Pavel Slovak in Wales!!!

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Pavel Slovak in Wales!!!

Post  Vance Wood on Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:43 pm

jacquiroo wrote:Thank you Chris for an absolutely wonderful weekend. I feel privileged to be part of such a talented club. The talent and experience from Pavel is amazing an he never stopped all weekend. I am sure everyone gained something from the workshop my head is still buzzing from all the techniques that was demonstrated and all the trees that were brought in, also a big thankyou to Julie as she ran around after us all weekend. Oh and could you get some wire in for Sunday I seem to have run out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reading this description of how the weekend went reveals one important thing about Pavel and why he is so talented. HARD WORK! he never stopped all weekend.

Vance Wood
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Pavel Slovak in Wales!!!

Post  chris on Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:47 am

Hi Jackie
Thanks for the reply

Regards Chris

chris
Member


Back to top Go down

pavel slovak

Post  lena.stares on Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:33 pm

well done chris what a faboulus weekend ive just come down to earth my colds better maybe i will meet up with John pitt again when jacqui and i hit bournmouth ha ha found my last husband there !!!!!! : bounce 

lena.stares
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Pavel Slovak in Wales!!!

Post  Vance Wood on Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:24 pm

Any one have a finished picture of that large Mugo Pine?  The kind of work Pavel does with that material is near miraculous.

Vance Wood
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Pavel Slovak in Wales!!!

Post  chris on Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:08 am

Hi Vance
The big pine was a lodgpole, it is Jason's tree Pavel gave a very in depth way forward with the tree , the branches that were to be taken of in May were marked and Pavel produced a fantastic drawing for the finished image, maybe Jason can post it.
This is a very big tree!

Regards Chris

chris
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Pavel Slovak in Wales!!!

Post  Vance Wood on Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:47 am

chris wrote:Hi Vance
The big pine was a lodgpole, it is Jason's tree Pavel gave a very in depth way forward with the tree , the branches that were to be taken of in May were marked and Pavel produced a fantastic drawing for the finished image, maybe Jason can post it.
This is a very big tree!

Regards Chris  

Thank You. It didn't even come to mind that this tree could be a Lodge Pole Pine, it looked so much like the Mugos he is known to work on.

Vance Wood
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Pavel Slovak in Wales!!!

Post  Vance Wood on Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:50 am

Where did this event take place?  I am thinking in my mind that it was somewhere in Europe but the presence of the Lodge Pole Pine has me asking the question.  That's kind of a peculiar tree to see at an European workshop. I am thinking that it took place in Wales because of Chris' evolvement with organizing the event.

If you consider Wales as not being part of Europe and you are offended because I used that general term to designate where this event took place, then I beg your pardon. The fact remains; it is a real long way East to swim if you start in New York. Which does bring up the question concerning the Lodge Pole Pine. I have loved this tree since I first started doing bonsai seriously in 1960 or there about, but I have not seen much of this tree since. I lived in California and we harvested our Lodge Poles from the mountains North and West of Sacramento in the old gold mine country.

Vance Wood
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Pavel Slovak in Wales!!!

Post  Mal B on Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:06 pm

Vance Wood wrote:Where did this event take place?  I am thinking in my mind that it was somewhere in Europe but the presence of the Lodge Pole Pine has me asking the question.  That's kind of a peculiar tree to see at an European workshop.  I am thinking that it took place in Wales because of Chris' evolvement with organizing the event.

If you consider Wales as not being part of Europe and you are offended because I used that general term to designate where this event took place, then I beg your pardon.  The fact remains;  it is a real long way East to swim if you start in New York.  Which does bring up the question concerning the Lodge Pole Pine.  I have loved this tree since I first started doing bonsai seriously in 1960 or there about, but I have not seen much of this tree since.  I lived in California and we harvested our Lodge Poles from the mountains North and West of Sacramento in the old gold mine country.

There are a lot more Lodge pole growing in Britain than there are Scot's pine Vance, thousands of acres in fact, a very common tree for these island's. I suspect the reason you find it unusual for it to be used as bonsai over here is down to one simple fact I'm afraid and that is, there's probably only about 0.005 % of work done in Britain ever posted on this forum and that's a very conservative estimate.

Thanks for posting Chris, look's like you lad's had a cracking weekend, I'm looking forward to getting the run down when I see Graham W tomorrow.


       Regards Mal

Mal B
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Pavel Slovak in Wales!!!

Post  chris on Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:38 pm

Hi Vance and hi Mal,
That's right Mal most if not all forestry planting of pine are Lodgepole .
Vance, it is not common to see this type of pine being used as bonsai on these shores because they are said to be hard to bud back, having said that this tree has bark to die for and I am sure if it can be done then Jason is the boy to do it.
Andy Smith is also working with a lodgepole at the moment and I hope to learn a lot from his work in the next few seasons
Andy's tree as he first had it

The tree after first styling



Regards Chris

chris
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Pavel Slovak in Wales!!!

Post  Vance Wood on Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:03 pm

Thank You so much. So you are telling me that Lodge Pole is being used as a forest restoration project even though Scots and Mugo are both native and probably more vigorous trees?

Vance Wood
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Pavel Slovak in Wales!!!

Post  chris on Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:20 pm

Hi Vance,
This is cash crop forestry planting not native woodland. Mugo is native to mainland Europe but not in the UK.
By the way I think I would be right to say we would prefer to work with Scot's before Lodgepole.

Any pics of those 1960's lodgepole Vance ?

Regards Chris

chris
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Pavel Slovak in Wales!!!

Post  Mal B on Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:54 pm

Plenty of Lodge pole being used for bonsai up here Chris and have been for quite a while, a lot slower than Scots pine and the needles take a little longer to come down in size. They are slow to back bud and wiring them slows them down even more so we are finding that you really need to grow those inner shoot's through pruning and pinching before you start styling the tree, they are also a little bit more temperamental than Scots when it comes to root work.


Regards Mal

Mal B
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Pavel Slovak in Wales!!!

Post  Vance Wood on Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:39 pm

chris wrote:Hi Vance,
This is cash crop forestry planting not native woodland. Mugo is native to mainland Europe but not in the UK.
By the way I think I would be right to say we would prefer to work with Scot's before Lodgepole.

Any pics of those 1960's lodgepole Vance ?

Regards Chris

I might be able at one point to show you a picture of some of the trees I had back then but you have to remember we are talking about cave art compared to the kind of photos we can simply shoot today. Unfortunately all of those trees died during the period I spent in the Army and the trees were under my mother's care---sort of.

Vance Wood
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Pavel Slovak in Wales!!!

Post  Sponsored content Today at 1:44 pm


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum