suiseki in Guangxi, China (1)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

suiseki in Guangxi, China (1)

Post  riversoul on Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:37 am

Hi, friends, I here share some information about suiseki in Guangxi, China.

1. Da Hua stone
Da Hua stone also called Da Hua color jade stone come form in the Hong Shui He River near Da Hua town,Guangxi province. Washed by rapid torrent for more than 250 million years, Da Hua stone is endowed with strange shape and colourful bright. It is also jade silicide or high degree of mineralization. The quality is fine and smooth, rich color with glaze skin. The shapes are in different poses and with different expressions and hard texture, natural beauty. Da Hua viewing stone is a compilation of advantage of most part of Chinese viewing stone.
Da Hua stone exploited since from 1997 or earlier, the stone can be exploited only during 6 Km long river bed near Yan Tan hydropower station in Da Hua town due to it is water reserve ahead dam. The quarrying area under 30-60 meters deep of fast-flowing river, so the salvage of stone is very difficult.

2. Water washing stone
Water washing stone is also called “Lai Bin stone”, it comes from in Hongshui river in Lai Bin town near Liu Zhou, Guangxi province. The quality of stone material is solid, and the skin of stone is fine and smooth. There are many kinds of different water washing stones.

more infromation will contiue, hope you would like to read it......

with regards.

riversoul

riversoul

Back to top Go down

Re: suiseki in Guangxi, China (1)

Post  Guest on Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:59 am

Hi Riversoul

Your post is interesting reading, and I want to see more  Smile 

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Cochrane on Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:02 pm

Thanks, Riversoul. I like to learn more of stones and collecting in your region.

Are most stones retained by their collectors or marketed? I would imagine stones obtained from 30-60 meter depth in a fast flowing river must be commercially quarried unless the private collector is extremely resourceful.

Chris Cochrane

Back to top Go down

Post  riversoul on Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:22 am

Yes, almost all stones come into the markets in our city for sale or to the hands of some collectors when they obtained from the river.

I here have to tell you a true story about stone salvage below:
There are some special Divers in Guangxi province, they dive to the bed of deep river to look for fine stones,it is very hard and dangous work, they must overtake rapid flowing and changeable environment under deep riverbed, once they find a good stone, they must get rid of heavy sand cover on the stone, and then binding the stone with a steel wire rope or other tool, one ship on the river will drag the stone out from the botton of water. they are called " 水鬼“(kelpie) by local people, unfortunately, a accident sometimes maybe happen under the deep botton of river, and the "水鬼” will no long come back from the botton of river, they had lost their life but only leave us a bueatiful stone. This kind of accident often happen every year in China, so when we find and appreciate a wonderful stone, the stone maybe changed by a life of "水鬼", that is said some stones are beyond price.
In recently year, some " 水鬼“(kelpie) change to go to other province to look for better stone, such as Guizhou, Yunnan province. I wish they are lucky and hope any accident won't happen in the future.

With best regards.

riversoul

riversoul

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:40 am

Hi Riversoul...I like your name more and more  Smile 

Your story is very interesting, and one can only imagine the pain and trouble the divers have to suffer to find these wonderful stones, and earn their living.

Once I was in China, I bought a dahua without a daiza...must carve one soon...have just ben inspired. Afterwards, how is the stone best kept?...should I oil it, and how often?.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  riversoul on Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:54 am

Hi, Yvonne Graubaek
I don't think a fine stone should be put oil to keep bright. A fine stone can keep bright permanent.
Some Da Hua stone had been cut and polished for sale in China, so the skin of stone had been damaged and become mediocre, then you must put oil on it to keep it bueatiful. But there are still some natural Da Hua stones should put oil to keep it bright due to this kind of stone with a higher Oil absorption rate.
I don't know what kind of Da Hua stone you have bought. The best way to keep stone bright is touching it by your hands or paint some wax on the skin of stone.
Hope it can help you.

with regards.

riversoul

riversoul

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:54 am

Many thanks for your answer....this is my stone

It is doha-style, with lakes on the Platou...for a dahua does it have a strange color.
I bought it in China in 2010, the stone have ben in the garden sinse, and has become slightly bidden by weather. Standing 11 cm tall, and 15.5 cm wide

What is the best thing to do...is it a dahua?...same stonequality, difrent color

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Cochrane on Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:11 pm

Hi Riversoul... You note that stone collectors should not apply oil(s) to their stones and, then, add:
Riversoul wrote:The best way to keep stone bright is touching it by your hands or paint some wax on the skin of stone.

