Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Azalea problems?

4 posters

Go down

Azalea problems? Empty Azalea problems?

Post  Deadsnowy Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:04 pm

Alright all,
First post etc Smile

So, I trunk chopped an azalea about two to three weeks ago and nothing has happened as of yet; have I just ruined its vigour or murdered it?
I did let it flower this year, was this a bad idea?
Cheers,
Snow

Deadsnowy

Back to top Go down

Azalea problems? Empty Re: Azalea problems?

Post  daudelus Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:14 pm

When you chopped it, did it have leaves or buds (aside from flower) on it? It could have already been dead possibly from the winter. Letting it flower could have weakened an already weak plant, but give it time. It is July and I am currently nursing an azalea back to health that only started budding out 2 weeks ago... having said that, I don't hold out hope for mine. Best of luck to yours!
daudelus
daudelus

Back to top Go down

Post  Deadsnowy Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:10 pm

I had thought as much about flowering weakening the tree.
Yes, it had leaves and was growing /slightly/ before I had chopped it. Was very much alive Smile I also dusted the cut site with cinnamon (I'm sure this didn't hurt the tree?)
Ah sucks!
Any care tips you could provide would be much appreciated!

Deadsnowy

Back to top Go down

Post  daudelus Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:20 pm

I would place it in semi shade (dappled) for a period until it begins to show better vigour. Be vigilant about the watering as it is not using the water as normal due to limited growth so far. I'm sure others will offer more.
daudelus
daudelus

Back to top Go down

Post  leatherback Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:34 pm

I would say that 2 weeks would be very quick to have clear budding happen, considering you probably cut back in very old wood, where the bud were very much dormant. I'd give it till a month after cutting before I'd start to worry.

Wondering why you put cinamon on it though
leatherback
leatherback

Back to top Go down

Post  Deadsnowy Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:46 pm

It's good for keeping diseases etc out of the wound, so I've been informed.
Ah okay I see, I've chopped a few trees and have seen new growth pretty quick...

Deadsnowy

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:27 pm

Azaleas are a completely different proposition to most other trees and react differently for several reasons. They are basally dominant, rather than apically dominant. In other words the top is the weakest portion of the tree and keeping a viable apex should always be your first thought. That said, if you have chopped a lot of top off, the lower part of the tree should be stronger and perhaps you may be able to construct a new lower apex, eventually, if it pops new buds anywhere near the top of what is now left. Don't keep it soaking as it won't need as much water as before, but equally don't let it dry out too far. Misting the above ground portion can help, without making the substrate any more damp. I agree about semi-shade. Good luck.
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down