My Greenhouse/cold storage project using the Starplate system

View previous topic View next topic Go down

My Greenhouse/cold storage project using the Starplate system

Post  LittleJoe on Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:07 pm

So, I've been bitten by the bonsai bug pretty hard. I've got several growing in the house. One in the garage and one outside. It's time to expand come spring, but I'll need more room. Luckily I have a good size side yard I'll be taking over.

Prep the area. There was a small greenhouse here a long time ago.

Assemble the base.

I decided I wanted to raise the base so I can add a paver floor at some point. Turned out to be a real blessing in disguise.

Today I added the skeleton (minus the roof struts).

I need to relax on the building for a bit (funds running a little low), but that's okay. Gives me time to think this through with a more visual sense and figure out the orientation. The plan is 1/3 greenhouse and the rest, cold storage and propagation.

Thanks for looking, I'll update as the project moves forward.

Joe

LittleJoe

Back to top Go down

Re: My Greenhouse/cold storage project using the Starplate system

Post  Todd Ellis on Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:11 pm

I'm intrigued, please keep us posted.

Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Just a quick update

Post  LittleJoe on Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:01 pm

Made a little progress in the last 2 weeks.

Added 3 windows, roughed in the door (real rough) added most of the support structure.

The door is going to take more work then I originally though. The plan is to use a storm door that opens in, just have to figure out how to close it in. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

In closing, the view out the front.

Thanks for looking,
Joe

LittleJoe

Back to top Go down

Post  tmmason10 on Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:22 am

Looking good! I can't wait to see the finishe product.

tmmason10

Back to top Go down

Post  Marty Weiser on Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:35 am

I would close in around the door by running pieces of 2x2 from the door frame to the triangular face at 1 foot vertical intervals. These will have nasty compound angle cuts on the ends. I would get them fairly close and then use metal strap on the surface to make the connection. If any of them are particularly floppy you can add an angle bracket to stiffen up the joint. You can then cover it with a flexible panel since it will be be a compound curve.

I also note that your door will have to open inwards which needs to be accounted for in the interior design.

Marty Weiser

Back to top Go down

Post  DougB on Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:34 pm

Looking good. Make sure you plan for water and electric inside. Also a means to cool. Our sun quickly raises the temp to dangerous levels even in winter. As for the door consider it swing out not in. If the door swings in you will loose valuable space inside. Also from a safety standpoint (attacked by a hoard of wasps) it would be easier to quickly get out if the door swings out. There is an outfit in Goldsboro that make home greenhouses and they have a variety of things like fans, heaters, misters, etc. Good folks I have had 2 greenhouses from them. Turner Greenhouses Keep us up to date.

DougB

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleJoe on Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:04 am

Thank you everyone for your advice and support.

Doug,
I am going to run electric to it, but not water. There is a hose bib 20 feet away. Plus I am considering a gutter system and interior rain barrel for heat retention and inside water supply.

You have me re-thinking the door. In order for it to swing out, I would have to move it to the outside and build some kind of add on to accommodate that. I am strongly considering that though.

As to the heating dangers. There are a total of 15 triangle in this build (10 for the walls, 5 on the roof). The plan at present is to only have 4 panels that are poly. 1 each on either side of the door, and the 2 roof panels above that area. Once spring comes, it will mostly be shaded anyway, but catch morning to early afternoon sun in winter.

Again, thanks everyone for your support and interest,
Joe

LittleJoe

Back to top Go down

Post  arihato on Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:46 am

Like the design, could you take a picture of the brackets you use to fasten the struts?
Is it a kit or self designed?
I would place the door outside the structure, turning out, it would make the interiour much roomier.
Looking forward to see the progress.

arihato

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleJoe on Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:41 am

arihato wrote:Like the design, could you take a picture of the brackets you use to fasten the struts?
Is it a kit or self designed?
I would place the door outside the structure, turning out, it would make the interiour much roomier.
Looking forward to see the progress.

It's kinda a kit. I got 11 star plates:

and the hardware to attach the skeleton of the structure - minus the lumber for about $120.00. You can find it here: http://www.strombergschickens.com/starplate_building_system

I'm thinking the door will be moved to the outside. I just need to work that part out.

Thanks for looking,
Joe

LittleJoe

Back to top Go down

Post  arihato on Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:07 am

Interesting, thanks for the link.

arihato

Back to top Go down

Moved the door to the outside

Post  LittleJoe on Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:47 pm

You guys convinced me. I moved the door to the outside and added 3 of the roof strut's.

Thanks for looking,
Joe

LittleJoe

Back to top Go down

Post  ironhorse on Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:08 pm

Looking good - I have a 10 x 6 foot greenhouse with mains electric supply and it's invaluable, my new 'office' in fact since retiring!

Dave

ironhorse

Back to top Go down

Post  mikebonsai on Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:24 pm

This looks interesting, waiting for the finished product!

Mike

mikebonsai

Back to top Go down

Made some progress

Post  LittleJoe on Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:26 pm

Winters coming fast, I need to hurry!

LittleJoe

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis on Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:08 pm

How have you anchored this to the ground? Here in the lower Blue Ridge we get some terrible winds, which is why I've never considered a greenhouse (aside from my total lack of carpentry skills, of course). I suppose in Durham they're not as bad, but still . . .

Jim Lewis - lewisjk@windstream.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  kevin stoeveken on Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:35 pm

very cool design, almost yurt-like, but i think you might end up wishing you went with larger windows...?

unless your plan is to put skylights in on top
(especially with that dramatic overhang...)

i believe you said something about 1-2 3rds propagation and the rest greenhouse, so i reckon you already took that into account...
as in maybe the front part will be where all the light will be coming in (not being sure what the NSEW orientation is)

cant wait to see it done

AAC Original Milwaukee Wi. Chapter - North America

aka beer city snake
link to ARBOR ARTS COLLECTIVE BLOG

kevin stoeveken

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleJoe on Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:38 pm

JimLewis wrote:How have you anchored this to the ground?  Here in the lower Blue Ridge we get some terrible winds, which is why I've never considered a greenhouse (aside from my total lack of carpentry skills, of course).  I suppose in Durham they're not as bad, but still . . .

Jim, I don't have it anchored at all, It's nestled between 2 homes, the angles should help cut the wind and it is quite heavy.

LittleJoe

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleJoe on Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:43 pm

beer city snake wrote:very cool design, almost yurt-like, but i think you might end up wishing you went with larger windows...?

unless your plan is to put skylights in on top
(especially with that dramatic overhang...)

i believe you said something about 1-2 3rds propagation and the rest greenhouse, so i reckon you already took that into account...
as in maybe the front part will be where all the light will be coming in (not being sure what the NSEW orientation is)

cant wait to see it done

The windows are mostly for ventilation. Looking at the picture, the sections on the left (including the roof) will be covered in plastic for now and Polycarbinate eventually. The plastic side is facing ESE, but receives almost no direct sunshine at this time. Ones the leafs drop, it will receive plenty of sun for the winter months.

I can't wait for it to be finished myself. It's been a lot of work and probably won't be completely finished for several years. I have big plans bounce

LittleJoe

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 10:51 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum