Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ulmus Minor/ European Field elm

+11
Eric Group
misfit1
yamasuri
steveb
Todd Ellis
JudyB
Richard S
Zach Smith
JimLewis
Poink88
BobbyLane
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Ulmus Minor/ European Field elm - Page 2 Empty Re: Ulmus Minor/ European Field elm

Post  Todd Ellis Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:14 pm

I like everything about this tree. Nice job on the carving too. The pot is tops!
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Ulmus Minor/ European Field elm - Page 2 Empty Re: Ulmus Minor/ European Field elm

Post  BobbyLane Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:55 pm

Little update, this was repotted three weeks ago, still lots to do on this in terms of ramification, but the primary branching is set..

Ulmus Minor/ European Field elm - Page 2 23966829295_0afb8d7fe8IMG_5700 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

Last edited by BobbyLane on Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:33 am; edited 1 time in total
BobbyLane
BobbyLane

Back to top Go down

Post  steveb Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:12 am

Looks great in that pot. Once it fills out it will be a stunning tree. Thanks for sharing.
steveb
steveb

Back to top Go down

Post  yamasuri Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:07 pm

Very strong potential...nice trunk line fits nicely to pot. Thanks for sharing. Keep us update. thumbs up
yamasuri
yamasuri

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard S Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:33 pm

Very nice tree, developing well. I like it a lot.

The pots great too!

One question though, do you see this as the final position for the tree in that pot? Obviously you'll have a vision for the future and only you know exactly how you envisage the branch/foliage development but as it stands I would have tried to place the tree further to the right.

Mind you, I'm no expert so that might just be me.

Great potential anyway.

Cheers

Richard
Richard S
Richard S

Back to top Go down

Post  misfit1 Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:47 pm

Richard S wrote:Very nice tree, developing well. I like it a lot.

One question though, do you see this as the final position for the tree in that pot? Obviously you'll have a vision for the future and only you know exactly how you envisage the branch/foliage development but as it stands I would have tried to place the tree further to the right.

I agree. The planting angle you had in the grow pot suited the tree better, in my opinion. As it is in the bonsai pot the trunk base is too straight and it give the impression of unbalance as it is heavier to the left. Tilting the tree to the right at the next repot would help it a lot.

Nonetheless, it is on its way to becoming a very nice tree. I like the pot very much.

Cory
misfit1
misfit1

Back to top Go down

Post  BobbyLane Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:48 pm

Thanks for all the comments....This new angle just kind of grew on me and i think it looks more powerful from this view, the tree looks to have more taper with the first angle though, i like both angles and could maybe turn it again in the future, i even thought about a round pot for it. a couple others also said it looks a little unbalanced, but i planted it more left because the plan is to have the first right branch extend to the edge of the pot and the canopy will be much fuller and wider. i think it will appear more in balance then..
BobbyLane
BobbyLane

Back to top Go down

Post  yamasuri Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:52 am

Code:
but i planted it more left because the plan is to have the first right branch extend to the edge of the pot and the canopy will be much fuller and wider. i think it will appear more in balance then..

This was also in my mind that's why I didn't coment position of the tree in pot
yamasuri
yamasuri

Back to top Go down

Post  BobbyLane Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:07 pm

Hi folks, just a quick updated image of my Ulmus Campestre after wiring and some deadwood work done a few weeks ago

Ulmus Minor/ European Field elm - Page 2 23940726306_5c5bf4a8b6_zIMG_8157 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
Ulmus Minor/ European Field elm - Page 2 23671147070_8f4d2f8a1b_zIMG_8180 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

This one still has a lot of growing to do, will update again later in the year, Thanks

Last edited by BobbyLane on Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:37 am; edited 1 time in total
BobbyLane
BobbyLane

Back to top Go down

Post  Eric Group Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:55 pm

BobbyLane wrote:Hi folks, just a quick updated image of my Ulmus Campestre after wiring and some deadwood work done a few weeks ago

Ulmus Minor/ European Field elm - Page 2 760cbd92-f758-4a23-8bbc-367432f728f6
Ulmus Minor/ European Field elm - Page 2 IMG_8159
Ulmus Minor/ European Field elm - Page 2 IMG_8160
Ulmus Minor/ European Field elm - Page 2 IMG_8164Ulmus Minor/ European Field elm - Page 2 IMG_8173
Ulmus Minor/ European Field elm - Page 2 IMG_8174Ulmus Minor/ European Field elm - Page 2 IMG_8179
Ulmus Minor/ European Field elm - Page 2 IMG_8180

This one still has a lot of growing to do, will update again later in the year, Thanks
Nice tree Bobby!

Eric Group

Back to top Go down

Post  Leo Schordje Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:33 pm

I love the work you have done. Love the roots, nebari, the dead wood, the open hollow, all the details.

Really nice tree.

Except one item, that may be my personal taste. If it were my tree, I don't like the angle of the first segment in relation to the pot. From your front, it comes up at a 90 degree angle from the soil line. The first segment looks like the start of a formal upright. It gives a sense that it is not part of the whole tree. Somewhat disconcerting.

Now I realize this tree, and its well developed nebari is past the point where you could change the planting angle much. But perhaps you could change the image by choosing a different "front" for the tree. One of this side views would be a better "front" in terms of unifying the top half of the tree with the gnarly, nebari.

Just my personal taste. I know it would be too difficult to change the planting angle significantly. Perhaps a slight change in planting angle, combined with a rotation of the tree would do the trick.

