Can anyone help identify this tree?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Can anyone help identify this tree?

Post  Oleg6 on Fri May 30, 2014 5:48 pm

Hi can anyone help put a name to this tree? It was a gift, collected in Tobermory Ontario Canada about 12- 15 yrs ago. It lies at the end of a spit of land between Lake Huron & Georgian Bay. Also if you could tell me anything you know about it as a tree and as a Bonsai. I can tell you it's very hardy and backbuds well.
Thanks

Oleg6

Back to top Go down

Re: Can anyone help identify this tree?

Post  Auballagh on Fri May 30, 2014 9:40 pm

Your tree looks a lot like Juniperus virginiana, the Eastern Red Cedar. Do a search on this site with those words as search terms, and you'll find out a lot about this species and it's suitability as Bonsai. These are a course, rangy species and it doesn't help that they grow and develop slowly.
On the plus side however, they're pretty hard to kill.
I currently have one I have been working with since 2009. I estimate that in 7 to probably 10 more years of development, it may turn out to be a fairly decent tree.  Cool 

Auballagh

Back to top Go down

Post  Oleg6 on Fri May 30, 2014 11:21 pm

Thanks a lot, that explains why I couldn't find any info I never would have clicked on cedar but was thinking of juniper as I found nothing else in Ontario tree guides and atlases. I have just red Jim Lewis's post on identifying trees and took some more pictures so I will post them anyway.  Funny it's call a red cedar because it turns a strong rust colour in wet years (over watered) but as you said it doesn't hurt it any.  Very sharp needles and grey flakey bark very much a juniper.  I like the rangy quality. Thanks again Auballagh.

Oleg6

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis on Sat May 31, 2014 12:57 pm

I was writing to say J. virginina last night when my I-net suddenly vanished. Glad someone else did.

They are, generally speaking, OK as bonsai, but very slow to develop -- especially at such a stage of youthfulness as this one seems to be. I have a few under development and 1 or 2 actually seem to be showing a bit of promise.

Jim Lewis - lewisjk@windstream.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  beer city snake on Sat May 31, 2014 2:06 pm

i would also like to toss out a serendipitous thanks !!!
i won a bucket full of these last year at a show, but couldnt quite nail down what they were.

i say serendipity because today's plan was to get them out of the nursery pot and start a forest planting...
and now i can put a name to them  Smile 

AAC Original Milwaukee Wi. Chapter - North America

By the way, the name is Kevin
link to ARBOR ARTS COLLECTIVE BLOG

beer city snake

Back to top Go down

Help with Identifying

Post  bonsaisr on Sat May 31, 2014 3:01 pm

Please do not grow J. virginiana in the ground. It is the alternate host of Cedar-apple rust, a scourge of apples & crabapples.
Iris

bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  Oleg6 on Sat May 31, 2014 4:14 pm

Thank you Iris! I lost one juniper to apple rust two years ago and another one of the same type (Chinese I think) has it now. It is isolated and in the house, I have taken off the galls with a toothbrush sprayed it and got rid of the remaining lesions with my fingernail, as I understand it I have to wait out this season and it will pass is that right? I have sprayed a cedar and 2 San Jose junipers with Monterey Fungi Fighter as a preventative step but didn't think to do the same with this one, which I will now. The 2 San Jose Junipers didn't get it either time though and I have a large Juniper in the back yard with scale but no rust.

Oleg6

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 2:51 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum