Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need some help - first Bonsai - Jade tree green leaves falling off

+3
Tom
JimLewis
llew-bonsai
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Need some help - first Bonsai - Jade tree green leaves falling off - Page 2 Empty Re: Need some help - first Bonsai - Jade tree green leaves falling off

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:49 am

fiona wrote:
Andre Beaurain wrote: We need a Emoticon of something with wings something angelic, an emoticon with a halo. hi hi

Beaurangel

There ya go.

can we just name that one andrengel ??? cheers

(pronounced on-drain-jell)
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Need some help - first Bonsai - Jade tree green leaves falling off - Page 2 Empty Re: Need some help - first Bonsai - Jade tree green leaves falling off

Post  Andre Beaurain Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:58 am

Precarious wrote:Very helpful information, Andre.  That would apply to pachypodium as well then, yes?

David
NO NO NO.... Pachypodiums doesnt work like that. Ive tried.

Even though they also get NO water in winter, they must stay in the soil.

They loose moisture and become soft, not form rotting but form loosing "pressure" and then when they reach a certain "softness" they dont want to hydrate anymore. The only one that can last without soil for about three months is Pachypodium saundersii, (the Kudu lilly) The only Pachypodiums that can handle water all year is the two ever greens: Pachypodium fiherensis and Pachypodium baronii (red flowers).

Some neeedless information...

Love Light and Awakening
Andre

Andre Beaurain
Andre Beaurain

Back to top Go down

Post  Andre Beaurain Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:08 am

Kevin

Yes Walter is right if the tree is healthy and in a good draining soil mix it can get water the whole year. They do like a well composted soil though. Then they grow the whole year. They are actually super easy trees!
I cant find the post of Walter that you talk about, can you post a link?

Yours is looking very healthy and shiny, do you polish the leaves, I would like to know what yours taste like, very sweet or very sour?

Love Light and Awakening
Andre
Andre Beaurain
Andre Beaurain

Back to top Go down

Post  Andre Beaurain Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:12 am

fiona wrote:
Andre Beaurain wrote: We need a Emoticon of something with wings something angelic, an emoticon with a halo. hi hi

Beaurangel

There ya go.

Wow that was quick.  Are you the Creator of the minions... Mother Minion  or MM for short.  hih hihh hii

It looks great Fiona.

Beaurangel Beaurangel Beaurangel   I can fly...
Andre Beaurain
Andre Beaurain

Back to top Go down

Post  Precarious Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:20 am

Ok thanks Andre, not useless at all. I have a p. lealii that I suspect is saundersii, but not totally sure. It has not flowered in the several years I've had it. In the winter I don't water until it starts to get a little soft. It slowly loses leaves until all fallen by late December/early January. There is a picture of it in a post here in the Questions forum, 'Pachypodium Questions'. It is probably about 7 years old and 15" tall.
Precarious
Precarious

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:42 am

beer city snake wrote:
fiona wrote:

Beaurangel

There ya go.

can we just name that one andrengel ??? (pronounced on-drain-jell)

Or how about a Beaurangel?

Guys, next time you go to use it, hover your cursor over the smilie and see what text comes up. Beaurangel
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:13 pm

Andre Beaurain wrote:Kevin

Yes Walter is right if the tree is healthy and in a good draining soil mix it can get water the whole year. They do like a well composted soil though.  Then they grow the whole year.  They are actually super easy trees!
I cant find the post of Walter that you talk about, can you post a link?

Yours is looking very healthy and shiny, do you polish the leaves,  I would like to know what yours taste like, very sweet or very sour?

Love Light and Awakening
Andre

i have not tasted mine... yet... i recall you mentioning they are edible once though...
if you are serious, i will try it... any special prep needed, or just pluck and munch ?

and no, i dont polish the leaves, but all my trees get sprayed with a hose occasionally when they are outside
mainly to knock off critters, but also dust, etc

and like you said, they are easy trees, which is why i am super grateful for my co-worker
getting me started in bonsai with those 2 little cuttings just under 3 years ago...
something harder may have been daunting and discouraging,
but with these, one can see results of growing and manipulation techniques very quickly (in the bonsai time zone)

and because of that, i can "play" with these while l try to learn about my difficult and daunting trees Wink
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Andre Beaurain Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:16 pm

drain jell.....Razz :

and my own Beaurangel !   Pronounced of course :[ brain jel ]  Beaurangel

hi hihihihihi hih hi hihi hi hih i hihhiii

So sweet guys , I feel slightly teary..........                            

Ok not really. hi i

hi
Andre Beaurain
Andre Beaurain

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:48 pm

Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Need some help - first Bonsai - Jade tree green leaves falling off - Page 2 Empty Roots at base of crassula leaves

Post  Precarious Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:28 pm

Tom wrote:Don't water it again for a *long* time. Don't even think about water for a couple of weeks. As it stands, you've probably got rotten roots. Just let it dry out and leave it for a while.
Wait until the leaves start to look a bit shrivelled (the healthy ones, not the dying ones it's currently shedding). Then you can water. The sign that you've left it too long to water is that you'll see tiny white roots developing at the leaf bases - the plant will still come back fine from that.

Tom, I don't know what you meant in this thread I've revived. What does "too long to water" mean? I ask because I notice a lot of those small white roots growing at the base of leaves on my crassula. Do these form when too long IN water or too long WITHOUT water?

I have seen a variety of answers on 'leaf roots' when searching the web, everything from too much to too little water, to it being a normal condition for quick rooting if branch breaks off. Don't know if Tom will respond, but many responses would be welcome anyway, so what do you folks say?
Precarious
Precarious

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:10 pm

Left it "too long to water" means you should have watered sooner. You have left it too long before watering.

When you see the little white roots, it means you should have watered by now. It means the plant is dry, not wet.

However, the 'leaf roots' are 'normal' - they're triggered by dryness, and if the plant stays too dry the leaves will drop off and root. It's not a problem - just give the plant some water and it will continue growing quite happily. The little white roots will stay there, unless you decide you don't like the look of them and break them off.

The main sign of overwatering is the plant dying due to the roots turning to rotten mush.
Tom
Tom

Back to top Go down

Post  Precarious Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:14 am

Well hallelujah! I have to fight to avoid over-watering, so I guess I am improving somewhat cheers Thanks for the response, Tom!
Precarious
Precarious

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:15 pm

Tom wrote:However, the 'leaf roots' are 'normal' - they're triggered by dryness, and if the plant stays too dry the leaves will drop off and root.

botanically brilliant !

as dr. ian malcom says:

Need some help - first Bonsai - Jade tree green leaves falling off - Page 2 C0de3710
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Precarious Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:29 pm

Maybe even horticulturally highfalutin'!
Precarious
Precarious

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:19 pm

good one david !
too bad that trait is spekboomularly species specific
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next