Ficus Burtt-davyi - transforming the ugly duckling.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Ficus Burtt-davyi - transforming the ugly duckling.

Post  lennard on Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:07 am

Starting serious bonsai growing in 2009 I got this ugly Ficus from a young up-and-coming bonsai artist selling his father's stock without his permission!

At that stage I was hunting for the species and did not care if it had potential or not. The main reason I bought it was to obtain some cuttings from it. Soon afterward I got some better material from another guy and decided to give the tree a go.

The tree October 2009 after growing freely from the time I bought it:

This is the tree the same month after chopping the leader and cutting back a few twigs:

That sure looks ugly!

The trunk had a nice line and taper - the biggest problem was the big ugly bulge that was left after the tree was chopped by the first owner.  As soon as the tree recovered from the cut back I have cut away the ugly bulge leaving an even uglier wound. To help the wound grow over I only cut back twigs once a year. I also realized that I would have to hide the wound for a few years until it has grown over - deadwood is not an option when it comes to Ficus.... no hollow trunk for this ugly duckling! The tree was also planted into a shallow but wider pot and I feed it on a regular basis with organics.

The tree recovered well and in 2012 it has changed into something!

An ugly duckling changing into a swan:

The wound is growing over nicely - another two years and the chop mark will be gone. From 2012 I cut back growth regularly to get some twiggy growth going. In January 2014
I repotted the tree into a bonsai pot:

I had to cut two long coiling roots - to help the tree recover I also cut back the twigs. The tree will be left in a shaded area to recover. The tree is about 10cm high.

Any comments or advice will be welcomed.

(Some info on the species here: http://lennardsbonsaibeginnings.blogspot.com/2009_10_22_archive.html . What most people do not know that this species is a rambler growing on rocky cliffs.)

Lennard

lennard

Back to top Go down

Re: Ficus Burtt-davyi - transforming the ugly duckling.

Post  Jerry Meislik on Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:27 pm

Lennard,
Great transformation.
Jerry

Jerry Meislik

Back to top Go down

Post  KennedyMarx on Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:13 am

Love the progression.This is my favorite ficus. I just have trouble finding any that are very thick. The ones I have right now are much skinnier than yours.

KennedyMarx

Back to top Go down

Post  Hank Miller on Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:15 pm

Very nice.  One small comment - when you remove large branches  it is a good idea to leave a stub which eventually will die back into the trunk.  After the die back has occurred  the stub can be removed. After hollowing out the dead portion in the trunk   a callus over the wound  will form without an unsightly bulge.   Hank

Hank Miller

Back to top Go down

Thanks.

Post  lennard on Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:05 pm

Jerry Meislik wrote:Lennard,
Great transformation.
Jerry

Thanks Jerry.

Lennard

lennard

Back to top Go down

Thicker material.

Post  lennard on Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:10 pm

KennedyMarx wrote:Love the progression.This is my favorite ficus. I just have trouble finding any that are very thick. The ones I have right now are much skinnier than yours.

Thanks for the positive reply.

To get the trunks to become thick one must make use of this species being a rambler. Leaving one growth to grow freely the trunks below that growth do get thick very quickly.

Lennard

lennard

Back to top Go down

Wounds.

Post  lennard on Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:14 pm

Hank Miller wrote:Very nice.  One small comment - when you remove large branches  it is a good idea to leave a stub which eventually will die back into the trunk.  After the die back has occurred  the stub can be removed. After hollowing out the dead portion in the trunk   a callus over the wound  will form without an unsightly bulge.   Hank

Thanks Hank.

Never thought of doing chops this way - very logical! The stub will die back leaving a minimum amount of scarring.

Thanks for the tip - will definitely use it!

A pic to show the height better:

Lennard

lennard

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 4:03 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum