Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bonsai - why?

+38
mahbub
JimLewis
Kev Bailey
Craig Cowing
john jones
dorothy7774
kitdiot
little wing
Andrew Legg
theBalance
neveryonas
brett2013
my nellie
fiona
Todd Ellis
Brunsai
Kevin B.
Eric Group
David Willoughby
AlainK
juniper07
lennard
MichaelJ
Leo Schordje
Ebbtide
Orion
daudelus
ironhorse
Michael Cooper
amanluthra688
Khaimraj Seepersad
LittleJoe
arihato
Rick36
Walter Pall
Vance Wood
John Quinn
David Brunner
42 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Bonsai - why? - Page 3 Empty Re: Bonsai - why?

Post  David Brunner Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:12 am

Ah well - 11 years seems to be a good foundation on which to build! May your relationship and IBC continue to thrive in tandem!

David Brunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:21 am

Welcome back Craig, good to see you here :-)
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:36 pm

Wow! Good to hear from you, Craig! I'd lost all e-mail addresses, and even Nina told me (a while back) she's lost touch.

Yours is still the only wedding I've been at that featured a bonsai display. Remembered fondly. Say hi to Anita for me.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Craig Cowing Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:58 pm

JimLewis wrote:Wow!  Good to hear from you, Craig! I'd lost all e-mail addresses, and even Nina told me (a while back) she's lost touch.  

Yours is still the only wedding I've been at that featured a bonsai display.  Remembered fondly.  Say hi to Anita for me.  

Will do Jim. I'm glad to be back. I thought about getting back on last year but didn't get around to it.

Spring is coming in fits and starts to central New Hampshire. Today is mid 70'5 and very windy. Tomorrow 61 and rain, then the bottom drops out. Tues. night mid 20's, Wed. 39 or so during the day, then back to the 60's during the day. Here it is, April 14, and we don't have a single tree out of winter storage yet. Easter is next Sunday (20th) so not much will happen before then.

I've done a few displays since our wedding. I have two displays/demos in May. I'm getting nervous because we haven't been able to get the trees out, and they'll need some sprucing up.

The owners of New England Bonsai in Mass. always get a kick out of seeing us because we both do bonsai. Last Sat. we were there and I saw a number of reluctant spouses being dragged along by their spouse who had just discovered bonsai last week and were full of enthusiasm about getting their first trees.
Craig Cowing
Craig Cowing

Back to top Go down

Post  mahbub Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:21 am

I am a nubile, I am now 36 and i am sure i am pretty old to start bonsai at this age. i will be about 60 to grow a meaningful bonsai and i am not sure whether i will live that long. So, why?
May be it is the basic instinct that leads one to have a baby. The father assumes that his child will outlive him and continue a part of him in this world. I hope my bonsai will do the same. Like it did for the old masters of Zen and Shinto Temples in Japan. The bonsai carries the personality, the sensitivity of its grower. All those attributes of a grower is passed on to the next with the tree. I simply like the spirituality of the idea and i want to be a part of it.
mahbub
mahbub

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard S Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:36 pm

Mahbub

You are certainly not the only bonsai enthusiast to have wished that you had found this fantastic hobby/pastime/obsession earlier in life but don't beat yourself up over it. It may well take twenty years + to really develop a tree but the journey is all part of the fun and it's not like need to start with a seed.

You can derive a lot of satisfaction from watching your creations develop. After all, life's a journey not a destination, no bonsai is ever really finished anyway and you can grow with your trees etc, etc (and other clichés) Laughing

Above all else enjoy the process.

Regards

Richard
Richard S
Richard S

Back to top Go down

Post  mahbub Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:53 am

Thanks Richard.

Richard S wrote:
...but don't beat yourself up over it.  
Rest assured, i wont.

Richard S wrote:
Above all else enjoy the process.
I am wondering if i am enjoying a bit too much.

Richard S wrote:
(and other clichés) Laughing

I am reading a lot about bonsai. I think those cliches are priceless. Thanks for reminding me.
mahbub
mahbub

Back to top Go down

Post  M. Frary Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:09 am

I got into bonsai for the women.

M. Frary

Back to top Go down

Post  jimib Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:50 pm

I lost my job of 17 years because a new branch manager was hired in and he decided he wanted his own team. I really enjoyed the crew I had, the company and what I did......loved it in fact. I was in a pretty deep depression. One day my wife got me up out of the house and took me to the local conservatory. It was spring and the plants and flowers were starting to bloom. While there we came across their modest bonsai collection. From there I went into mad research mode and now I'm hooked.

jimib

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:08 pm

Mahbub,

speed up the growth process -

[1] Seedling in a colander in Bonsai soil.

[2] Use wire to shape to what you want. A tile under plant for surface roots.

[3] Place plant in colander in the ground --- grow.

[4] Dig up colander allow plant to recover fine feeder roots [ happens naturally in a
colander.

[ 5] Transfer to a larger container [ say styrofoam box for holding grapes for export or sale ]
Begin refinement training.

See how that long that takes to get the trunk diameter, you want.
Laters
Khaimraj

example - around 9 months or so. 8 mm.

Bonsai - why? - Page 3 Fus10
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:41 pm

M. Frary wrote: I got into bonsai for the women.

me too... well and the drugs and booze too. Twisted Evil Razz

Mahbub - I did not start until i was 50... I was given 2 tiny spekboom (portulacaria afra) cuttings and within 3 years i had developed them both into respectable and sizeable trees. They grow fast Cool

check it out:
https://ibonsaiclub.forumotion.com/t16171-portulacaria-afra-spekboom-2-1-2-year-progression?highlight=spekboom
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  juniper07 Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:37 pm

Bonsai - why?

In a nutshell, I love nature... trees, mountains, streams, lakes, oceans, rivers, birds, fish, animals, clouds, etc... just being outside is what I prefer more than my Android. Bonsai brings me a bit closer to those elements that I love.

I'm not quite sure why I love to collect expensive pots though.
juniper07
juniper07

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3