Rhizophora mangle

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Rhizophora mangle

Post  giga on Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:55 pm

I don't post here often but I do lurk a lot lol. Thought I'd share my new project that I'm almost finished with. there are two of them and have been grown indoors most of the time(couple summers were spent outside when I first got them 6 years ago). This is actually my reef aquarium that I combined bonsai into it Very Happy  Want to hear the cool part? they have been grown completely with high powered LED's.

giga

Back to top Go down

Re: Rhizophora mangle

Post  Russell Coker on Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:02 am

Well that certainly is interesting!

We have (had?) a small population of blank mangroves establish near the barrier islands off the Alabama/Mississippi coast. It was the northern-most population... it will be interesting to see if they make it through this terrible winter we are having.

R

Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  luc tran on Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:45 am

WOW I love it.

luc tran

Back to top Go down

Post  giga on Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:58 am

Russell Coker wrote:Well that certainly is interesting!

We have (had?) a small population of blank mangroves establish near the barrier islands off the Alabama/Mississippi coast.  It was the northern-most population... it will be interesting to see if they make it through this terrible winter we are having.

R

did you say black mangrove?  Smile 

giga

Back to top Go down

Post  amanluthra688 on Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:07 am

Thanks for sharing.
Two hobbies fish and bonsai
Great.....

Aman

amanluthra688

Back to top Go down

Post  Dreamcast on Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:33 pm

Giga, Wow! that's such a cool and clean setup you got there Very Happy

Dreamcast

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleJoe on Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:28 am

Very interesting, could you grow bald Cyprus in the same way?

LittleJoe

Back to top Go down

Post  Andre Beaurain on Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:03 am

That is stunning. How do you make the salt water? Or do you live close to the sea. I always wanted to grow mangroves, its almost the only group of plants that I dont have in my collection. Dit you grow it form seed or did you transplant seedlings.

It also interesting that you only use LED. Dont they need a warm light as well.

Little Joe, bald cypress you can stuck in normal water if you want. But not salt.

Love and light.
ps. My first post for this year. Have a glorious year everyone!, like always!!

When I try to use the apostrophe, my computer freezes, is it only me, do I have a virus? Fiona Help?

Andre Beaurain

Back to top Go down

Post  giga on Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:22 pm

LittleJoe wrote:Very interesting, could you grow bald Cyprus in the same way?

I don't see why not,but I'm not sure if there a true tropical-will they survive indoor forever? Mangroves are tropical so they been indoors for a few years now and growing just fine. A fresh water planted tank with bald cypress would be pretty cool!

Last edited by giga on Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:29 pm; edited 2 times in total

giga

Back to top Go down

Post  giga on Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:28 pm

Andre Beaurain wrote:That is stunning.  How do you make the salt water?  Or do you live close to the sea.  I always wanted to grow mangroves, its almost the only group of plants that I dont have in my collection.  Dit you grow it form seed or did you transplant seedlings.  

It also interesting that you only use LED.  Dont they need a warm light as well.

Little Joe, bald cypress you can stuck in normal water if you want.  But not salt.  

Love and light.
ps.  My first post for this year.  Have a glorious year everyone!, like always!!

When I try to use the apostrophe, my computer freezes, is it only me, do I have a virus?  Fiona Help?

I make the salt water from marine salt you buy at a local fish store and use rodi water from the rodi unit I have.

The led fixture has these leds

1 x 5600k Bxra 5300 50w each
2 x Vero 18 4k's 30w each
4 x Luxeon M royal blue 10w each
6 x Rebel ES 3 up's(Deep red,blue,cyan) 9 w each
6 x 400nm violet 2w each
6 x 420nm violet 2 w each

so it's pushing some serious light and fullspectrum about 12000 lumen'ish

giga

Back to top Go down

Post  Dreamcast on Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:06 pm

giga wrote:
Andre Beaurain wrote:That is stunning.  How do you make the salt water?  Or do you live close to the sea.  I always wanted to grow mangroves, its almost the only group of plants that I dont have in my collection.  Dit you grow it form seed or did you transplant seedlings.  

It also interesting that you only use LED.  Dont they need a warm light as well.

Little Joe, bald cypress you can stuck in normal water if you want.  But not salt.  

Love and light.
ps.  My first post for this year.  Have a glorious year everyone!, like always!!

When I try to use the apostrophe, my computer freezes, is it only me, do I have a virus?  Fiona Help?

I make the salt water from marine salt you buy at a local fish store and use rodi water from the rodi unit I have.

The led fixture has these leds

1 x 5600k Bxra 5300  50w each
2 x Vero 18 4k's       30w each
4 x Luxeon M royal blue  10w each
6 x Rebel ES 3 up's(Deep red,blue,cyan) 9 w each
6 x 400nm violet 2w each
6 x 420nm violet 2 w each

so it's pushing some serious light and fullspectrum about 12000 lumen'ish

Giga, Yeah now we are talking high quality LED's! have you build it your self?

Would love to see some pictures of the fixture if that's possible?

Dreamcast

Back to top Go down

Post  giga on Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:02 am

Yeah everything you see in the picture was build from the ground up by me, including the tank!

giga

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 7:16 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum