Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

my Cedrus Libani

2 posters

Go down

my Cedrus Libani Empty my Cedrus Libani

Post  nabil Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:29 am

Hi guys

This is my first post to this forum, and i hope you can forgive my poor experience in this field.

i just got two Cedrus Libani around 8 years old in big pot with very compact heavy soil like cement.

i washed the root carefully with running water last week , until i got the root ball clear. i re-potted them in smaller pot with high quality peat moss so they can be rest for future root pruning , in the coming two years to be put in bonsai pot..

i need your suggestions of what to keep and what to cut to start develop taper. and branch style.
this is my first one. please feel free to suggest

my first tree

my Cedrus Libani 1-111

my second tree:
my Cedrus Libani 2-510

my Cedrus Libani 2-210

my Cedrus Libani 2-410

Last edited by nabil on Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:30 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added notification upon reply :))

nabil

Back to top Go down

my Cedrus Libani Empty Re: my Cedrus Libani

Post  Neli Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:07 am

Try and bend the primary branches downwards ones the tree has recovered, and try to bring the foliage closer to the trunk by trimming ...then take pictures and decide which way to go. No need to chop it not.
Cedrus is hard to back bud on older wood.
Neli
Neli

Back to top Go down

Post  nabil Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:17 pm

Neli wrote:Try and bend the primary branches downwards ones the tree has recovered, and try to bring the foliage closer to the trunk by trimming ...then take pictures and decide which way to go. No need to chop it not.
Cedrus is hard to back bud on older wood.

you mean trimming all branches even in the top? to forward energy to low branches ?

nabil

Back to top Go down

Post  Neli Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:57 pm

No so much about balancing energy, more of gaining momentum to force the tree to back bud. First of all to make it grow strong and then cut back the branches at the right time to make it back bud. Beginning of spring can be a good time, but before that make the tree grow...fertilize...and then cut back everywhere at the same time.
Remember you must never cut back a branch without leaving healthy foliage at the end.
Neli
Neli

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down