The endless winter . . .

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The endless winter . . .

Post  JimLewis on Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:47 pm

We (in North Carolina!!!!) are supposed to get 10-12 inches of snow today and tonight!!!!!

YUK

Jim Lewis - lewisjk@windstream.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Re: The endless winter . . .

Post  Russell Coker on Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:44 pm

Just cold rain here, thank god.

The first person I hear complain about the heat this summer gets punched in the throat.

Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  DougB on Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:03 pm

I'll trade you Jim. We have almost 4in from yesterday. Already today about another 2 inches, expecting several more. BUT that is not the problem! Expecting almost an inch of freezing rain and that will bring down most electrical power lines. No power, no heat, no water, just cold -- Guess will have to figure out how to care for my tropicals. Take care.

DougB

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis on Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:58 pm

Yeah. I hate ice storms. We lost power for 7 days after one in 2005..

Jim Lewis - lewisjk@windstream.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis on Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:53 pm

Two plus inches and still falling.

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  john jones on Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:32 am

Best of luck to you.

It's been below zero F in Iowa so many days now I have lost count. Minus 15, Minus 18 . . . 50-60 mph winds. I can't keep up.

The Iowegian natives here tell me this has been one rough ole winter - and it's not done yet. I'm going to feel grateful if my junipers survive. Three of them have severe die-back from the weather.

john jones

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis on Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:42 am

DOUBLE YUK!

Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis on Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:37 pm

6-8 inches -- more in some places.

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  RKatzin on Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:22 pm

Ha! And you thought global warming meant balmy weather!

Out here on the west coast we've got the old pineapple express, a band of storms reaching back across the Pacific all the way to Hawaii. The rain is on!

Funny thing is, on the east side of the Cascades they are calling for extreme drought conditions. On the west side of the Coastals they are issuing flood warnings. Here in the inland valleys it is 40's and 50's with light rain. Pussy willows are popping all over the place.

I enjoy our winters here, but I like the summers even more, no throat punch needed thank you very much. Rick

RKatzin

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Murphy on Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:49 pm

4 inches of ice/snow combo here in N.GA. The driveway and neighborhood will be impassable for days. The kids only went to school on Monday, the rest of the week cancelled. The wife, who was supposed to fly home from Baltimore Wednesday afternoon, won't be able to get home until Saturday at the earliest....I'm quite done with this winter....I want to plant tomatoes now Sad .

Dave Murphy

Back to top Go down

Post  appalachianOwl on Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:08 pm

Someone's got to stick up for it... Woohoo SNOW!!! We should be thankful for all that nature brings us. Sorry to hear of troubles it has braught though Dave.

appalachianOwl

Back to top Go down

Post  prestontolbert on Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:36 pm

I'm with you appy, I love this weather. You can keep your summers.

prestontolbert

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad on Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:06 am

Hee Hee, Oh Russell,

I am sitting and sipping my iced white tea, and enjoying our 70's mornings and nights --------- take a hint, move to the West Indies / Caribbean, Eastern side of a hill or mountain, with a wind tunnel, and a half a degree out of the normal hurricane paths.

Things are starting to grow. Shocked 

Yeah I enjoyed the snow in Philadelphia. London and Florence, I also enjoyed the windchill factor, and I also enjoy a mild climate.

Until later snow folk.
Warm and snugglyraj. Twisted Evil 

Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis on Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:10 pm

We received 15 inches here... and the snow is melting fast ... 60's are predicted for the later part of the week. Hopefully Spring really is around the corner!

Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  amanluthra688 on Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:22 pm

We had a hail storm yesterday. We see hails only in feb and march
This winter was rainy though the winter usually
Is dry. The northern western disturbances have effected us badly.
My ficus has started sprouting.

amanluthra688

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad on Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:30 pm

Today's low - 67 deg.F [ 19.7777 deg.C ]
Held for almost an hour until around 7.00 a.m, then a slow climb to probably 86 deg.F [ 30 deg.C ]
Saturday, off on a Gallery look around with the Presentation College school boys and Art teacher, plus others.

Saturday following is the beginning of Carnival, lots of noise, colour and sinful behaviour Evil or Very Mad Laughing 
Plenty whine up and weird tourists.
Play Mas Darling doh stop

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wu7zji0aiPk

Enjoying the Sun.
I will be 52 soon.
Laters.
K

Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  john jones on Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:27 pm

We've got freezing rain covered with pea-sized hail, and 4-7 inches of snow coming down on top of that. My car is in the shop half a mile away. It might as well be on the other side of town. Glad I've got supplies.

john jones

Back to top Go down

Post  Twisted Trees on Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:47 pm

Khaimraj Seepersad wrote:Today's low - 67 deg.F [ 19.7777 deg.C ]Saturday following is the beginning of Carnival, lots of noise, colour and sinful behaviour Evil or Very Mad Laughing 
Laters.
K
Darn it! we have cold, snow and moral behavior.  Sad 

Twisted Trees

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Murphy on Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:02 pm

The end is in sight, Jim...heavy to severe thunderstorms forecast for tonight- a harbinger of spring Evil or Very Mad .

Dave Murphy

Back to top Go down

Post  AlainK on Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:14 pm

No snow at all all winter here, and very few days of frost, maybe ten or so for the whole season: quite unusual, it's the mildest winter we've had in France since the 1880s!

But rain, rain, rain, and rain: several regions in france have had floods, but the worst was probably taken by our British friends.

I think it's high time that we changed our environmental policies worldwide - this includes of course all the countries that refuse to sign the The Kyoto Protocol in 1997 (and that was 17 years ago!)

A photo of Iris reticulata taken in my garden on 7th February 2014:

At about the same spot on 22nd March 2013:

OK, we all want bigger houses and gardens, nicer expensive yamadori, more comfort, strawberries for Xmas and skiing in Qatar during the World Soccer Cup, but is this really the kind of earth we want to leave to our children when we're gone?...

AlainK

Back to top Go down

Post  leatherback on Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:07 pm

Here in the GerNetherlands we have had no winter at all. 2 nights of frost. Repotting season has arrived, with the first Maples leafing out already, about 6 weeks early..

leatherback

Back to top Go down

Post  gman on Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:26 pm

re-potting here has been delayed.........

gman

Back to top Go down

Post  john jones on Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:41 am

Even the native Iowegians here are complaining about this long, cold, bitter winter.

I lost my oldest Juniper (17 yo). Maybe my only cascade juniper too.

I was not prepared for this kind of winter weather.

john jones

Back to top Go down

Post  john jones on Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:02 pm

I got tired of hearing myself complain about the harsh winter, so I stopped.

Until now.

The temperature was in the high 70s (F) yesterday. It dropped more than 50 degrees (F) in 12 hours, with howling winds all night. This isn't fair!

john jones

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Murphy on Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:43 pm

john jones wrote:I got tired of hearing myself complain about the harsh winter, so I stopped.

Until now.  

The temperature was in the high 70s (F) yesterday.  It dropped more than 50 degrees (F) in 12 hours, with howling winds all night.   This isn't fair!  

But that's not winter weather...that's spring weather Shocked 

Dave Murphy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 4:30 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum