Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hornbeam suggestions please

4 posters

Go down

Hornbeam suggestions please Empty Hornbeam suggestions please

Post  Michael Cooper Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:57 pm

I have owned and rather neglected this Hornbeam for years, now I have more time to devote to my bonsai I am trying to decide what to do . I have a someir idea re the branches,suggestions welcome--  but  the nebari is a problem.the trunk is about 4 cm diameter and there are these two roots on either side quite a way up. Should I cut them off or not?
By the way Is it just me or do Hornbeams have a habit of new growth turning in on itself toward the trunk?
Hornbeam suggestions please Hornbe10
Hornbeam suggestions please Hornbe13
Michael Cooper
Michael Cooper

Back to top Go down

Hornbeam suggestions please Empty Re: Hornbeam suggestions please

Post  JimLewis Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:17 pm

Next time you repot, bury those roots. I'd get rid of that huge top root if you can.

I think I'd also shorten the tree -- maybe even by half -- choosing one of the branches to be wired up as a new leader. There's no taper or movement in that fairly straight trunk.

But the roots are your first focus.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Cooper Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:29 pm

Thank you Jim.
This is what it is like after I had already lowered quite a lot when repotting the roots were even higher then,so next time I will take it down further There were a lot of very sturdy roots that I cut off last time underneath in order  to lower it and was a bit cautious of being more drastic at the time.
I think I will take off at least one as you suggest and I had already wondered about a major trunk chop so now you have given me the confidence to do that. Should I leave the root and trunk chop till the winter though?
Michael Cooper
Michael Cooper

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:57 pm

If you took of a lot of rot, I'd leave it until early spring.

Good luck and have fun.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Cooper Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:35 pm

Thank you Jim for your help I will do that then.It was not a lot of rot the roots they were blooming gurt great thick things which is why I had such trouble getting it lower in the pot then.
A task and tree to look forward to with luck.
Cheers
Michael Cooper
Michael Cooper

Back to top Go down

Post  JudyB Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:30 pm

If I have a large root that I fear to take off all at once, I cut halfway thru it the first year, then the rest of the way the next year.

JudyB

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Cooper Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:49 pm

Thank you Judy that is what I had in mind for the below ground roots, it is those two roots higher up the trunk ones I have to deal with now.
Michael Cooper
Michael Cooper

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:47 pm

JudyB wrote:If I have a large root that I fear to take off all at once, I cut halfway thru it the first year, then the rest of the way the next year.  

Unless you left a large gap in the cut parts, I doubt this will last as a cut root. IMO, it is better to cut it all at once.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:47 am

Hi Michael

Your question was....
By the way Is it just me or do Hornbeams have a habit of new growth turning in on itself toward the trunk?

Due to the way the new growth grow, does it often get caught, by the growth already there....it is a good idea to run your hand through the crown and branches, just like you do through your hair, it will solve some of the problem...when this is done, can you carefully place the new branches better, and much later vire.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:52 am

Yvonne Graubaek wrote:Hi Michael

Your question was....

Due to the way the new growth grow, does it often get caught, by the growth already there....it is a good idea to run your hand through the crown and branches, just like you do through your hair, it will solve some of the problem...when this is done, can you carefully place the new branches better, and much later vire.

Kind regards Yvonne
Good advice.
Yes I remember when I could "run my hand through my hair"  scratch 
Jeremy
Jeremy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:03 pm

He-he-he  Very Happy 

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content