Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Growing in solid marble containers...

4 posters

Go down

Growing in solid marble containers... Empty Growing in solid marble containers...

Post  Todd Ellis Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:54 pm

Hello,
I have an opportunity to purchase a hand-carved white marble container (Chinese, approx 20 years old), approx 26 inches long x 13 inches wide x 12 inches deep. I have never grown trees in marble and wonder if there are special considerations. Does anyone have any experience with this? Or, do you know who I can ask? I will try Facebook to see if I can ask Jack at the National Arboretum.
Thank you for any help.
Todd
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Growing in solid marble containers... Empty Re: Growing in solid marble containers...

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:57 pm

page 19 of the north carolina arboretum thread under top threads has a lengthy repotting story using a marble slab...
not sure if that will help you, but it does show that marble works...
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Growing in solid marble containers... Empty Re: Growing in solid marble containers...

Post  Todd Ellis Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:18 pm

Thank you for the info Very Happy
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  arihato Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:24 pm

Marble is a metamorphic rock and can be dissolved with acid. I think that means that it is a limestone. So no Azalea and ericaceous plants or you would have to seal the inside of the container.
arihato
arihato

Back to top Go down

Post  Andre Beaurain Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:19 am

I think marble cant handle frost either... but who cares use it as a doban....who can say not to marble!
Andre Beaurain
Andre Beaurain

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:09 am

thanks eveyone Very Happy
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down