Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A couple small ficus

+4
Hank Miller
KennedyMarx
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
MrFancyPlants
8 posters

Go down

A couple small ficus Empty A couple small ficus

Post  MrFancyPlants Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:42 am

I apologize for the blurry photos.. I have a minor disability that limits my fine motor skills like handwriting. Camera work and wiring. Sorry for the nearly redundant photos, but one has the "apex" if you can call it that. And the other my amateur wire work. It has been popping back in all the right places.

Does anyone have a recommendation for removing the algae on the base of the one in the oval? It lost it's perfect first branch during my 3-week long hydroponics experiment/ vacation. Would you believe my friend would refill the reservoir once a week while I was gone? Oh well, at least it survived.
A couple small ficus Image15
A couple small ficus Image14
A couple small ficus Image13
MrFancyPlants
MrFancyPlants

Back to top Go down

A couple small ficus Empty Re: A couple small ficus

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:59 am

hey hey MFP (dang - i forgetted your name, but i remember that you surf)
re: the algae, i would think a tooth brush, or soft brass wire brush would do the trick...
coupled with a scrubbing agent thats not harmful to the tree (i wont speculate on that part)

btw, if that ficus is as small as it looks, i dig it (from what i can see)
and think it will end up as a nice lil shohin/mame
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  KennedyMarx Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:47 am

An old toothbrush dipped in water should take that algae off. Even better is watered down vinegar. Both those are for cuttings, right? I can't remember right now.
KennedyMarx
KennedyMarx

Back to top Go down

Post  MrFancyPlants Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:01 am

The 'too little' in the oval is actually the mother plant.. I have 4 cuttings that I am growing out in an anderson with a couple other tropicals, but haven't styled yet. I was thinking of growing at least one up to a house plant size.. those tiny leaves might look pretty cool then.
MrFancyPlants
MrFancyPlants

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:47 pm

won't letting it grow out make leaf reduction more difficult ?

(sounds like a dumb question as i typed it)
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  MrFancyPlants Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:49 pm

'too little' is a genetic variation of the benjimina, so even growing it out wouldn't make the leaves that much larger. It is a bad picture; just to the right are some regular sized 'Christine' benjimina leaves. It is also a variety, and has closer internodes, but regular leaf size.
MrFancyPlants
MrFancyPlants

Back to top Go down

Post  Hank Miller Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:39 am

Put a drop or two of bleach in a cup of water and brush mixture  on unwanted algae and/or moss.
Hank Miller
Hank Miller

Back to top Go down

Post  MrFancyPlants Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:13 pm

Awesome, thanks for the advice. I'll try bleach first and then give the vinegar a shot if that doesn't work(a few days later). I still haven't gotten around to giving them a scrub yet, but I am planning on repotting all of the tropicals before I bring them in for the winter. The repotting will be two fold. To clean up/reposition, as well as to insert rayon mop strands into the pots for my vacation hydroponic setup. Also, at some point this season I used some of my friend's guano based organic fertilizer; that may have contributed to the algae sludge.
MrFancyPlants
MrFancyPlants

Back to top Go down

Post  MrFancyPlants Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:34 pm

A couple small ficus Image16
A couple small ficus Image17

I cleaned off the scum a little bit w vinigar and water, and am real tempted to repot and scrub more soon. The little ones soil is pretty gross looking. And, I wasn't pleased with the crossing root on the willow leaf.  Should it stay or go.
MrFancyPlants
MrFancyPlants

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:10 pm

And, I wasn't pleased with the crossing root on the willow leaf. Should it stay or go.

It will leave a large scar. Your best bet probably is to plant the tree a bit deeper.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  ogie Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:55 am

Hi
Use detergent powder with water it never fails and wash it off mediatelh with water.. Purely very safe sir and regarding any scar or thinkening of trunk patience will always play vital role pot the whole tree in deeper pot let it grow vigorously...ficus are very versatile and nice to work on..
Regards
ogie
ogie

Back to top Go down

Post  MrFancyPlants Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:38 am

A couple small ficus Img_0516
A couple small ficus Img_0518
A couple small ficus Img_0515
A couple small ficus Img_0517
MrFancyPlants
MrFancyPlants

Back to top Go down

A couple small ficus Empty Little ficus

Post  MrFancyPlants Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:42 pm

This willow leaf ficus is responding, much better than the rest of my ficus, to an early summer cutback. I’m all done with the sacrifices on the lower branches and it fortunately busded back well when I lopped the length off. I think this was only wired once. I am glad I did but now will focus on ramification and trying to keep the form in tight. I like this cheap pot for it but maybe it could use a change of shoes sometime soon.

A couple small ficus 5db23e10
A couple small ficus 9744ab10
MrFancyPlants
MrFancyPlants

Back to top Go down

Post  Leo Schordje Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:16 pm

nice fat trunk shohin
well done and they have survived over the years. I find my smaller trees are more likely to die off from accidents, neglected water, what ever. My larger trees tend to hang in and bounce back from neglect. Point being, I am complimenting you on keeping very small trees going over a number of years. Well done.
Leo Schordje
Leo Schordje

MrFancyPlants likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:33 pm

Leo Schordje wrote:Point being, I am complimenting you on keeping very small trees going over a number of years. Well done.

lol!
Leo - you slay me !
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  MrFancyPlants Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:52 pm

Thank you Leo.

Usually, I'd have at least one dryness induced defoliation event over the northern temperate indoor season, but not this past year... I had them in an 40G aquarium w/ LEDs and they were happier when I got back from a 1 mo vacation than when I left.. I think continual fertilization helped push some growth.. certainly not drying out helped. A couple small ficus Img_0810
A couple small ficus Img_0710
MrFancyPlants
MrFancyPlants

Back to top Go down

Post  LanceMac10 Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:42 am

Leo Schordje wrote: trees going over a number of years.

9/10 ths of Bonsai...... Sad
LanceMac10
LanceMac10

MrFancyPlants likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down