Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Juniper - before and after

+3
yamasuri
Tona
dorothy7774
7 posters

Go down

Juniper - before and after Empty Juniper - before and after

Post  dorothy7774 Sun May 18, 2014 2:45 am

Parsoni juniper, before and after:

Juniper - before and after Parson10

Juniper - before and after Parson11

Juniper - before and after Parson12

Juniper - before and after Parson13

Juniper - before and after Parson14

Juniper - before and after Parson16

Best,
Dorothy
dorothy7774
dorothy7774

Back to top Go down

Juniper - before and after Empty Re: Juniper - before and after

Post  Tona Sun May 18, 2014 2:51 am

Nice progression Dorothy!!
Tona
Tona
Tona

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun May 18, 2014 3:02 am

Nice Dorothy.

I like the third picture and picture for front.

regards,
jun  Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  dorothy7774 Sun May 18, 2014 3:25 am

Tona wrote:Nice progression Dorothy!!
Tona

Thank you Tona.

Best,
Dorothy
dorothy7774
dorothy7774

Back to top Go down

Post  dorothy7774 Sun May 18, 2014 3:33 am

jun wrote:Nice Dorothy.

I like the third picture and picture for front.

regards,
jun  Smile

June, thanks, that was one way to go. It would have eliminated the smaller tree. The problem with this tree was to find a way to combine both parts. Each tree had the opposite side/ or side view as possible front. Getting rid of the smaller tree would have been easy. However, I was sentimental with it being inspired by the "baby elephant".. clown 

Juniper - before and after Elepha10

Also, the tree will be tilted more to the left during the next repotting(s).

Best,
Dorothy  elephant
dorothy7774
dorothy7774

Back to top Go down

Post  yamasuri Sun May 18, 2014 10:07 am

Tree with strong potential. Very nice styling. You getting there Dorothy. Keep up good work.
yamasuri
yamasuri

Back to top Go down

Post  Vance Wood Sun May 18, 2014 12:52 pm

I like the progression.  How many seasons are involved in this display?  I notice the different pot and the density of the foliage mass, and the conclusion that this did not happen in an afternoon of working on the tree with wire and scissors.  I am not as familiar with the species as I should be after looking at the results you have achieved with it. Any suggestions as to how to care for them?

I am also impressed with the amount of time it must have taken to trim out all of those little branch ends the way you have done, it shows me I still need to do more with my Junis.
Vance Wood
Vance Wood

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Sun May 18, 2014 1:49 pm

Simply lovely bonsai! The second branch is definitely a keeper; it completes the story! Nice job!
Todd
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  dorothy7774 Sun May 18, 2014 10:50 pm

yamasuri wrote:Tree with strong potential. Very nice styling. You getting there Dorothy. Keep up good work.

Thanks "yamasuri".

Best,
Dorothy
dorothy7774
dorothy7774

Back to top Go down

Post  dorothy7774 Sun May 18, 2014 11:07 pm

Vance Wood wrote:I like the progression.  How many seasons are involved in this display?  I notice the different pot and the density of the foliage mass, and the conclusion that this did not happen in an afternoon of working on the tree with wire and scissors.  I am not as familiar with the species as I should be after looking at the results you have achieved with it.  Any suggestions as to how to care for them?

I am also impressed with the amount of time it must have taken to trim out all of those little branch ends the way you have done, it shows me I still need to do more with my Junis.

Vance, thanks for your comment. Between the "before" and "after" we have 1 year. During that year I was able to style and to maintain mature foliage. The tree had been transplanted some years prior to that. Parsoni junipers are pretty easy, if you know how to approach them. They do extremely well here in SW Florida. Much better than any other juniper - besides Torulosa perhaps. They also grow very easy from cuttings and can easily be kept from getting spider mites.

Care is like any other of my junipers, good soil, good food, plenty of water. Using my soil I can water frequently, which ensures good fertilization and soil maintenance.

Trimming out the ends is a clue to maintain mature foliage and to redirect vigor to the side branches. I do this on all of my trees, not just junipers.
Older Parsoni junipers are tricky after collecting. The critical time is the second repotting into bonsai soil. From that time on, I usually wait 2 - 3 (or 5 )years before working on them. That goes for all of my collected trees. Cleaning out and eliminating branches over time is okay, but no major bending or wiring. Remember, we do not have any winter here. The junipers here are never as vigorous as up North.

Best,
Dorothy
dorothy7774
dorothy7774

Back to top Go down

Post  dorothy7774 Sun May 18, 2014 11:09 pm

Todd Ellis wrote:Simply lovely bonsai! The second branch is definitely a keeper; it completes the story! Nice job!
Todd

Thank you, Todd.

Best,
Dorothy
dorothy7774
dorothy7774

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Sun May 18, 2014 11:59 pm

dorothy7774 wrote:The problem with this tree was to find a way to combine both parts. Each tree had the opposite side/ or side view as possible front. Getting rid of the smaller tree would have been easy. However, I was sentimental with it being inspired by the "baby elephant".. clown 

Juniper - before and after Elepha10

Also, the tree will be tilted more to the left during the next repotting(s).

Best,
Dorothy  elephant

being inspired by the baby elephant just knocks me out !  Very Happy 
incredible for 1 years time...

kevin
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  arihato Mon May 19, 2014 12:23 am

I like the tree and the lower branch gives it character.
I am struggling though with the opposite direction the two trunks have. The opening in the canopy on the right suggests that the trunk goes all the way to the right, this is strengthened by the fact that the top of the canopy is on the right side of the Jin. The Jin is going in the 'good' direction. Might I suggest that if the top of the canopy is brought to the left of the Jin and if the window on the branch is closed and a window on the trunk were to be opened that the two trunks would be more in harmony
arihato
arihato

Back to top Go down

Post  dorothy7774 Tue May 20, 2014 2:35 am

arihato wrote:I like the tree and the lower branch gives it character.
I am struggling though with the opposite direction the two trunks have. The opening in the canopy on the right suggests that the trunk goes all the way to the right, this is strengthened by the fact that the top of the canopy is on the right side of the Jin. The Jin is going in the 'good' direction. Might I suggest that if the top of the canopy is brought to the left of the Jin and if the window on the branch is closed and a window on the trunk were to be opened that the two trunks would be more in harmony

Thank you for your comment "arihato". As a matter of fact, the first branch on the right came all the way over from the left. I "borrowed" it for the momentary design. Once the tree is tilted and the apex is moved towards the left, the borrowed branch will go back and create a "window", as you call it. The smaller "tree" will need to be rearranged too. Soon.

Best,
Dorothy
dorothy7774
dorothy7774

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down