Best place to get seeds/cuttings in UK

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Best place to get seeds/cuttings in UK

Post  Bonsai Brian on Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:11 am

I am new to the bonsai hobby and have very quickly become addicted , I wonder if anyone could point me in the best direction to buy seeds or cuttings that I could cultivate. I am in the UK , thanks Smile

Bonsai Brian

Back to top Go down

Re: Best place to get seeds/cuttings in UK

Post  fiona on Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:53 am

I assume you have already worked out that seeds and cuttings while rewarding are also the slowest way of doing bonsai. If you want to start from seed, then then easiest thing to do is buy from somewhere like Chiltern Seeds. They offer a range of tree seeds including larch which is probably the easiest to grow in our area. Avoid seeds that advertise themselves as "bonsai mix": there is nothing special about the trees we use to make bonsai and these packets are just a load of "normal" seeds. The major downside of a packet of mixed seeds is that unless you are good at identifying trees from their seedlings, then you will have little idea what it is you are actually growing for quite some time. Another tree that does quite well from seed in our climate is Pinus thunbergii. But again remember that you are talking a good five years before you can actually start to do anything with these.

And also if you don't already know it, you are a handful of miles away from Scotland's only real bonsai nursery up at Wattston off the M80. Dougie has a range of trees for sale, including starter material. There is also an excellent club there which meets on the first Sunday of each month. You really couldn't beat this group for getting yourself up the learning curve very quickly. Maybe see you there one Sunday?

my website

fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Bonsai Brian on Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:09 am

Hi Fiona , thank you very much for your reply. It was actually meeting Dougie and visiting his place that sparked my interest in Bonsai. I keep ornamental freshwater shrimp and one of the best substrates for shrimp tank is Akadama. I visited Dougie to get some Akadama and after spending the afternoon at his place and seeing some of the incredible trees he has I became instantly hooked !!

I was then fortunate enough to get the chance to purchase 8 starter trees, a number of pots and a collection of tools from a gentleman who was downsizing his collection , I got a juniper , chineese elm, a couple of hornbeam , a ligustrum , a beech and some boxwood. Some were already wired and some needing worked on.

I also have a greenhouse and was hoping to make use of the space to begin cultivating some cuttings and growing seeds just as a side project really.

I'll definitely see you at Dougies one Sunday soon , just recovering from a particularly nasty bout of shingles before I can get out and about.

Thanks again

Brian

Bonsai Brian

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 8:19 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum