I though I killed it

View previous topic View next topic Go down

I though I killed it

Post  LittleJoe on Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:00 am

Don't ask me why (I don't know), but I decided to fertilize my indoor tree's a in mid January. I used a combination of Pro-Tekt and Bonsai Pro 7-9-5 at the recommended 1 teaspoon per gallon. My Fukien Tea, and Tiger Bark where no worse for wear. My Black Olive on the other hand, dropped almost all it's leaves.

I though for sure I killed it. I flushed the soil as much as I could and waited. Thankfully, it came back strong.

I'm sure I had fertilized before with out this happening. I'm wondering why it reacted this way, this time. I am almost a complete beginner so I am trying to take this as a learning experience.

Did I do anything wrong?
Did I do anything right, or did I just get lucky?

I was told that keeping a Black Olive inside would be a challenge, but this seems to be holding it's own. It even has some moss growing on the soil.

Thanks for your input,
Joe

LittleJoe

Back to top Go down

Re: I though I killed it

Post  Stan Kengai on Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:02 am

You should never mix chemical fertilizers/nutrients, unless explicitly recommended by the manufacturer. I know for sure you cannot mix Pro-Tekt with others fertilizers because it creates undesirable salts and can possibly precipitate nutrients out of the solution, especially if you mix them undiluted. Did your mixture get lumpy or thick? Next time, there's no need for Pro-Tekt at this time of year, I'd wait until just before your plants go outside.

Stan Kengai

Back to top Go down

Post  Twisted Trees on Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:43 pm

Dude, you live in North Carolina. You have a good growing season, why are you trying to grow things in the winter? Let your stuff rest. Water it a little. Let a few leaves drop off. Just keep it alive. Wire it if you would like something to do. Stare at it. Enjoy it. But, jeesh, stop trying to make it do what it doesn't want to do. If you want a longer growing season move to the Philippines. It looks like the trees there add an inch an hour.

Twisted Trees

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona on Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:28 pm

His previous posts suggest he is growing these under lights.

my website

fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleJoe on Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:17 pm

fiona wrote:His previous posts suggest he is growing these under lights.

Thank you Fiona, that is correct.

by Stan Kengai on Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:02 pm

You should never mix chemical fertilizers/nutrients, unless explicitly recommended by the manufacturer. I know for sure you cannot mix Pro-Tekt with others fertilizers because it creates undesirable salts and can possibly precipitate nutrients out of the solution, especially if you mix them undiluted. Did your mixture get lumpy or thick? Next time, there's no need for Pro-Tekt at this time of year, I'd wait until just before your plants go outside.

Thanks Stan, I'll take that into consideration going forward. I had mixed both into a gallon of RO water.

LittleJoe

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 11:40 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum