Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Collected Pyracantha 2

5 posters

Go down

Collected Pyracantha 2  Empty Collected Pyracantha 2

Post  Poink88 Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:27 pm

On 3/16/2014, several local bonsai club members and I went on a dig. We finished at noon and had a great time. There were 6 of us but  we only took 2-4 trees each and left a ton more.

There were 4 pyracantha and I took 2. Another friend took one but it was so difficult all 6 of us teamed up on it. All are in the property line and portion of each tree are on the other side of the fence...I had to dig under the tree and fence to cut roots going the other way. It was hard!!!

Here are some pics...

Pyracantha 2
Before pic (w/ chopped #1 on the background)
Collected Pyracantha 2  P1160312

As taken out of the hole.
Collected Pyracantha 2  Pyraca11

Root ball chopped back with a hatchet to flatten it. Very Happy (possible front)
Collected Pyracantha 2  Pyraca12

After repot...
Collected Pyracantha 2  P1160313

On 04/12/2014, it got trimmed back a lot and sporting new growth already. Lots of carving coming next year.  Looking back, shouldn't have chopped the main trunk as low. Sad  Oh well....
Collected Pyracantha 2  P1160510

As with Pyracantha 1..this too is looking like a ball of green now.  Will be reviewed come spring.
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Collected Pyracantha 2  Empty Re: Collected Pyracantha 2

Post  kauaibonsai Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:51 pm

this stump has wonderful potential. looking forward to its development.

best wishes, sam

kauaibonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:37 pm

Thanks Sam! cheers

It is under potted so I plan on moving it to a bigger tub come spring.
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  M. Frary Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:46 pm

I love your urban yamadori Dario. I don't think I've seen this one before. I also am a suckered for a fat gnarly stump. I only can collect wild trees here. Not urban in any way. Not even sure where I live can rate rural area.

M. Frary

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:13 pm

Thanks Mike. I am just lucky finding good quality (free) materials. Being willing to work helped too I guess.

This one is growing very well, especially now that the hot weather is getting milder. I hope it does the same next year after I chose the front and setting styling goals. Smile
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:18 pm

Any idea of the age of these shrubs? I collected a bunch years back that were planted in the mid-1960's. They did well for a few years but started to decline; I was told by other bonsai people that Pyracantha are short lived trees and might live to be 60 years old; thus the reason that they were replaced by the shopping mall. Still, have fun with them Very Happy
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  Fore Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:09 pm

Hey Dario, good to see ya!

This yr, there hasn't been ONE worthwhile tree to collect. Just a really lame yr for CL-free lol

I'm still upset over loosing those yews last yr, but the huge juni I did collect (not cl) this yr is doing awesome. I do believe I have a handle on u. yamadori now. My biggest mistake was not using pumice, and not putting them in full sun. I listened to the wrong people...many lessons learned.

Now, you just one upped me on this kickin' pyracantha! Beautiful tree Dario! (oh, btw, remember my small pyracantha from earlier this yr when you told me to cut back more. I agreed and did just that, but never updated the thread. I'm glad you suggested it Wink

Chris
Fore
Fore

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:48 pm

Todd Ellis wrote:Any idea of the age of these shrubs? I collected a bunch years back that were planted in the mid-1960's. They did well for a few years but started to decline; I was told by other bonsai people that Pyracantha are short lived trees and might live to be 60 years old; thus the reason that they were replaced by the shopping mall. Still, have fun with them Very Happy

I have no idea how old this is. The house I got it from is probably 50 years old and the (new) home owner called these "plants from hell". I think she hates pruning them.

According to this... http://plants.findthebest.com/l/1350/Pyracantha-coccinea they have moderate lifespan which is somewhere between 100-250 years.

I am worried about blight more.
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:58 pm

Fore wrote:Hey Dario, good to see ya!

This yr, there hasn't been ONE worthwhile tree to collect.  Just a really lame yr for CL-free lol

I'm still upset over loosing those yews last yr, but the huge juni I did collect (not cl) this yr is doing awesome.  I do believe I have a handle on u. yamadori now.  My biggest mistake was not using pumice, and not putting them in full sun.  I listened to the wrong people...many lessons learned.

Now, you just one upped me on this kickin' pyracantha!  Beautiful tree Dario!  (oh, btw, remember my small pyracantha from earlier this yr when you told me to cut back more.  I agreed and did just that, but never updated the thread.  I'm glad you suggested it Wink

Chris
Chris,

Hardly any here also but I am not actively looking because my yard is full and I am planning on downsizing a bit.

Glad to be of help. Too many people are very conservative with their collection not knowing some of it are actually causing their problems. One of my club mate (a several month newbie) saved a nice 2" dia x 2 feet branch from this tree for cutting...she had no idea if it will work but tried--nothing to lose anyway. Last I heard it is growing very well. I learned something new from her! Smile
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down