Japanese imports into the UK

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Japanese imports into the UK

Post  Stephen_S on Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:54 am

I haven't bought any new trees for several years. This is because when the import ban came into force several years ago, the quality of trees seemed to plumit, and to be honest, I think I lost a bit of interest.

However, now I'm seeing more and more retailers describing their trees as Japanese imports. So my question is,  What is the situation regarding Japanese imports into the UK? Have they resumed, or were trees that are advertised as being imported from Japan, done so before the ban came into force?.

Any help with this issue would be much appreciated.

Last edited by Stephen_S on Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

Stephen_S

Back to top Go down

Re: Japanese imports into the UK

Post  fiona on Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:59 pm

There are still a handful of traders importing trees from Japan and these include Ken at Windybank and Dougie at Wattston. The "ban" was more of a restriction than an outright cessation - mostly because it increased the number of hoops importers had to jump through re quarantine and testing etc, and that all put additional costs that made importing a bit shaky regarding gettng your money back.

It is very likely that the trees you are seeing advertised are indeed imports. if you are in any doubt, those trees should have visible import tags on them.

my website

fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Stephen_S on Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:18 pm

Thanks for that Fiona. Not long before the the restrictions were introduced, I bought a Japanese Beech off Dougie for £185, today it would cost several hundreds of pounds.

Stephen_S

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona on Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:38 pm

For heaven's sake don't tell him that.  Wink 

my website

fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 2:16 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down