Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dwarf English Boxwood

3 posters

Go down

Dwarf English Boxwood Empty Dwarf English Boxwood

Post  ozmorf Sat May 10, 2014 12:43 am

I bought a dwarf english boxwood plant today (I'm planning on turning it into a bonsai), and I was wondering,

1. What time of year should I give it its initial trim
2. How much foliage should I cut off when I do trim it
3. Other general boxwood care tips

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by ozmorf on Sat May 10, 2014 5:05 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I made a mistake in the plant identification)

ozmorf

Back to top Go down

Dwarf English Boxwood Empty Re: Dwarf English Boxwood

Post  JimLewis Sat May 10, 2014 12:58 pm

‘Green Velvet’ is a broad-mounded, compact form (B. sempervirens x B. microphylla var. koreana) of boxwood that will mature to 2-4’ tall and as wide. The one you have is probably a lump of green. Boxwood are tough and versitile, but large ones are pretty much locked into their form. How large is yours? What you do with it depends on a lot of things. Can you give us a picture, please?
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Dwarf English Boxwood Empty Pictures

Post  ozmorf Sat May 10, 2014 5:14 pm

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B8bSVIKhxLK0ZDFqNXVoZkM1MTQ/edit

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B8bSVIKhxLK0RDcyNFBBWjBUajg/edit

Hopefully these links will work.

BTW, I misidentified the tag on the plant, it is a dwarf english, not green velvet boxwood. Sorry about the mistake.

ozmorf

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sat May 10, 2014 7:15 pm

BTW, I misidentified the tag on the plant, it is a dwarf english, not green velvet boxwood. Sorry about the mistake.

Well, gee whiz . . . and all that work I went to . . . <g>

Unless you are planning on a mame (mini) bonsai (under 4 inches), this plant appears to be a bit too small for any real bonsai work.  I think I'd find a pot that is half as deep as this one, and twice the diameter, and transplant this -- bare root -- into it filled with bonsai soil.  Then I'd simply let it grow for 2-3 years.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  ozmorf Sat May 10, 2014 7:49 pm

What time of year should I transplant it? I've killed plants before simply by not timing pruning and/or transplanting correctly, and I would hate to do it again.

I've noticed that boxwood tends to grow dense foliage, and can crowd out the leaves in the center, making them die. Should I trim the boxwood this year to prevent this problem, or just let the shrub grow?

Thank you for taking the time to answer my previous question on green velvet. If I ever get one, I'll know exactly what to do. :-)

ozmorf

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey Sat May 10, 2014 8:09 pm

If you are keen to turn this one into a small bonsai, you can do any trimming now. They are quite forgiving, as long as you leave some leaves on. I would try any interesting bits that you cut off as cuttings to try making new plants. Trim off lower leaves and put them into sharp sandy compost in shade.

I would leave repotting it until next spring. That gives you a chance to think about whether it needs time in a growing on box, or in the ground to thicken and also what sort of pot will suit the type of tree that you are planning.
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down