Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Collecting early march

3 posters

Go down

Collecting early march Empty Collecting early march

Post  giga Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:39 pm

I have like 5 trees ready to be pull from the ground, would it still be to early to pull these tomorrow or should I wait a couple more weeks?
giga
giga

Back to top Go down

Collecting early march Empty Re: Collecting early march

Post  JimLewis Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:44 pm

What kinds of trees?
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  giga Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:18 am

A hedge maple, some type of juniper,crepe myrtle, Ilex vomitoria, wild rose, and Pinus virginiana,. There another type of evergreen but I can't remember at the moment. I cut them back the last couple years and it time to finally dig them up. It's nice weather finally and I'm chomping at the bit to get collecting, even if it's my yard lol. I tired asking the city in my area if I could collect some other trees along the road that are amazing material due to being man handled but they said no  Sad
giga
giga

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:32 pm

giga wrote:A hedge maple, some type of juniper,crepe myrtle, Ilex vomitoria, wild rose, and Pinus virginiana,. There another type of evergreen but I can't remember at the moment.

I've never handled hedge maple, so can't advise.  The crape myrtle and juniper can be collected now, and the pine and (probably) the rose.  BUT, we have some more cold weather heading our way next week, so plan on giving them some protection for a while.  I usually bring early transplants indoors for a day or to when a late frost or freeze is expected.  (If you can, however, bite your tongue and wait.)  Based on my own experience, I'd hold off on the Youpon holly until you see buds that are just about to break open  

I'm chomping at the bit to get collecting, even if it's my yard lol. I tired asking the city in my area if I could collect some other trees along the road that are amazing material due to being man handled but they said no  :(

That may be just as well.  You can only take care for some many newly dug trees at once.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  appalachianOwl Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:17 pm

As Jim said, keep them protected when that cold comes back around and they should be fine. Collected wild rose this december (one of them if i dont dig would be tore apart when they develope sitiuations), kept it protected in garage and it is flourishing now. From my research, one can in Tennessee, get a permit for collection, i guess with them giving you the Nay-No, nothing like that where you are though?
appalachianOwl
appalachianOwl

Back to top Go down

Post  giga Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:44 pm

My plans changed for the day so I'll just wait till the end of March to collect them, and with talking with the foresters for the cities they just give you permission, sometime they even help out.
giga
giga

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down