carving articles

View previous topic View next topic Go down

carving articles

Post  waway on Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:56 am

Hi everyone. Good day.

I'm currently practicing on carving deadwood on my bonsai and I'm searching the net for any articles relating to this but I haven't found any that would give me at least basic step by step guide and how to use hand tools as I don't have any experience with using the different kinds of chisels. Does anyone know where to look for a nice carving guide?

Thanks.

Warren

waway

Back to top Go down

Re: carving articles

Post  dorothy7774 on Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:16 am

Warren,

here is what I did when I started to work on deadwood. I used all my chisels and hand carving tools on an
ordinary piece of wood first and observed what the individual tools would accomplish. Then I took photographs
of trees in nature, especially closeups of the weathered and bug worked deadwood areas.
Eventually I was able to try to copy what I saw, more or less..( affraid )
It is a good decision to use hand carving tools and not power tools when learning how to carve. You can work
at your pace and don't have to be afraid to mess up the wood.

-dorothy

dorothy7774

Back to top Go down

Post  waway on Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:21 pm

dorothy7774 wrote:Warren,

here is what I did when I started to work on deadwood. I used all my chisels and hand carving tools on an
ordinary piece of wood first and observed what the individual tools would accomplish. Then I took photographs
of trees in nature, especially closeups of the weathered and bug worked deadwood areas.
Eventually I was able to try to copy what I saw, more or less..( affraid )
It is a good decision to use hand carving tools and not power tools when learning how to carve. You can work
at your pace and don't have to be afraid to mess up the wood.

-dorothy

Hi Dorothy, I am using hand tools as of the moment for practice as I've got some constraints (financial Embarassed ). Those power tools are a bit way off of my "bonsai budget", maybe this coming Christmas I hope I can receive this as a gift bounce from my better half (hope she can read this Wink ). But I like things are coming up with my chisels practice, nice mimic more or less the abstract design of a deadwood carved by nature but a little time consuming on the clearing/cleaning side w/o those rotary tools Smile

Thank you.

Warren

waway

Back to top Go down

Post  bobby little on Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:43 pm

Dunno if people outside uk and germany are aware of Lidl - it's budget supermarket (cracking cheap imported beer and german sausage - down fiona, down). Bizarrely, they sell totally incongruent stuff sometimes and I picked up a poor man's dremel multi tool a few months back for less than £20. Tried it out yesterday on a couple of bits of unsightly wood on a couple of trees and it was well, frankly CRAP!! Don't buy cheap poop. That is all.

bobby little

Back to top Go down

Post  waway on Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:42 am

bobby little wrote:Dunno if people outside uk and germany are aware of Lidl - it's budget supermarket (cracking cheap imported beer and german sausage - down fiona, down). Bizarrely, they sell totally incongruent stuff sometimes and I picked up a poor man's dremel multi tool a few months back for less than £20. Tried it out yesterday on a couple of bits of unsightly wood on a couple of trees and it was well, frankly CRAP!! Don't buy cheap poop. That is all.

Yeah I totally agree with you Bobby. Those bargain gadgets especially electronics and power tools almost always are useless and if it works it always comes with a risk. Thank you for your concern. Hope I can save for a brand new one.

Warren

waway

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael T on Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:05 pm

http://sidiao.myweb.hinet.net/index_e.htm

Click the "tools" link.

and "class" link.

and "gallery" link

Michael T

Back to top Go down