Hello from Hamilton

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hello from Hamilton

Post  knight_yyz on Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:31 am

Hi Folks,  I'm having a hard time trying to find a bonsai starter.  I would really love to have a japanese maple,  (acer dissectum atropurpureum bonsai)  

Can anyone point me in the right direction to find one to start out with?  I have a few seeds form an almost full grown Japanese Waterfall Maple, but I know it will take about 5 years for them to get to the point where I can use them.  In the mean time I would like to find a 10-14" established bonsai or starter bonsai.

I'm in Hamilton Ontario Canada, so anything on the west end of the GTA, Mississauga/Oakville etc would work for me.  

I like both of the samples below but the top one would be my number one choice

Thanks!!

knight_yyz

Back to top Go down

Re: Hello from Hamilton

Post  JimLewis on Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:44 pm

It may be too cold for dissectum-type maples in Ontario.

Moving to Questions.

Jim Lewis - lewisjk@windstream.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  EpicusMaximus on Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:59 pm

Since you are new (I am also - only 2 winters under my belt) but in relatively the same climate zone, I would suggest finding some nice Amur Maples at your local nurseries (Amur maple fire is really nice in the autumn).

They grow fast, are resilient, zoned well for our winters and tough trees that can take a heavy cutback and root pruning. I've found they start at around $20 depending on their size.

Last year was my first time purchasing some. I cut both back pretty hard when the buds were opening and/or when the leaves were small. I also removed 30-50% of the roots and replanted in sifted turface and pine bark mulch mix.

Your only challenge might be finding one with a single trunk. Most of them have multiple trunks, but with some good pruning you can figure it out.

Anyway, check them out, they come in all sizes.

EpicusMaximus

Back to top Go down

Post  knight_yyz on Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:04 pm

Well it seems that 99% of bonsais available near me are either chinese elms or junipers. I want something different. I don't think there is a bonsai maple of any species within the province of Ontario

knight_yyz

Back to top Go down

Post  elroy on Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:55 am

Check out lakeshorebonsai.com He just got one and has figured out how to overwinter it.

Elroy

elroy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:22 am

Give Kim's Nature a call. They had a 100 or so at the end last summer, along with an acre of other never seen before trees.

http://www.kimsnature.ca/

Back to top Go down

Post  knight_yyz on Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:32 am

No maples there either

knight_yyz

Back to top Go down

Post  knight_yyz on Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:37 am

Lakeshore website shows no trees for sale but I emailed him any way

knight_yyz

Back to top Go down

Its not too cold

Post  Jim McIntyre on Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:15 am

It is not to cold for dissectum type Japanese Maples in Ontario. Hamilton is in Usda 6b and zone areas are Usda 7a .

http://www.plantmaps.com/interactive-canada-hardiness-gardening-zone-map.php

Jim McIntyre

Back to top Go down

Post  knight_yyz on Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:20 am

Ok,  so I found someone who is willing to send me a couple of pre bonsai trees.  One is a waterfall the other is a Shishigashira.

I'm not expecting to be spoon fed,  but can someone point me in the right direction on how to trunk chop these guys? Any good books or articles? I've read so much the last few weeks my brain is starting to hurt.

BTY here is what I should be receiving shortly.

knight_yyz

Back to top Go down

Post  elroy on Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:09 pm

You should connect with a local club

http://www.bonsaisocietyatrbg.com

Elroy

elroy

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan on Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:31 pm

I wouldn't chop those guys for a while. Let them grow wild and thicken up first.

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  knight_yyz on Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:45 pm

ok, how thick?

knight_yyz

Back to top Go down

Post  dave on Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:15 pm

My local nursery every spring has a discount section of trees and shrubs that haven't overwintered well.I have gotten some large trees for twenty dollars.The most I paid was $30 for a 4 ft beech tree.IT really doesn't matter if the existing folliage isn't very nice if your going to chop it anyway.Way better starting with big tree than a little spindly one.

This maple has nice nebari start already and cost $20 cnd in discount area.I just chopped it down to about a foot tall.

dave

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 6:20 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum