Couple Id's and EWP question

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Couple Id's and EWP question

Post  giga on Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:53 pm

I've had these since spring but never got a positive ID on either of them. Both were collected in upstate Virginia in warm springs at 3000ft.My guess is pitch pine but not 100%. Also sorry for the blurry pics

Pine that back buds everywhere

Bark


needles


candles


I think this is a yellow birch but again not 100% if you make a cut it smells strongly of wintergreen

base


leaves



I also pick up a decent Pinus strobus(eastern white pine) and while not the best for bonsai, its for my own enjoyment. It has a 4" trunk and was only 10$ so its worth playing with. I was thinking about cutting some candles and removing branch this November. This should ok correct as I'm generally following JWP for the guide to these. guys?

giga
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Couple Id's and EWP question

Post  tmmason10 on Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:38 pm

Certainly looks like a pith pine to me. What a nice trunk! Can you share a better picture of the whole tree?

tmmason10
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Couple Id's and EWP question

Post  0soyoung on Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:48 pm

giga wrote:I also pick up a decent Pinus strobus(eastern white pine) and while not the best for bonsai, its for my own enjoyment. It has a 4" trunk and was only 10$ so its worth playing with. I was thinking about cutting some candles and removing branch this November. This should ok correct as I'm generally following JWP for the guide to these.

EWP is very different from JWP.

EWP responds far better if you do this in early spring (i.e., after spring bud swelling but no later than June).

EWP will double flush and can be candle pruned just like Japanese black pine to get reduced needle length. However, this is a risky tactic because needles are short lived - needles that are browning and dropping now, were new needles in 2013! JWP hold needles for an additional season.

0soyoung
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Couple Id's and EWP question

Post  giga on Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:57 pm

tmmason10 wrote:Certainly looks like a pith pine to me. What a nice trunk! Can you share a better picture of the whole tree?

I'll take a decent pic tonight


giga
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Couple Id's and EWP question

Post  giga on Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:01 pm

0soyoung wrote:
giga wrote:I also pick up a decent Pinus strobus(eastern white pine) and while not the best for bonsai, its for my own enjoyment. It has a 4" trunk and was only 10$ so its worth playing with. I was thinking about cutting some candles and removing branch this November. This should ok correct as I'm generally following JWP for the guide to these.

EWP is very different from JWP.

EWP responds far better if you do this in early spring (i.e., after spring bud swelling but no later than June).

EWP will double flush and can be candle pruned just like Japanese black pine to get reduced needle length. However, this is a risky tactic because needles are short lived - needles that are browning and dropping now, were new needles in 2013! JWP hold needles for an additional season.


thats very different from what i've read-what about branch removal? There's a few that Need to be remove due to a knuckle forming.


giga
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Couple Id's and EWP question

Post  0soyoung on Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:43 pm

giga wrote:
0soyoung wrote:
giga wrote:I also pick up a decent Pinus strobus(eastern white pine) and while not the best for bonsai, its for my own enjoyment. It has a 4" trunk and was only 10$ so its worth playing with. I was thinking about cutting some candles and removing branch this November. This should ok correct as I'm generally following JWP for the guide to these.

EWP is very different from JWP.

EWP responds far better if you do this in early spring (i.e., after spring bud swelling but no later than June).

EWP will double flush and can be candle pruned just like Japanese black pine to get reduced needle length. However, this is a risky tactic because needles are short lived - needles that are browning and dropping now, were new needles in 2013! JWP hold needles for an additional season.


thats very different from what i've read-what about branch removal? There's a few that Need to be remove due to a knuckle forming.


Branches can be removed whenever you would like. Of course one can avoid the 'horror of resin bleed' by not doing this in the spring.

0soyoung
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Couple Id's and EWP question

Post  giga on Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:36 am

What about the second tree Id?

giga
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Couple Id's and EWP question

Post  David Brunner on Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:29 am

Hello Giga!  I think you are very close with the ID of your second tree.  The doubly-serrate leaf margins and smooth bark sure look like a birch.  But there are several species it still could be.  When you turn the leaf over, are there tiny tufts of hair in the axils where the leaf veins meet the central vein?  If no, you are most likely right and your tree is Betula alleghaniensis (Yellow Birch); if yes, your tree is probably Betula lenta (Black Birch).

Wishing you the best with these collections!
David B.

David Brunner
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Couple Id's and EWP question

Post  Sponsored content Today at 5:52 pm


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum