Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Two Viburnum opulus / Viorne obier / Guelder Rose

2 posters

Go down

Two Viburnum opulus / Viorne obier / Guelder Rose Empty Two Viburnum opulus / Viorne obier / Guelder Rose

Post  AlainK Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:58 pm

BTW, who was this "Guelder"?...  Smile 

Seriously:

1/ a cutting from a Viburnum opulus 'Rosea', or Viburnum opulus 'Sterilis', about 12-15 cm tall. Since it's in a small pot and in a place where it gets 30-40 % sun in a day, the leaves are already quite reddish:

Two Viburnum opulus / Viorne obier / Guelder Rose 20140711142833-710d855f-me

2/ a much bigger one that was about as "big" as the first one when I borrowed it during a forest walk, so this is the wild species.  It's about 30-35 cm tall (about 11.81 inches -13.78 inches for the fans of medieval measurements).

It was defoliated on May 31st, that's why the leaves are so green. This is how it looks today - PS: I will cut off a couple more leaves, especially the two last ones at the top. To me, a series of rounded shapes are better, especially for the top. Most mature deciduous trees/shrubs have a rounded top and this one has reached its final hight in my opinion. The top should be treated as a kind of "broom" I think.

Two Viburnum opulus / Viorne obier / Guelder Rose 20140712123407-67e84c0f-me
AlainK
AlainK

Back to top Go down

Two Viburnum opulus / Viorne obier / Guelder Rose Empty Re: Two Viburnum opulus / Viorne obier / Guelder Rose

Post  leatherback Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:24 pm

Nice!

Guelder comes from Gelderse, I presume, which is the dutch word for 'from the region Gelderland'.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gelderland
Why it is called after gelderland.. I am not sure.

THe dutch name is gelderse roos: http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gelderse_roos
leatherback
leatherback

Back to top Go down