Just my 2 cents. I would be proud to own this tree, it is a very nice composition overall.
Leo Schordje
Leo Schordje

Back to top Go down

Post  BobbyLane Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:43 pm

Cheers Leo for your comments, i understand what your saying about the tree going up and then bending away, ive never really looked at it like that.
The planting angle can indeed be changed, but for now it will establish and develop as it is for a few years without re potting. because tbh i still dont know what the front of the tree is, i enjoy viewing it from all angles.
it sits on a rotating plate on my balcony and i turn it all the time, this is my current favourite view, which is a slight change of what i chose as the front
Ulmus Minor/ European Field elm - Page 2 9b77c7d5-d02f-4c0f-bc27-799ca32d7b51
Ulmus Minor/ European Field elm - Page 2 IMG_8888

But then from here it has more taper and flow but loses power and leans back a little, but that could change if tilted forward
Ulmus Minor/ European Field elm - Page 2 8b2d1885-b38e-4f84-b6f5-c0da8bdf4b52

a further rotation shows good taper, nice nebari spread and flow, but the branching needs to be developed and it needs one or two branches to sprout from the right side of the trunk, maybe this is a potential 'primary view' Wink

Ulmus Minor/ European Field elm - Page 2 D64fcc31-3363-4b35-b48c-7deb090803ed

i like the tree from here too, but its obviously leaning away
Ulmus Minor/ European Field elm - Page 2 11342b78-21b6-400e-b7cd-d8ca18fa22e4

so yeh, it just needs some time to develop, will update later in year, thanks for the comments everyone.
BobbyLane
BobbyLane

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:47 pm

damn bobby... all these replies and i cant even see the pics you posted here and your other threads Crying or Very sad
(web filter here at work)

are you posting pics someway other than the forum's photo host ?
(the forum hosted ones seem to get thru the filter...)
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  BobbyLane Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:59 pm

Not sure why you can't see them, if i log out i can still see them even from my phone, you can see my latest pics ive posted on my Flickr account in my sig.
I use photobucket to host the pics but some of the URL were copied/pasted from threads on another forum, that maybe why. but photobucket is such a pain and so frustratingly slow im not doing it all again even the images dont resize properly at times, so will update in spring, but next time ill do them all directly from photobucket Smile

Sorry buddy
BobbyLane
BobbyLane

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:04 pm

no sweat bobby... i dont imagine i'm the only one with an issue...
photobucket is a "dirty" site and that explains why i cant see them...
(by "dirty" i mean spammy...)

if photobucket is slow and frustrating it is because they want you there longer to generate ad revenue

the photo hosting site within this forum is pretty hassle free
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  BobbyLane Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:02 am

I wonder if you can see them now? took the lock off a few albums, not sure if this was the reason...

Cheers
BobbyLane
BobbyLane

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:38 pm

nope !
still nothing...

BUT i had some time at home last night (no filter) and perused the pictures...
and i gotta say i too really dig it and it looks like nice work on your part !
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Ulmus Minor/ European Field elm - Page 2 Empty Rebuilding the crown and searching for best flow to trunkline

Post  BobbyLane Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:30 pm

Last edited by BobbyLane on Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:41 am; edited 1 time in total
BobbyLane
BobbyLane

Back to top Go down

Post  BobbyLane Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:21 pm

This one underwent a few changes since the last post. potting angle is a lot better and the tree looks more stable and grounded. i cringe at the earlier photos, thanks for the suggestions everyone. part of the apex also died off and a lower branch wired up as a leader. still, its grown well this summer and winter will reveal the work ive been doing...

Ulmus Minor/ European Field elm - Page 2 29409134120_f54327d926IMG_2386 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
Ulmus Minor/ European Field elm - Page 2 29409131580_2188a34c55IMG_2387 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
BobbyLane
BobbyLane

Back to top Go down

Ulmus Minor/ European Field elm - Page 2 Empty Still evolving

Post  BobbyLane Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:45 am

Here's an update

July 2017
Ulmus Minor/ European Field elm - Page 2 35967566042_e4374d9f1aIMG_5103 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

Sept 2017
Ulmus Minor/ European Field elm - Page 2 37133878866_3e0dd10653IMG_5457 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
Ulmus Minor/ European Field elm - Page 2 36510823063_836207c1beIMG_5471 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

Future plans will be to get more foliage over the front of the trunk
BobbyLane
BobbyLane

Back to top Go down

Post  Vlad Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:38 pm

Very nice elm with a great trunk movement, Bobby. Do you have any special reason to cover the trunk by the foliage?
Vlad
Vlad

Back to top Go down

Post  BobbyLane Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:55 pm

Hi Vlad, im striving to create a tree as it would appear in nature.. foliage covering the trunk usually from all angles, i dont want to cover the trunk entirely but obscure it so the trunk line is still visible through the foliage, Just a matter of training a couple branches into the empty spaces really and developing the crown
BobbyLane
BobbyLane

Back to top Go down

Post  AlainK Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:27 pm

It's becoming really nice!

You know I'm not a fan of dead wood, but this one looks really natural: I love it Cool
AlainK
AlainK

Back to top Go down

Post  BobbyLane Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:57 pm

Thanks

Here's a before and after without leaves

Nov 2014
Ulmus Minor/ European Field elm - Page 2 23340028373_45a3361724IMG_4776 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

Jan 2018
Ulmus Minor/ European Field elm - Page 2 38738901005_cf189a8826IMG_6274 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
BobbyLane
BobbyLane

Back to top Go down

Post  Vlad Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:14 am

Majority of us are trying to style the branches in a way that " a bird could fly through". Bobby, you are much further. On this tree the birds could fly even through the trunk... Cool

As like the tall and slim shape of the crown of Ulmus minor I am more attracted by the Nov 2014. But I am sure you have better design in your mind. Looking forward to follow the development of this tree.

Vlad
Vlad

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next