Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help make styling choice for juniper

+5
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
yamasuri
JimLewis
Vance Wood
Precarious
9 posters

Go down

Help make styling choice for juniper - Page 2 Empty Re: Help make styling choice for juniper

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:06 pm

right on... after getting out of the air force i hung around omaha from '82 until about '85 as i was in a band and it was fun being a big fish in a small pond... but like you, i moved away from milwaukee a few times and always end up back here...

back to the matter at hand:
i think you are getting some better advice from guys like vance, leo, et al, than from me as you have more good choices than i had to start with on the willow...

(btw in addition to what leo said, there is also DASU bonsai in iowa, but that might be good more for pots etc, than styling advice)
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Help make styling choice for juniper - Page 2 Empty Re: Help make styling choice for juniper

Post  Precarious Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:07 pm

bottasegreta wrote:Changing the potting angle of the tree would help reduce the cross-bar appearance of the those lowest two branches.  It's a "trick" I've heard Walter Pall mention a couple of times in workshops/demos.  Tilting the tree to the left (tree's right) an hour or so, for example, would make the left (tree's right) branch (or future jin) APPEAR lower and the opposite branch/jin APPEAR higher even though they emerge from the same point.  You can further enhance the effect by adjusting the size of the jins to create more imbalance between the two.  And, in that case, smaller, more subtle jins would be better.  What do you think?

This tree seems to speak squat, stable, short, balanced. Toward that end, I am looking at a central branch as a jin that perhaps tells a story of a lightning strike and explains why there are strong branches down low. That said, a small change in angle could accomplish what you suggest and is worth considering. Thank you!
Precarious
Precarious

Back to top Go down

Post  Precarious Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:55 am

Leo and Vance, I feel real hesitant to create jins down low in this instance.  The tree looks balanced and strong as it stands.  Perhaps the straight branch on the right could be saved by dramatic curving on the first branches off of it.  And, perhaps, the reality is that the final look is just not ready to show itself yet... At the time I purchased this, my thought was to simply remove the two lowest branches and the two directly above as well, since they are so small in comparison to what's above. I guess the possibility of the cuts healing over is unlikely, I'm learning. I've seen a knot hole on a couple of excellent junipers, but four seems pushing it.

I have been to DaSu Studio, but have not yet been to Deadwood. I HAVE been scouting that area however, for backpacking. I think a stop there to talk bonsai may have to be allowed for. I belong to the Nebraska Bonsai Society, but whoever schedules their events must work every other weekend and that weekend is opposite mine, because I seem to be working during 90% of their activities.

Thank you all for the input so far, and I welcome any other.  You've all been very gracious in the time you've spent with this.
Precarious
Precarious

Back to top Go down

Post  Vance Wood Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:57 pm

Precarious wrote:Leo and Vance, I feel real hesitant to create jins down low in this instance.  The tree looks balanced and strong as it stands.  Perhaps the straight branch on the right could be saved by dramatic curving on the first branches off of it.  And, perhaps, the reality is that the final look is just not ready to show itself yet...  At the time I purchased this, my thought was to simply remove the two lowest branches and the two directly above as well, since they are so small in comparison to what's above.  I guess the possibility of the cuts healing over is unlikely, I'm learning.  I've seen a knot hole on a couple of excellent junipers, but four seems pushing it.

I have been to DaSu Studio, but have not yet been to Deadwood.  I HAVE been scouting that area however, for backpacking.  I think a stop there to talk bonsai may have to be allowed for.  I belong to the Nebraska Bonsai Society, but whoever schedules their events must work every other weekend and that weekend is opposite mine, because I seem to be working during 90% of their activities.

Thank you all for the input so far, and I welcome any other.  You've all been very gracious in the time you've spent with this.

That's OK but you will eventually see it our way.
Vance Wood
Vance Wood

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:32 pm

I'd consider this as a start...you can always remove the lower trunk later if you wish.  Same is true with the jinned right trunk...I'd probably remove it.  Also note that you can jin some of the branches instead of removing them and chop as needed...you do need greens at the ends of the branch you want to keep.

Help make styling choice for juniper - Page 2 Img_1512

Another option
Help make styling choice for juniper - Page 2 Img_1513
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  Precarious Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:33 pm

Dario, thank you for going to the trouble. I like the first edit you posted- it seems more balanced to my eye. You mention branch removal OR jin creation. Others have steered me away from branch removal because of poor chance of healing/ugly scarring. Have you removed larger branches from junipers? If so, did you achieve a result you liked?

Bottasegretta, I reviewed this thread today and realized I never responded to your post about possibly changing the potting angle- I apologize. I like your suggestion. Angling it to the left would reduce that crossbar effect considerably.

For right now, I have mostly just pruned away foliage to encourage back-budding next year. My next decision will be whether or not to repot in the Spring. It has obviously thrived in nursery soil for some time, so maybe no to repotting- just work on the back-budding next year. I will have to examine the roots. If root-bound I think that will change my mind. If what I have been reading is correct, then the tree is unbalanced in favor of roots and it will work to rebalance by growing new foliage, so I hope repotting is needed later rather than sooner.

Thanks, the input is really helpful for me
Precarious
Precarious

Back to top Go down

Post  bottasegreta Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:19 pm

Can you post pictures of what you've done so far, maybe at the new angle(s) you're considering?

bottasegreta

Back to top Go down

Post  Arno Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:14 pm

Hello, precarious
You asked some questions of me on my post, so i will answer about your tree here, and my tree at my post. I like this tree, my biggest advice is time, haha, that sucks, but its true. Im still learning, although this is a 4 year work. I would change the potting angle too the left, and use the center. That left branch dosent work for me, if its the back i have cut flush and hidden it, keep it seeled , it will stay healthy, but it wont heal over for years. If its the front you could try and cut it flush, seal it, wait a couple days then change your potting angle to left,stick it under the ground, if you leave it there long enough it may make some nice nebari for you. (This may be bad advice, and im sure somone will correct me if it is) i would be sure to leave this for a couple years before messing with the replant. The right branch looks like it has lots of growth that could be nice first branch. The center is not too big to bend, make sure tree is fairly dry, junipers bend really well. There are a few posts here where people have bent much bigger branches, wrapped in a ton of rafia, double wired, and cranked with turn buckles or special benders. Pavel, walter pall, and others have good progresions, and even some videos. I too have mostly tropicals, so back to my original advice, do a little at a time, cut some, keep looking, bend some, keep looking, then eventually the tree reveals itself
just my humble opinions
arno
Arno
Arno

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down