Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My Two Hawthorn

3 posters

Go down

My Two Hawthorn Empty My Two Hawthorn

Post  FlyingFox Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:11 pm

I posted yesterday asking for some advice and was asked to post some photos, so here they are! This is going to be my first attempt at creating a bonsai, so I would like some advice please Smile

First up we have a hawthorn that I spotted whilst out hunting for bonsai recently. Without really thinking about the best approach I uprooted it, took it home and potted it up. Apologies for the quality of the photography. Here it is, from all four sides:

My Two Hawthorn EXKcx
My Two Hawthorn P25Pt
My Two Hawthorn XpSot
My Two Hawthorn NJRgn

It has a fair few branches at the bottom there, and is about 1.5 feet high. It was originally growing more on its side. It has a thick strong root going right down to the bottom of the pot but not much else in the way of roots. Is this potential bonsai material? I thought I should probably wait a year for it to get used to the move and then prune it back, but I would greatly value any advice anyone can give on what they would do next.

Next up is a tree that's growing in my hedge. It was difficult to get a decent picture of it as it's growing in amongst a lot of foliage but here is the best I could get:

My Two Hawthorn Py0YD

You can just about make it out. It's quite tall and slender, and stands at about 3 feet. I'm not sure it would make such a good bonsai as the main branches don't really form until further up but I thought I'd post it here to see if anyone thought it was worth having a go.

I know I should probably just take the bull by the horns and dive in, but I would like my first steps into creating my first bonsai to be successful!

FF

FlyingFox

Back to top Go down

My Two Hawthorn Empty Re: My Two Hawthorn

Post  Michael T Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:35 pm

As to the first, I'd let it grow at least one season based on your description of the roots before I did anything. It needs to be established before you fuss with it. WIth one main root and winter (?) coming on I'd have concerns that it won't survive come spring. Let others weigh in on that aspect who are more familiar with Hawthorn.

I personally wouldn't consider it to be bonsai material, but it might make an interesting shohin sized bonsai provided it shoots back low enough.

I love hawthorns though, so I wish you success with it.

I can't make much out of the hedge photo you submitted.

Michael T

Back to top Go down

Post  FlyingFox Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:40 pm

Thanks for the advice. I'll get a bit of board or something and put it behind the second tree to give a better picture.

FlyingFox

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:27 pm

Hi FF Michael is right let the tree do its own thing for at least a year to let it gain some roots. You could reduce the leggy growth by about 2/3rds in the mean time. Hawthorn dont have a huge ammount of roots, especially at this stage. This little tree has quite a bit of character and will make a sweet shohin sized tree.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:24 pm

Hi FF,

Close to you is one of the UKs finest collectors of Hawthorn raw material... the eponymous 'Bear' or Brian... to his friends. He collects excellent trees and lives in Bude (is that far from you)... you should get together with him... Bear is a member on this forum... give him a PM.

regards

Tony

Back to top Go down

Post  landerloos Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:42 am

I would not use time and effort in the these trees, not even as shohin.
You can keep them if you are young and can wait a long time.

Kind regards
Peter
landerloos
landerloos

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down