Touching stones with your hands is slow oiling & will reduce a stone's natural translucence over time.  Waxing is indistinguishable from oiling; wax moves from the surface to within a stone & collects dirt.  Over a very few years if not sooner, wax will travel as an oil  within the stone; as the oil changes color (collecting dirt), it supersedes the stone's natural color as well as translucence.

Collectors should be concerned at following advice to apply emollients such as wax, creams or oil to stones from ANY source.  Once you start wetting a stone with emollients, only adding more emollients will return brightness (wetting) to the surface.  Once emollients collect dirt within a stone, the natural color and translucence decline.

As you note, Riversoul, the original natural color (& translucence) of a stone is most appreciated.  Artificially wetted surfaces should be a warning to stone purchasers, and informed collectors learn to avoid stones with artificially-wetted surfaces.

Members of the IBC forum have repeatedly miscalculated the damage caused by adding emollients which penetrate a stone's surface.  Even soap/detergent will not entirely wash out of a stone, & the repeatedly soaped/washed/soaped ad infinitum surface deteriorates.  The effect over years becomes tragic.

Chris Cochrane

Back to top Go down

Post  riversoul on Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:13 pm

Hi, Yvonne Graubaek
Thanks for your picture.
By my knowledge from your picture, your stone may be a Da Hua stone but not a standard Da Hua stone, its skin is so rough different from standard Da Hua stone, most Da HUA stone have smooth skin like jade.
I suggest you can remove stain by a iron brush and wash it clear, and then check whether it become better or not. I can not really confirm your stone is Da Hua stone only by your picture because I have some doubt for it.

With regards

riversoul

riversoul

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:38 pm

Hi Again...I send you a photo of the backside, maybe it help

The hardines of the stone is the same as dahua, and it is also smooth like a dahua, only the color is difrent....sediments has grown on it in my garden, and they will go away were I rub the stone, if I decide to do so.

If it is a dahua or not is not realy important, but I would like to hear your second opinion.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Cochrane on Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:30 pm

Dahua stones were for several years marketed consistently in USA (and likely elsewhere) as "Red River Stones."  Collectors were aware at the time of their growing scarcity.  Kemin Hu wrote of Red River Stones in 2008 [click HERE].

"Dehua" is most widely associated internationally with Imperial kilns creating blanc-de-chine (and other porcelain) in Dehua County, Fujian Province, China.  It was reasonable to not confuse the porcelain production area with the stone collecting area.  Today, "Dehua" is more often referenced than the less-specific description "Red River," which includes two collecting sites.

The primary distinction of Red River Stones has been their considerable weight in addition to smooth and naturally-unctuous (oily, translucent) surface. To my mind it is both unfortunate and destructive for new Dehua stones to be marketed as enhanced with baby oil or vaseline (check-out descriptions in eBay!).  I wonder at the enhanced stones actual origin.  Genuine Dehua stones have natural translucence-- even those which are not colorful.  

In 2004, my Chinese friend Benny (who studied bonsai with me in Japan), gifted a stone to me from his home province in Anhui, China.  It has the the natural oily translucence of Dehua stones as well as their fine-grain, hefty weight & smooth surface.  Benny thought every stone from Anhui was a Lingbi stone-- but, of course, Lingbi are limestones rather than silica-based.  This one appears closer to Red River stones, without the bright color that characterizes many.

Front (length 26 cm/10 1/4")...

Back...

Bottom...

Chris Cochrane

Back to top Go down

Post  riversoul on Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:19 am

Hi, Yvonne Graubaek:
It is real Da Hua stone after I check the second picture of another side of your stone. There are many kind of Da Hua stones in our city as same color as yours. Hope you like it.

Thanks and regards.

riversoul

riversoul

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:43 am

Hi Riversoul

Many thanks for your reply...I am now happy to know it is a Da Hua...also many thanks for the information on how I should treat the stone.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 9:38 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum