Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Small shohin elm

5 posters

Go down

Small shohin elm Empty Small shohin elm

Post  JimLewis Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:48 pm

This guy stands 7 1/2 inches off the pot (Dale Cochoy) rim. It is a root cutting from a larger cork-bark elm I'm working on. The cutting is about two years old. I've just started wiring some shape into the trunks. The tiny branches need wiring, too, but I'm not sure my shaky hands will ever manage that. I'll probably have to work with clip and grow on my smaller trees now.

This started out just as a large root I separated from the main tree. I left it in the pot and lo and behold it popped some leaves. When I repotted the larger tree I separated the tangled roots of the two, and plopped this one into a small plastic nursery pot. This is the result.

Suggestions welcomed.

Small shohin elm 9-14_m10

Small shohin elm 9-14_m11
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Small shohin elm Empty Re: Small shohin elm

Post  DougB Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:42 pm

Isn't it great when nature takes over and does her own thing? Neat tree and I well understand clip/grow as opposed to shaky hands that break little branches when trying to wire.

As for this tree I can see bending the top back over to the right and using the little branch at the top left to become a new apex. Keep us informed.
DougB
DougB

Back to top Go down

Post  Neli Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:51 pm

If you have stopped fattening it, I would personally cut it hard back,,,both branches.
Neli
Neli

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:07 pm

Neli wrote:If you have stopped fattening it, I would personally cut it hard back,,,both branches.

That's a thought. Thanks, Neli.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  steveb Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:45 am

I really like the movement of the trunk and think it looks great as is. Cutting it back hard as suggested may put more movement into the top of the trunk to match that in the bottom. By planting at a different angle, it may also make a nice semi-cascade.

Thanks.
Steve
steveb
steveb

Back to top Go down

Small shohin elm Empty small shohin elm

Post  moyogijohn Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:47 am

JIM,, This one I like !! my opion 2ond pic as the front.. in time remove the small root on the top. nice tree as it is !! take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down