Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

tree identification

+9
arihato
fiona
JimLewis
dave
David Brunner
Sam Ogranaja
Vance Wood
t tree
lulo
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

tree identification - Page 2 Empty Buxus

Post  lennard Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:54 pm

lulo wrote:

[/url]=https://servimg.com/view/18726119/51]tree identification - Page 2 20140357[/url]

Definitely a Buxus.

The dry bracts where the new twig started to grow and the square/not round young twigs are a give away.

There is a lot of variety when it comes to leaf shape - even within the same species.

Lennard
lennard
lennard

Back to top Go down

tree identification - Page 2 Empty Re: tree identification

Post  dave Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:44 pm

JimLewis wrote:I think that sometimes, when you find something with small leaves, you might collect even before you are certain of its species.  After all, beginning care for a collected evergreen is pretty much the same; it only might begin to differ when you start trying to shape and control the tree.  

That said, I went back to my books, and I still doubt that it is a boxwood -- though B. semipervirens does grow wild in your area (and, by the way, I kind of envy the ability to find a WILD boxwood; they're nonexistent where I live).  Still, boxwood leaves -- all species for which I have leaf illustrations (including semipervirens) -- at least have flattened tips, and many have indentations on the end.

Privet (Ligustrum) may be the solution.

Yes I have a hard time with 3 meter tall boxwoods growing wild on a hillside in albania.This is my biggest stumbling block with buxus.Much easier for me to imagine privet.The good news is Lulo you will find out for sure when it flowers.So not to worry just keep it alive.Either way you are going to have the potential for a large beautiful specimen.
dave
dave

Back to top Go down

Post  lulo Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:17 pm

Thank you all for your suggestions and opinions. I will look after to keep alive this tree and some others that have collected in the same time .
In the future days will show some of them.

lulo

Back to top Go down

Post  Vance Wood Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:47 pm

dave wrote:
JimLewis wrote:I think that sometimes, when you find something with small leaves, you might collect even before you are certain of its species.  After all, beginning care for a collected evergreen is pretty much the same; it only might begin to differ when you start trying to shape and control the tree.  

That said, I went back to my books, and I still doubt that it is a boxwood -- though B. semipervirens does grow wild in your area (and, by the way, I kind of envy the ability to find a WILD boxwood; they're nonexistent where I live).  Still, boxwood leaves -- all species for which I have leaf illustrations (including semipervirens) -- at least have flattened tips, and many have indentations on the end.

Privet (Ligustrum) may be the solution.

Yes I have a hard time with 3 meter tall boxwoods growing wild on a hillside in albania.This is my biggest stumbling block with buxus.Much easier for me to imagine privet.The good news is Lulo you will find out for sure when it flowers.So not to worry just keep it alive.Either way you are going to have the potential for a large beautiful specimen.

The recent photos of this tree confirm to me that this is without even a little doubt a privet. This looks just like the growth I have to pick up buckets worth twice a year as I shear my side of a neighbors Privet hedge. When it comes to having to do this this summer I will post some photos and prove it.
Vance Wood
Vance Wood

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:56 pm

yes... buxus
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  Eric G. Quins Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:22 am

Hi! it looks to me that your tree is a lemon or a variety that belong to lemon or citrus specie. One thing for sure if these does have the lemon scent then it is a lemon. It looks the same with the variety that used to grow in coastal areas which I have recently collected.

Eric G. Quins

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:53 pm

I don't think so.

BTW, Eric, please amend your profile to ID your general location. All you have there is your name. Thanks.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2