good sound advice when asked for in the most blunt manner works great for lots of people. I like it and like to give it. But to some people it comes off as being only criticism or my way or the highway sort of thing.
And yes. He put good forethought in his drawing and if he had a teacher or club to join he could probably go places in this hobby.
One last thing people. It should go without saying but looks like it needs to be.
IF VANCE WOOD POSTS AN OPINION OR ADVICE ON A TREE IT WOULD PAY TO LISTEN! Contrary to what others may say the man has paid his dues and has the trees to show what he is talking about.Look up American bonsai on Google or just Google Vance Wood bonsai. You'll see what I mean.
Thank you for letting me say my piece.Open to questions or criticism.

M. Frary

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:54 pm

I may rename this thread:  The Vance Wood Admiration Society Thread.

Yes?

No?

Who gives a . . . ?

Happy New Year, everybody!
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  M. Frary Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:15 pm

Happy New Year Jim. You my friend are another one people would do well to listen to.
Your work with those little little trees is an amazing thing.

M. Frary

Back to top Go down

Post  Vance Wood Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:52 pm

JimLewis wrote:I may rename this thread:  The Vance Wood Admiration Society Thread.

Yes?

No?

Who gives a . . . ?

Happy New Year, everybody!  

Are you serious Jim? I am kind of between No and a hail and hearty Who gives a . ..?
Vance Wood
Vance Wood

Back to top Go down

Post  joewebb Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:15 am

Hi everyone, only returned form holiday without any internet access to check up on the post, what a surprise to find all the reply's.

I have printed the complete thread as there is simply to much to read & consider at once & will read through it the coming weekend to respond to the reply's posted.

Thank everyone in advance as I'm sure that all comments & suggestions can & will be used to further my knowledge.
joewebb
joewebb

Back to top Go down

Post  Sorcertree Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:21 pm

Look guys!

Its Joe!

Welcome back feller!

Sorce

Sorcertree

Back to top Go down

Post  leatherback Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:36 pm

Happy to see you got motivated, rather than discoraged, by the long list of replies. There is a lot of info in this thread now. not all limited to your tree. So read and reread before giving up on it!
leatherback
leatherback

Back to top Go down

Post  joewebb Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:31 am

Hey guys, after reading the comments posted I decided to fore-go all the pipe dreams for the juni for the time being, I will stick in the ground & forget about it for a couple of years until the time comes when it has matured a lot more, reading all the comments & watching a couple of videos online, reading up & looking at pictures of good quality bonsai it is pretty obvious that the tree in question has got a lot of growing & maturing to go through before to be even considered as as bonsai.

I originally purchased the juni as a subject to practice some cutting, wiring, potting & overall maintenance but after stumbling onto a pic of what it might be I decided it can be more than a torture subject.

Thanx all for the words of encouragement, advise & sometimes much needed criticism.
joewebb
joewebb

Back to top Go down

Post  Precarious Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:57 am

Good choice. The time will go fast, as you'll be hunting other material no doubt! Very Happy
Precarious
Precarious

Back to top Go down

Post  Vance Wood Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:14 pm

Go out and buy a couple more Junipers but get larger ones at least two-gallon in size. This will give you something to work with where by you can learn a lot more about pruning, wiring and trimming. When your done you might even have a bonsai.
Vance Wood
Vance Wood

Back to top Go down

Post  juniper07 Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:57 pm

Or find a construction site with shrubs where they will be discarded. I found one not too far from home with some yews, mugos, junipers, and spruce. They are all easily collectible, but not worth collecting... other than the juniper that has a washboard trunk (with deadwood) and great movement.

Ofcourse, you need to let the construction folks know that you are collecting, and want them to leave the shrub alone till spring (for you to collect).

Thanks.
juniper07
juniper07

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next