Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help identify this plant

+3
fiona
Russell Coker
yogesh
7 posters

Go down

Help identify this plant Empty Help identify this plant

Post  yogesh Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:21 am

Please help identify this plant .. the plant is from Hilly area..
thank you

Help identify this plant <a href=Help identify this plant Img_2016" />
yogesh
yogesh

Back to top Go down

Help identify this plant Empty Re: Help identify this plant

Post  Russell Coker Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:02 pm

it looks like what we grow as Chamaecyparis ericoides
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:22 pm

Is there any chance of some better photos please Yog?
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  David Brunner Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:21 pm

Hello Yog - as Fiona has said, a clearer picture would be great.  Is this a plant you collected and which is native to India, or is something grown horticulturally?

David B.

David Brunner

Back to top Go down

Help identify this plant Empty Cherry or not

Post  yogesh Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:44 am

Hi,
Someone identified this plant as a variety of Cherry. I have seen tiny flowers a year back.
it has reddish stem and grow as a shrub.
leaves are always in adundance and dark green ( the yellowing is rare as seen in the pic)  with smooth edges ( a Cherry plant doesn' have smooth edge.)

regards,
Yogesh

Help identify this plant <a href=Help identify this plant Img_2020" />

Help identify this plant <a href=Help identify this plant Img_2018" />
yogesh
yogesh

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:14 pm

Thank you.

You're welcome.
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  yogesh Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:54 pm

Hey Russell ... Apologies.. my message was nt clear..
This is another plant where I need help..
Will send better pics of the plant u helped identify..
yogesh
yogesh

Back to top Go down

Help identify this plant Empty Re: help to identify this plant

Post  ortizdhs Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:55 pm

The last one looks like a Malphigia glabra, it is sometimes called Caribbean cherry. In Spanish is known as Acerola.
Regards

ortizdhs

Back to top Go down

Post  Vance Wood Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:02 pm

yog wrote:Please help identify this plant .. the plant is from Hilly area..
thank you

Help identify this plant <a href=Help identify this plant Img_2016" />

Also look a bit like Cryptomeria.
Vance Wood
Vance Wood

Back to top Go down

Post  David Brunner Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:14 pm

Hello Yog – Ortizdhs could be right about your plant being Malpigia.   The leaves which are opposite on the stem and with entire margins are correct for Malpigia and rule out a “standard” cherry which would have leaves alternate on the stem and with serrate margins.

David B.

David Brunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Vance Wood Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:01 am

David Brunner wrote:Hello Yog – Ortizdhs could be right about your plant being Malpigia.   The leaves which are opposite on the stem and with entire margins are correct for Malpigia and rule out a “standard” cherry which would have leaves alternate on the stem and with serrate margins.

David B.

I know better than to get into discussions about the identity of a tree I am only marginally familiar with and Malphigia is one of them.  I had one  years ago and this sure does not look what I had.  The fact that it has leaves all the way into what appears to be three year old growth/wood makes me doubt the Malpjigia. The fact that the growth looks more like coniferous needles and not leaves, which is what I remember the Malphigia as having again leads me to think it something else.
Vance Wood
Vance Wood

Back to top Go down

Post  Nigel Parke Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:36 am

yog wrote:Hi,
Someone identified this plant as a variety of Cherry. I have seen tiny flowers a year back.
it has reddish stem and grow as a shrub.
leaves are always in adundance and dark green ( the yellowing is rare as seen in the pic)  with smooth edges ( a Cherry plant doesn' have smooth edge.)

regards,
Yogesh

Help identify this plant <a href=Help identify this plant Img_2020" />

Help identify this plant <a href=Help identify this plant Img_2018" />

Yog,
Though the photos are not that great, this plant does look like Malpighia emarginata (glabra) also called Barbados Cherry/Acerola Cherry.
here's a link to some information on it:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbados_cherry

The first picture is too fuzzy to hazard a guess but I'll agree that it does look coniferous.

Hope this helps.

Nigel
Nigel Parke
Nigel Parke

Back to top Go down

Help identify this plant Empty Re:cherry or not

Post  ortizdhs Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:06 am

Vance Wood wrote:
David Brunner wrote:Hello Yog – Ortizdhs could be right about your plant being Malpigia.   The leaves which are opposite on the stem and with entire margins are correct for Malpigia and rule out a “standard” cherry which would have leaves alternate on the stem and with serrate margins.

David B.

I know better than to get into discussions about the identity of a tree I am only marginally familiar with and Malphigia is one of them.  I had one  years ago and this sure does not look what I had.  The fact that it has leaves all the way into what appears to be three year old growth/wood makes me doubt the Malpjigia.  The fact that the growth looks more like coniferous needles and not leaves, which is what I remember the Malphigia as having again leads me to think it something else.

Mr. Wood:

I hardly post anything in this site. I only post when i'm 100% sure which is the case here. I lived in the tropics all my life. As a child it was common to climb on a "Acerola" tree, Malpighia in the international bonsai vocabulary and had a feast when in season. Maybe what you had was not a Malpighia glabra after all.

Regards

Ortiz

ortizdhs

Back to top Go down

Help identify this plant Empty thankyou

Post  yogesh Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:03 am

Hi Ortiz, Woods, Nigel Parke, David

thanks for great insight ..

its seems to be (Malpighia glabra.. will also post another plant of the same type....
they are not good at wiring .. just read that cutting stem is better to style and branching.
they are shrubs and one is a 10inch pot doesn't thiken for an inch... the one i posted is in garden and have a small trunck of 1-2 inch .....

is it a an average bonsai material or poor.

regards,
Yogesh
yogesh
yogesh

Back to top Go down

Post  David Brunner Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:58 pm

Vance – I think there is a bit of confusion here. Yogesh has posted two plants for identification. The first one is certainly a conifer but the photo is blurry so accurate identification is difficult. I believe this is the plant you were referring to. The second is clearly a dicot, not a conifer, and has been identified as Malpighia by Ortiz and others.

Many thanks for your assistance in helping Yogesh identify his plants!
David B.

David Brunner

Back to top Go down

Post  ortizdhs Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:33 pm

David Brunner wrote:Vance – I think there is a bit of confusion here.  Yogesh has posted two plants for identification.  The first one is certainly a conifer but the photo is blurry so accurate identification is difficult.  I believe this is the plant you were referring to.  The second is clearly a dicot, not a conifer, and has been identified as Malpighia by Ortiz and others.

Many thanks for your assistance in helping Yogesh identify his plants!
David B.

100% with David, I didn't even think about that. That is why is always important to start a new thread for each tree. Well at least we were able to help him identify his trees.  Very Happy 

ortizdhs

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down