Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"Survivor" Winged elm - Ulmus Alata

+3
Zach Smith
Oliver Muscio
dorothy7774
7 posters

Go down

"Survivor" Winged elm - Ulmus Alata Empty "Survivor" Winged elm - Ulmus Alata

Post  dorothy7774 Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:07 am

Winged elm, Ulmus alata.

A very slow growing elm, that does not like getting dried out here in South Florida. This particular tree has been grown from a root cutting since about 25 years.
It is my very first elm. I have posted it on IBC years ago. I almost lost it due to a hot summer a few years ago and had to plant it back into a training pot. The tree
is fine now and can be transplanted next year. Basic structure is set, now begins the fine ramification process.

Winged elms are extremely slow growers, which is actually great for where I live. Now, they will shoot some long branches, but the main trunk and the main branches take forever to gain girth. A great tree to learn patience.

"Survivor" Winged elm - Ulmus Alata Winged_elm_first

"Survivor" Winged elm - Ulmus Alata Winged_elm

"Survivor" Winged elm - Ulmus Alata Winged_elm_11_13_13

"Survivor" Winged elm - Ulmus Alata Winged_elm_11_13_13_details3

"Survivor" Winged elm - Ulmus Alata Winged_elm_8_23_14

Best,
Dorothy
dorothy7774
dorothy7774

Back to top Go down

"Survivor" Winged elm - Ulmus Alata Empty Re: "Survivor" Winged elm - Ulmus Alata

Post  Oliver Muscio Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:21 am

Dorothy, you are right--they are slow to put on girth. I have one potted, and a couple more in the ground. Much slower than Chinese elmes!
Is the first photo of the tree in the oval pot the most recent, or the last one in a rectangular pot (either grown out or not yet cut back) the more recent photo? Looking good, either way.
Oliver

Oliver Muscio

Back to top Go down

"Survivor" Winged elm - Ulmus Alata Empty Re: "Survivor" Winged elm - Ulmus Alata

Post  dorothy7774 Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:12 pm

Oliver Muscio wrote:Dorothy, you are right--they are slow to put on girth.  I have one potted, and a couple more in the ground.  Much slower than Chinese elmes!
Is the first photo of the tree in the oval pot the most recent, or the last one in a rectangular pot (either grown out or not yet cut back) the more recent photo? Looking good, either way.
Oliver

Oliver, the last photo is from a few days ago.

Thanks,
Dorothy
dorothy7774
dorothy7774

Back to top Go down

Post  Oliver Muscio Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:36 pm

I guess the first photo is from before that hot summer problem. The last photo shows a great recovery!
Oliver

Oliver Muscio

Back to top Go down

Post  Zach Smith Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:32 am

Very nice work, Dorothy.

Zach

Zach Smith

Back to top Go down

Post  Barry M Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:32 pm

This is just my opinion and I suspect that it won't be a popular one but I will express it anyway. I like this tree very much (I'm sure that most on this board will agree with that). I find that the trunk is thick enough. I find it to be a realistic thickness as it is in a good proportion as compared to the height of the tree and the amount of foliage. The part of my post that others probably will disagree with is that I don't care for some OTHER trees in which the trunk is overly thick. Such bonsai trees do not look reasonably proportioned to me. So, to sum up, I have a good impression of this tree. It is very attractive and in good, realistic, proportion. But I do not like trees that are unrealistically thick unless they often occur that way in nature.

Barry M

Back to top Go down

Post  kcpoole Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:59 am

Beautiful tree Dorothy and nice recovery.

Barry M I totally agree that many trees we see as Bonsai are out of proportion in being to short. I personally like trees that are on the taller more slender side of the 6:1 - 12:1 ration of height to Girth.
With many of my trees, people have side that they are too thin, but to me they look much more elegant that a short stump.

Ken

kcpoole

Back to top Go down

Post  Pcagliari Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:46 am

Nice plant, very charm "nebari"
Congratulations!

Pcagliari

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:05 pm

Very nice recovery. Smile

Barry/Ken, There is room for both. Some (me included) like them both because I do not limit my view to "realistic" tree bonsai. Actually, bonsai (to me) is an exaggerated (to some extent) representation of trees to create illusion of age and size despite being diminutive.
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down