Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is my Japanese Black Pine Diseased?

+5
Khaimraj Seepersad
M. Frary
giga
Jason Eider
Dalton Duffett
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Is my Japanese Black Pine Diseased? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is my Japanese Black Pine Diseased?

Post  M. Frary Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:10 pm

Twisted Trees. I just saw your rely to this thread and am a little confused. If you're zone 5 and the JBP are zone 5 what's the problem? Are these trees that delicate? What kind of winter protection are you giving your trees.I should think they should make it just fine out of the wind. Really curious.

Thank You.
 Mike Frary

M. Frary

Back to top Go down

Is my Japanese Black Pine Diseased? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is my Japanese Black Pine Diseased?

Post  Twisted Trees Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:26 pm

M. Frary wrote:Twisted Trees. I just saw your rely to this thread and am a little confused. If you're zone 5 and the JBP are zone 5 what's the problem? Are these trees that delicate? What kind of winter protection are you giving your trees.I should think they should make it just fine out of the wind. Really curious.

Thank You.
 Mike Frary
It is rare to find a site which puts JBP in a zone 5. They are usually zone 6 or higher. The first batch I tried about 10 years ago all died in the ground when it got to -20 that winter. All of mine are now in nursery pots and in a cold room under my patio which I can allow basement heat into when it gets below zero.
Twisted Trees
Twisted Trees

Back to top Go down

Post  Dalton Duffett Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:26 pm

Twisted Trees wrote:Also, how compacted is that soil?  Does water soak in immediately or run off?
Both. A little runs down the side but most gets soaked in. I know it needs a repot soon.
Dalton Duffett
Dalton Duffett

Back to top Go down

Post  Dalton Duffett Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:29 pm

Twisted Trees wrote:Are you familiar with how to do this?
More or less. I know you basically pull them in an upward direction and you make sure to leave certain amounts on different parts of the tree, but I don't know the specifics. Should I pluck the needles before I repot it? Which should come first? The soil it's in is alright, it won't die in it yet, but it's not ideal.
Dalton Duffett
Dalton Duffett

Back to top Go down

Post  Twisted Trees Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:02 pm

Dalton Duffett wrote:
Twisted Trees wrote:Are you familiar with how to do this?
More or less. I know you basically pull them in an upward direction and you make sure to leave certain amounts on different parts of the tree, but I don't know the specifics. Should I pluck the needles before I repot it? Which should come first? The soil it's in is alright, it won't die in it yet, but it's not ideal.
Here, http://www.adamsbonsai.com/pine_foliage.pdf is a very in depth article on growth control for pines by Julian Adams of Adams Bonsai in Lynchburg Virginia.  Julian is well respected for his analysis of pine training techniques.  As for the soil, judging from the photographs I'd say it needs re-potting into appropriate pine bonsai soil in the spring just after the buds begin to swell and before they open.  If you know someone that is proficient in bonsai to help with this it's recommended.  In the meantime poke some holes straight down into the soil, about 5-6, to help water get down into it.
Twisted Trees
Twisted Trees

Back to top Go down

Post  Dalton Duffett Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:30 pm

Twisted Trees wrote:As for the soil, judging from the photographs I'd say it needs re-potting into appropriate pine bonsai soil in the spring just after the buds begin to swell and before they open.  If you know someone that is proficient in bonsai to help with this it's recommended.
What do you mean by "pine soil"? What's different? I know it has to be slightly acidic, but other than that what's different from normal bonsai soil?
Dalton Duffett
Dalton Duffett

Back to top Go down

Post  Twisted Trees Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:37 pm

Dalton Duffett wrote:
Twisted Trees wrote:As for the soil, judging from the photographs I'd say it needs re-potting into appropriate pine bonsai soil in the spring just after the buds begin to swell and before they open.  If you know someone that is proficient in bonsai to help with this it's recommended.
What do you mean by "pine soil"? What's different? I know it has to be slightly acidic, but other than that what's different from normal bonsai soil?
Pines need a coarser larger sized particles to promote good drainage. Some people use up to a 60% akadama in their pine soil mixes. A new trend is to also add horticultural charcoal to many soil mixes.
Twisted Trees
Twisted Trees

Back to top Go down

Post  Brian Van Fleet Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:25 am

From the photos, it looks like the discolored needles are the old needles...they're closer to the interior. New (last year's) needles are the furthest from the trunk, and seem to be ok.

Your pine needs to be outside, and should be brought in to an unheated garage when temps drop much below 25f. Mine have sat outside unprotected in temps down to the low teens; they're fine but I don't like it.

Get help when it's time to repot, but wait until the new buds start to elongate just a little...probably another 4-6 weeks.
Brian Van Fleet
Brian Van Fleet

Back to top Go down

Post  FrankP999 Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:00 am

If you can access youtube, watch Ryan Neil's lecture https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yn1FiRw2JBo

It has the basics on black pine care

FrankP999

Back to top Go down

Post  Dalton Duffett Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:48 am

Thank you guys for all the help! I have an android phone and a windows tablet, so that iTunes link didn't help much lmao.
Dalton Duffett
Dalton Duffett

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next