Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Moving to California from PA

+3
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
daudelus
SkyeH
7 posters

Go down

Moving to California from PA Empty Moving to California from PA

Post  SkyeH Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:25 pm

Hi all,
I have recently started to build up my collection of trees and have about 5 bonsai and over 100 pre-bonsai, mostly from collected materials. I currently live in Central Pennsylvania but plan to move to either California or Oregon in the next 2-3 years. I was recently told that I will not be able to bring a single one of my trees with me to either of those states. I have looked into this a little bit so far but have not been able to find any concrete information. I was hoping at the least I could bring a few if they where placed in quarantine or something like that. Does anyone have any experience or information they can share in this matter?

SkyeH

Back to top Go down

Moving to California from PA Empty Re: Moving to California from PA

Post  daudelus Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:51 pm

Some information I found on the topic... I think states don't want anything transported that isn't in a sterile soil... Some states require a certificate of inspection, and/or prohibit certain plants. "For instance, California strongly discourages bringing citrus plants, fruit and nut tress and pine trees, even ones grown indoors, and requires any 'household' plants be declared and easily accessible to border inspectors. Your local agricultural department should be able to provide information on regulations for the state you are moving to. If not, check with that state’s agricultural or natural resources department."
daudelus
daudelus

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:01 pm

SkyeH wrote:I was recently told that I will not be able to bring a single one of my trees with me to either of those states.

were you told that only in regards to the interstate transport laws or because of the types of trees you have not being adaptable to the (possibly very) different climate of those states (the difference of course varying by where in those states you will move to)

just curious, because for all the travelling i have done (including moving across several state lines), i have never experienced a "border inspection"...

not to say they dont exist, but how do vendors (and exhibitors) bring, sometimes hundreds, of trees across state lines for bonsai shows and conventions ?
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Leo Schordje Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:54 pm

Technically, I believe California requires a phytosanitary inspection certificate, possibly Oregon too. Check with them on the regulations, for both states their state Dept of Ag website should have links to their regulations and possibly FAQ.

Read the regs close, if they have an exemption for HOUSEPLANTS, be sure to declare your bonsai as such. They are in pots, and could be indoors, all be it, for only a few days at a time, but the inspectors don't need that detail.

Legally, that is what you should do.

Out of sight, out of mind. You could just make sure the trees are draped with a sheet or opaque tarp, to keep prying eyes off them, and drive right through. Trucks may be required to pass through the weigh stations, where the Ag inspectors are most likely to be. If you transport your trees in passenger vehicles, and have them draped to keep them from being obvious, I doubt you will have a problem.

If you want to be 100% legal, check for a local nursery near you who does export plants. They will have regular Phytosanitary inspections at their nursery. Talk with them, often for a small fee, you can bring your plants to them, when the inspector is scheduled and have them inspected and certified. Bring an itemized list of the trees to be inspected. You can then box your trees in boxes with the Phytosanitary certificate stamp of the nursery you brought them too.

I have also received a Phyto, (on a box of orchids) by bringing the plants to the Ag inspection station at my local International Airport. For a fee, they will inspect the plants there and issue the certificate. Bring an itemized list of the trees to be inspected. The Phyto may list the trees, or reference the itemized list on the certificate. It is a pain in the **** but it can be done if you really want to do it.

The additional pain in all this is that the trees really have to be bug free and disease free when they are inspected. There also is the possibility that some of them may be required to be shipped bare root.

I vote for the passenger vehicle covered with the bed sheet, but it is possible to do it right if you try.
Leo Schordje
Leo Schordje

Back to top Go down

Post  SkyeH Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:43 pm

Thank guys for all the info.

SkyeH

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:33 am

Leo, I know that you have mentioned the legal way too, but please do not advocate breaking state laws on here. There is a very good reason that they are in place and that is to prevent the spread of rampant diseases, that can occur completely innocently, by you transporting a couple of new bugs or an unknown disease across the border. There could be invisible spores or eggs on any recently infected plant and very few bonsaiists would know what to even look for.

In the UK we have already lost all of our mature Ulmus - Elms, we are currently losing all of our Larix - Larch and Fraxinus - Ash and our Quercus - Oaks are also under threat!
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DougB Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:43 pm

Here is a couple of state links to see what the state laws and departments of ag say:

California

Oregon

And you can always contact each of the Departments of Ag and ask them your specific questions.

enjoy
DougB
DougB

Back to top Go down

Post  Leo Schordje Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:58 pm

Kev Bailey wrote:Leo, I know that you have mentioned the legal way too, but please do not advocate breaking state laws on here. There is a very good reason that they are in place and that is to prevent the spread of rampant diseases, that can occur completely innocently, by you transporting a couple of new bugs or an unknown disease across the border. There could be invisible spores or eggs on any recently infected plant and very few bonsaiists would know what to even look for.  

In the UK we have already lost all of our mature Ulmus - Elms, we are currently losing all of our Larix - Larch and Fraxinus - Ash and our Quercus - Oaks are also under threat!  

You are correct, I should not have written what I did.

Actually, due to all the international shipping heading into California, that state is already loaded with invasive pests and diseases to the point that it is doubtful that there is no pest or disease in the lower 47 states that isn't already present in California. (Florida is an Ag pest nightmare, as bad as California) Plants shipping out of California and Florida are a bigger threat to the rest of the country than plants being shipped in from the lower 47 states.

But that does not excuse my error. So, to be clear, I am not advocating breaking any laws. Why did I know about getting Phytosanitary inspections at your local International Airport? It is because I do follow the law. When I shipped to a destination requiring a Phytosanitary Certificate, I actually went an got one.
Leo Schordje
Leo Schordje

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:12 pm

Leo Schordje wrote:
Kev Bailey wrote:Leo, I know that you have mentioned the legal way too, but please do not advocate breaking state laws on here.

You are correct, I should not have written what I did.

leo just got SPANKED !  Twisted Evil Razz lol! 

Leo Schordje wrote:So, to be clear, I am not advocating breaking any laws. It is because I do follow the law.

hhhhmmmm...
well in light of that little revelation, we may have to reconsider your membership in this thing of ours  Wink

(JK as the kids say)
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  MichaelJ Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:43 am

DougB wrote:Here is a couple of state links to see what the state laws and departments of ag say:

California

Here's another good link, including a handy-dandy official checklist.

http://www.cdfa.ca.gov/phpps/factsheets/TransportingPlantsCA.pdf

MichaelJ

Back to top Go down

Post  SkyeH Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:47 pm

Thanks Doug

SkyeH

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down