Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Was gifted a rosemary bonsai - help me keep it alive in an office?

+3
JimLewis
LittleJoe
mmahoney
7 posters

Go down

Was gifted a rosemary bonsai - help me keep it alive in an office? Empty Was gifted a rosemary bonsai - help me keep it alive in an office?

Post  mmahoney Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:35 am

Hello all!

I was gifted a rosemary bonsai for Valentine's Day to keep in my office in Massachusetts, USA (zone 6a?). However, I've done some reading and realized that I may not have enough light. My cube gets no direct sun, and if I put it on my top shelf it would only get ambient light, as I'm one cube away from the window. I do have a CFL bulb in a table lamp and a tube fluorescent light under one of my shelves. I've read that people winter their plants under fluorescents, but as I hoped to keep this in my office, would it be ok if I kept it under fluorescents year-round?

The plant came with a tray and gravel to go under the pot to help with humidity control. Does it need any other special help? I'm not sure how old the plant is either; its about 11 inches tall. I'm not concerned with pruning or shaping it yet, just helping it thrive.

I really love plants and keep a summer garden, but I've never worked with a bonsai before, or with such unideal conditions. The tree also came from 1-800-Flowers (the pot seemed so cold when delivered!) so I'm worried its not in the best shape to begin with. The little information packet says not to be concerned if it drops its needles while it adjusts, but I do find that thought concerning and would like to prevent that if I could.

Thanks so much in advance, and my rosemary thanks you too!
Melissa

mmahoney

Back to top Go down

Was gifted a rosemary bonsai - help me keep it alive in an office? Empty Re: Was gifted a rosemary bonsai - help me keep it alive in an office?

Post  JimLewis Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:33 pm

I doubt it is possible to keep a rosemary going indoors, but good luck.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Was gifted a rosemary bonsai - help me keep it alive in an office? Empty Re: Was gifted a rosemary bonsai - help me keep it alive in an office?

Post  john jones Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:24 pm

JimLewis wrote:I doubt it is possible to keep a rosemary going indoors, but good luck.

I haven't been able to do it, and I've tried 4 times. The best I could do was 2 winters - keeping her outdoors when the temp was above 50F.

But maybe it's just me.

john jones

Back to top Go down

Post  Twisted Trees Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:06 am

mmahoney wrote:Hello all!

I was gifted a rosemary bonsai for Valentine's Day to keep in my office in Massachusetts, USA (zone 6a?). However, I've done some reading and realized that I may not have enough light. My cube gets no direct sun, and if I put it on my top shelf it would only get ambient light, as I'm one cube away from the window. I do have a CFL bulb in a table lamp and a tube fluorescent light under one of my shelves. I've read that people winter their plants under fluorescents, but as I hoped to keep this in my office, would it be ok if I kept it under fluorescents year-round?

The plant came with a tray and gravel to go under the pot to help with humidity control. Does it need any other special help? I'm not sure how old the plant is either; its about 11 inches tall. I'm not concerned with pruning or shaping it yet, just helping it thrive.

I really love plants and keep a summer garden, but I've never worked with a bonsai before, or with such unideal conditions. The tree also came from 1-800-Flowers (the pot seemed so cold when delivered!) so I'm worried its not in the best shape to begin with. The little information packet says not to be concerned if it drops its needles while it adjusts, but I do find that thought concerning and would like to prevent that if I could.

Thanks so much in advance, and my rosemary thanks you too!
Melissa
I wanted a tree that could travel around in my car on the dashboard with my plastic Jesus...  Try getting a plant that grows indoors for a bonsai.  Ficus can be a good indoor plant or jade.
Twisted Trees
Twisted Trees

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay Sinclair Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:57 pm

I have often heard that rosemary is difficult to keep alive indoors, but I have not had a problem. My rosemary plants are not bonsai (although they might be someday), but they winter happily under fluorescent lights. The lights are directly over them, and just a few inches away. I think that this may be important - they seem to like a lot of light. We keep the house relatively cool, <70° F, which may make a difference, too.

They go outside once the weather warms up, so I can't speak to keeping them indoors year round.

As was mentioned above, jade, ficus, and schefflera are good choices for indoor bonsai.
Jay Sinclair
Jay Sinclair

Back to top Go down

Was gifted a rosemary bonsai - help me keep it alive in an office? Empty Rosemary in Office

Post  bonsaisr Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:25 pm

Dear Mr. Mahoney. The plant you want for your office conditions is an aspidistra. Forget the rosemary.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down