Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

air layer cedar

2 posters

Go down

air layer cedar Empty air layer cedar

Post  nabil Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:59 am

as far as i know, cedar's won't air-layered

nabil

Back to top Go down

air layer cedar Empty Re: air layer cedar

Post  RKatzin Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:12 pm

Hi nabil, As far as I know any tree can be layered. Some you have to use different techniques besides ring barking. Sometimes a bridge is left to carry energy to the top instead of completely removing the bark. Some trees are done with a wire tourniquet.
RKatzin
RKatzin

Back to top Go down

Post  nabil Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:04 pm

RKatzin wrote:Hi nabil, As far as I know any tree can be layered. Some you have to use different techniques besides ring barking. Sometimes a bridge is left to carry energy to the top instead of completely removing the bark. Some trees are done with a wire tourniquet.

you mean bridge to carry nutrition down (not up) right?

but i i read cedars as very slow growers needs year or more to be air layered , right?

nabil

Back to top Go down

Post  RKatzin Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:04 pm

Yes, you are correct, the flow back is restricted by the ringbark. I have not done any myself, but have a couple of cedar I want to try so I'm studying up on the subject. The tourniquet is recommended for cedars. It is alright if they take more than one year to develop. You can add an extra layer of insulation over the winter.
RKatzin
RKatzin

Back to top Go down

Post  nabil Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:25 am

RKatzin wrote:Yes, you are correct, the flow back is restricted by the ringbark. I have not done any myself, but have a couple of cedar I want to try so I'm studying up on the subject. The tourniquet is recommended for cedars. It is alright if they take more than one year to develop. You can add an extra layer of insulation over the winter.

keep us posted on your cedars Smile

nabil

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:45 am

Hi Nabil, this is a thread I posted about a Cedar airlayer I did a couple of years ago. https://ibonsaiclub.forumotion.com/t12676-cedrus-deodar-shohin-layer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down