Ulmus Minor/ European Field elm

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Ulmus Minor/ European Field elm

Post  Leo Schordje on Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:33 pm

I love the work you have done. Love the roots, nebari, the dead wood, the open hollow, all the details.

Really nice tree.

Except one item, that may be my personal taste. If it were my tree, I don't like the angle of the first segment in relation to the pot. From your front, it comes up at a 90 degree angle from the soil line. The first segment looks like the start of a formal upright. It gives a sense that it is not part of the whole tree. Somewhat disconcerting.

Now I realize this tree, and its well developed nebari is past the point where you could change the planting angle much. But perhaps you could change the image by choosing a different "front" for the tree. One of this side views would be a better "front" in terms of unifying the top half of the tree with the gnarly, nebari.

Just my personal taste. I know it would be too difficult to change the planting angle significantly. Perhaps a slight change in planting angle, combined with a rotation of the tree would do the trick.

Just my 2 cents. I would be proud to own this tree, it is a very nice composition overall.

Leo Schordje

Back to top Go down

Post  BobbyLane on Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:43 pm

Cheers Leo for your comments, i understand what your saying about the tree going up and then bending away, ive never really looked at it like that.
The planting angle can indeed be changed, but for now it will establish and develop as it is for a few years without re potting. because tbh i still dont know what the front of the tree is, i enjoy viewing it from all angles.
it sits on a rotating plate on my balcony and i turn it all the time, this is my current favourite view, which is a slight change of what i chose as the front

But then from here it has more taper and flow but loses power and leans back a little, but that could change if tilted forward

a further rotation shows good taper, nice nebari spread and flow, but the branching needs to be developed and it needs one or two branches to sprout from the right side of the trunk, maybe this is a potential 'primary view' Wink

i like the tree from here too, but its obviously leaning away

so yeh, it just needs some time to develop, will update later in year, thanks for the comments everyone.

BobbyLane

Back to top Go down

Post  kevin stoeveken on Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:47 pm

damn bobby... all these replies and i cant even see the pics you posted here and your other threads Crying or Very sad
(web filter here at work)

are you posting pics someway other than the forum's photo host ?
(the forum hosted ones seem to get thru the filter...)

AAC Original Milwaukee Wi. Chapter - North America

aka beer city snake
link to ARBOR ARTS COLLECTIVE BLOG

kevin stoeveken

Back to top Go down

Post  BobbyLane on Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:59 pm

Not sure why you can't see them, if i log out i can still see them even from my phone, you can see my latest pics ive posted on my Flickr account in my sig.
I use photobucket to host the pics but some of the URL were copied/pasted from threads on another forum, that maybe why. but photobucket is such a pain and so frustratingly slow im not doing it all again even the images dont resize properly at times, so will update in spring, but next time ill do them all directly from photobucket Smile

Sorry buddy

BobbyLane

Back to top Go down

Post  kevin stoeveken on Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:04 pm

no sweat bobby... i dont imagine i'm the only one with an issue...
photobucket is a "dirty" site and that explains why i cant see them...
(by "dirty" i mean spammy...)

if photobucket is slow and frustrating it is because they want you there longer to generate ad revenue

the photo hosting site within this forum is pretty hassle free

aka beer city snake

kevin stoeveken

Back to top Go down

Post  BobbyLane on Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:02 am

I wonder if you can see them now? took the lock off a few albums, not sure if this was the reason...

Cheers

BobbyLane

Back to top Go down

Post  kevin stoeveken on Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:38 pm

nope !
still nothing...

BUT i had some time at home last night (no filter) and perused the pictures...
and i gotta say i too really dig it and it looks like nice work on your part !

aka beer city snake

kevin stoeveken

Back to top Go down

Rebuilding the crown and searching for best flow to trunkline

Post  BobbyLane on Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:30 pm

Edit

BobbyLane

Back to top Go down

Post  BobbyLane on Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:21 pm

This one underwent a few changes since the last post. potting angle is a lot better and the tree looks more stable and grounded. i cringe at the earlier photos, thanks for the suggestions everyone. part of the apex also died off and a lower branch wired up as a leader. still, its grown well this summer and winter will reveal the work ive been doing...

IMG_2386 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
IMG_2387 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

BobbyLane

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 11:40 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum